Asafa 9.74 in Rieti!!!!!!

yea he looked way more ripped and lean than he did in osaka,charlie was right.I wonder how he got that ripped in such a short time

That’s been my whole point!

I noticed that he was leaner as well. Interesting. Thanks for Charlie’s to expertise.

I said 4 weeks ago that Asafa had the ability to run 9.72s and this run more than proves it. I’m so excited to hear his official 60m split.

IMO this is the first performance “better” than Ben’s 9.79… Is he the greatest sprint talent in history?!

He choked in 2004 olympics. (placed 4th or 5th.)
He choked more that once against Justin gatlin.
He choked at the world championships.

But far worse than all of that, he was VERY tense in the commonwealth 100m final (even though there was no competition.) The crappy commonwealth final should be a jog to asafa powell but he was very tense.

Why disrespect Tyson Gay. He beat Asafa when and where it mattered, despite Asafa being the more gifted and talented athlete.

Big respect to Tyson gay.

Look, when u run 9.77 three times and a 9.74, but you don’t have a world or Olympic gold medal (despite having competed in two olympics and a wc,) somethings wrong.

You guys are “championing” him just becuase he kicked butt at an irrelevant italian grand-prix.

More-over, he is DAM lucky Justin Gatlin got banned from the sport, otherwise Asafa would have been completely smoked, and would not have even made it to the podium (for the second time in an olympics.)

You people would love his ability just as I would, yet he can’t win when it matters.

So F**ck the italian grand-prix. The faster Asafa runs the less respect I have for him, it just shows how much he chokes in the bigger races.

You DON’T go round championing a man who runs 7.34 seconds for 100m yet can’t win a decent medal in the last 5 years.

When Asafa runs his 5.40 seconds for the 100m
within 3 years I will spit at the television in disgust, at the biggest choker in the sport.

I don’t have half of his ability, but I never choked, and never gave up in a race, I allways ran over the line. God gave him speed but he has no mental toughness what so -ever.

(mmmm, I wonder why. Probably becuase he’s so dam talented, has allways had it so easy, and there-for, doesn’t know what it means to fight, or maintain confidence under pressure.)

He’s a Mike Tyson performer. Kicks every ones butt, but when he races some-one good, he comes un-stuck.

he better ask his preacher father to pray to God that justin gatlin never returns to the sport, and that Walter Dix never reaches his potential etc…

Yes, I feel that strongly about it.

Yall are just a bunch of AP bashers. He didnt miss his peak! He ran slow in the early part of the year because he was coming off an injury and had limited meets. And btw forum this is not the first great race since ben j ran. Know your sport, please!

great points,he is very lucky justin gatlin is not running or else he would always have to settle for second or third.Do you believe Walter Dix is a better talent or has more potential than asafa powell

How the heck do you know that. The man ran 9.74 slowing down more then Ben did in the semi final of a no-name meet.

ITS MUCH HARDER TO RUN FAST WHEN NO ONE IS PUSHING YOU!

The ignorance on this forum, for this thread is disturbing!

2 Olympics? I thought he’s only been in one.

If I am not mistaken he ran his second fastest time ever in the 2004 Oly final. That’s not a choke.

FWIW - I do think he has somewhat “choked” BUT there is more to it than that.

Gatlin never got close to 9.77 before or after he ran it that one time.

I hope Asafa gets his Oly gold and another WR. I like him.

Not for Asafa Powell. He runs his best when no one is pushing him. By the way, I do know the sport I have followed for 24 years.

Yes, he’s a nice guy. And a choker. He was tipped to win the 2004 olympic final, but didn’t manage to get on to the podium.

The fact that Asafa runs 9.7 as a matter of routine, is why I’m dissapointed by his non-showings in the bigger races. By the way, earlier in the 2006 season, he had a dual grand-prix meet with Justin gatlin and Gatlin recorded the faster time. Gatlin has beat Asafa more than once. I don’t think Aafa has ever beaten gatlin.

justin gatlin had immense talent you guys should know that from the numerous butt whoppings he asafa powell, if he was still competing i’m sure he would have better his 9.77 time also and who else runs the 100m in 42 steps.Justin gatlin had potential to be one the best

Goose,

You mean like the time he smoked Gay for his third world record. Didnt he practically tear his hip off the last time everyone pulled the choke card on him. Know your sport. Refer to Ir1400’s post if you want to argue. I cant deal with this non-sense anymore.

I don’t think Walter Dix is more gifted, but it’s close. Walter Dix is one of the guys that could challenge powell if he (dix) reaches his potential. But then, Walter dix might just be an ‘early developer’ or SO tuned in to the collegiate season that he might not acclimatize to the european grand-prix circuit. A few Americans have fallen trap to that situation. Xavier Carter and Wallace Spearmon also have issues. I just think people are rubbishing Tyson Gay here. More power to him for winning where it mattered.

Also, for me, the best performance of the year is still Tyson Gay’s 19.62 200m final in the U.s.a championships, after 4 rounds of the 100m and 4th round of the 200m.

Are you serious, Walter Dix had one the arguably best, if not the best, college careers ever!

You don’t get brownie points for getting injured.
It’s a cold (but glorius) sport and thats it. If you get injured, tough. Ben was more injured than Asafa powell has been,( 2 hammy injuries in 1988 for Ben,) but still managed to cross the line first in the olympic final.

Linford christie injured his big toe in the winter of 95, and was on true shedule to break the then world record. He didn’t go round crying about it, so you don’t know about that stuff do you?

Ok then, lets all go round champoning Asafa powell and his ‘various’ injuries. Poor Asafa Powell and his preperation issues. Man, he’s so wonderfull, becuase he has preperation issues and gets a few niggling injuries from time to time. So what.

the best thing about Asafa Powell is his nice personality. Shame he doesn’t get the gold medals, which in THIS sport, counts a lot more.

walter dix have a great college career I can’t wait till he goes pro and Trindon Holliday

That’s what I’m talking about, some of the americans who had great collegiate seasons, didn’t manage to adjust to the european grand-prix circuit. It’s as if they didn’t realise that it would be better to peak in Augast than May/June. A few of them that are capable medal contenders for Olympic leval, don’t seem to get used to the idea that the collage chmpionships, and u.s.a chamionships are not the ‘main event.’ They are great events, but the best american athletes would do better to prepare themselves Equally well for Europe and the world and olympic finals, not just the domestic meets in America.

tyson gay start is still not great if he keeps improving on it he could 9.72,because no one including asafa powell has his top end speed