Article on David Boston/Poliquin

there is also a pdf file in the link below - mag article with pics of Boston doing trap bar deads, inclines, squats etc

Rock bottom squats no less

http://www.charlespoliquin.net/featured_athletes/feb_2003_david_boston.htm

DATE: 10-30-2002
STATUS: probable SKINNY: Boston is listed as probable on the Cardinals’ injury report with a leg injury.

DATE: 11-01-2002
STATUS: News SKINNY: Boston returned to practice on Thursday.

DATE: 11-04-2002
STATUS: News SKINNY: Boston was held to one catch for 14 yards on Sunday against the Rams.

DATE: 11-06-2002
STATUS: questionable SKINNY: Boston will undergo an MRI on his right knee and is questionable for Sunday’s game against Seattle, the Associated Press reports.

DATE: 11-08-2002
STATUS: Out SKINNY: Boston will get a second opinion on the torn tendon in his right knee before getting placed on the IR, Sporting News Radio reports.

DATE: 11-13-2002
STATUS: Out SKINNY: Boston will undergo season-ending knee surgery next week in Dallas, the team announced Tuesday.

DATE: 12-11-2002
STATUS: IR SKINNY: Boston, who is an unrestricted free agent after this season, is interested in re-signing with the Cardinals, the Arizona Republic reports

DATE: 01-30-2003
STATUS: IR SKINNY: Boston faces a possible fine and suspension by the NFL after pleading no contest Wednesday to charges of driving under the influence, the Arizona Republic reports.

a season that went from bad to worse…39 pounds in an offseason? i hear CP when he said his diet was bad and training was worse, but it reminded me of the movie “the program”. james cain’s character, when he was asked about defensive end steve latimer’s sudden weight gain says “a player can easily put on 25 pounds in the offseason if he hits the gym hard enough”

How come alot of Poliquin’s guys get injured?Mo vaughn and Edgar Martinez also got injured.Maybe Poliquin is not that good of a coach if these guy’s are getting injured.

Terminator2,
How many athletes does Poliquin train and what percentage of them get injured? Is it more or less than other trainers of his calibre?

i think mo vaughn got injuried as a result of his terrible diet. the guy is just too big for anything functional and put too much stress on his body with excessive body fat…hate to give him the “jump and see if it jiggles” test.

You can’t make generalistaions like that - I mean Adam Archelutta - for all his ballistic style training still got injured himself as well.

Injuries all come with the realm of professional sports.

did Boston work with Poliquin the year before his break out year?

Originally posted by t-bone
did Boston work with Poliquin the year before his break out year?

yes.

in my first post i didnt mean to infer that all CP’s guys get hurt. i think hes a great stength and conditioning guy, i just wanted to show the other side of that article. including the DUI, as off field conduct is as important as break out seasons.

yes off field conduct is important, but not relevant in this case. i believe the point of colin posting the article was so we could discuss CP’s methods.

Charles´ knowledge is amazing when it comes to strength training. He does know strength. I have worked with him as a sprint coach where he was doing the strength programs. He is always looking for new things and new knowledge.

But I think we have got off topic and are discussing Poliquin the person not his training methods. He will get an athlete big and strong.

One other point - the article is not written by him (Kim Goss) so I am not pointing fingers at him necessarily (whose idea was it?), but look at the deep squat photos of Boston from the URL in CoolColJ ´s post. What you see is not what you get. His heels are on a block. This will not increase your poundage, but will allow you to get deep if you lack the flexibility in any of the muscles that influence the moving joints (ankle, knee, hip). Why brush out the board under the heels??? Have a look for yourselves. Interesting.

Well spotted Carson!

So maybe CP isnt the perfect coach after all! :smiley:

Originally posted by gf_200
Well spotted Carson!

So maybe CP isnt the perfect coach after all! :smiley:

He certainly isn’t … he trains a lot of big name athletes but that doesn’t make him a great coach. He was helped by friends in high places, good publicity and well … contacts that I can’t discuss.

That having been said, while Boston’s muscle gains are impressive, his lifts aren’t (at least not to me). I’ve trained and saw a lot of athletes with much less genetic potential than Boston (and less pharmaceutical help) post much bigger numbers, even at much lower bodyweights. I had a 15 years old high school football player power clean as much as he did from chrissake! And while his bench press IS impressive, his squat really isn’t.

Charles P has had good results overall. Let’s concentrate on his ideas.

Don’t get me wrong. I respect the guy and it’s probably because of him that most of us in the strength field have jobs. But he does seem overrated at times.

carson, how the hell did u notice that?!

:clap: bravo

i think like anyone CP is human, nobody’s perfect. but he’s still one of the best out there.

t-bone,
It just seemed that his foot/ankle position was weird, and the whole body position seemed strange.

As far as Charles goes, he is very very driven. That is one of many reasons why he is where he is. I respect his work ethic, and he has got overall good results, as Charlie mentioned.

As far as Charles goes, he is very very driven. That is one of many reasons why he is where he is. I respect his work ethic, and he has got overall good results, as Charlie mentioned

i would agree with that 100%. i remember back when i read the poliquin principles for the first time, i thought it was great, and as i re-read it, it still is. you cant really fault a guy for self promotion and being sucessful.

Originally posted by Carson
t-bone,
It just seemed that his foot/ankle position was weird, and the whole body position seemed strange.

I noticed that as well - I just thought the carpet/floor must have a built in raised area.

Wide receiver David Boston agreed to terms on a contract with the San Diego Chargers on Wednesday.

Boston

The number of years have not been disclosed but the money is in the neighborhood of $6 million a year along with a $6 million signing bonus.

Boston, whom the Cardinals elected not to franchise, had more than $7 million a year on the table from the Cardinals, who didn’t want to guarantee much money with signing bonuses. Boston is considered perhaps the best player available in free agency.

Boston recently weighed 243 pounds and is able to run in the 4.3s. He suffered knee and foot problems last season. He’s squatting 400 pounds three months after having a patella tendon surgery.

Playing only half a season, Boston still finished with 32 receptions for 512 yards and a touchdown. In 2001, Boston had the best season of his career, catching 98 balls for 1,598 yards and eight touchdowns.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

just thought i would update this thread. nice to see this guy finally get out of arizona…breese to boston, we will be hearing that a time or two.