Article on David Boston/Poliquin

ill save you the link…and you are right, he is big!

Could it be that they air brushed out the board under the feet as BFS does not recommend that? Or that BFS does not sell a board? haha.

Originally posted by nightmare4d
ill save you the link…and you are right, he is big!

packing some guns!

pity about his legs though…:stuck_out_tongue:
You would think it would make more sense the other way around…

Joint injuries should not be accounted as the strength coach’s fault, unless plyometrics have been misused.

Muscular injuries, instead, are often direct results of program design, judge coaches on that (along with when their athletes peak, if they need to).

Best,
Carlo Buzzichelli

Just because Boston is big and strong doesn’t necessarily make him a better football player. And that fact also doesn’t explain his injuries. Carlos hit the nail on the head about program design. I heard Ian King say that most programs he has seen are more detrimental than beneficial. poliquin is good at certain things. I believe he knows how to make people big and strong with the best of them. His track record is spotty as to whether his athletes are more injury prone than others. Developing performance at the risk of injury is not worth it. Your key players can’t win games on the IR. Injury prevention should be an athletic prep coaches number one priority.

According to an ESPN the Magazine article I read, Boston weighed in at 257 pounds at the start of Charger training camp. Absolutely unbelievable.

Thus far this year he has been hampered by injuries, was suspended for a game, but pulled off his best career day yesterday. (14 catches for about 180.) So it’s been up and down thus far.

He seems way too big to me. Maybe his optimum weight is 230-235, which is about where he was when he had his 1,600 yard year in 2001.

To me it just looks like hes done a squat and finished it with a calf raise. If you look at the pic where he is in transition from eccentric to concentric his heels are on the ground.

Carlo, you say joint injuries aren’t the fault of the coach but muscular injuries are. What about tendon injuries, when seen in clusters? Is this just chance? This is a general question- not related to CP.

It’s an interesting question. Boston tore his patella tendon last year. (Must have been painful.)

I am very curious to find out if he can survive and thrive in the NFL at that weight. The Cardinals have obviously bet “No”, and let him go. The Chargers bet “Yes.”

Are tendon injuries a part of poor training preparation?

Poliquin used lots of platform deadlifts with Boston, I have read. For me, I have never found my hamstrings to be sore the day after Platform deads. Good mornings, yes. Do PD’s strengthen the hams or quads primarily? Or both?

If you see the same sort of injuries over and over with the same coach, you have to wonder.

Re-posting an article without permission from the author is a big no-no. Especially if the author is kim goss, whom I believe is the author of this article. Be CAREFUL.

I removed the article but left the link in case anyone wants to read it.

Honestly, is it just me, or does nearly every athlete (male, never heard about female trainees of his) that Poliquin trains comes out huge?

he worked with female powerlifter cathy millen. she squated & deadlifted 260kg, and benched 162kg!

Surely that’s a bloke with earrings!

Poliquin often advises slow eccentric phases and less than explosive concentric phases so there’s probably a lot of time under tension with most of the sets he advocates. Lots of hypertrophy going on. Probably knows a lot about nutrition etc… ofcourse.

Poliquin understands that most athletes (especially male athletes) will judge the efficacy of a training program based un visual changes in appearance, even if the athlete is training for strength, power or speed. So he uses training techniques that will increase muscle mass.

I don’t think we really needed to know what David Boston wears under his uniform.