Are goals necessary?

Are season goals necessary for an athlete during the season? Does it have any affect on motivation are anything like that? If so, how can you determine these goals?

You should always have goals, or else what are you running and training for?

I agree - just keep the targets realistic and attainable when you start out - not just for times but look for improvement in strength , form , relaxation - and pleasure and relaxation - if ur enjoying it and relaxed your gonna get more out of it and you should go faster .

Have several small goals, so that that one big goal don’t drive you nuts.

I agree with both gloop and 400stud. Goals are necessary, but be realistic, you don’t want to end the season depressed despite making huge progress in a bunch of things just because you didn’t reach x and x goal. Of course, if you’re a masochist, then you don’t need goals, you train for the pure pleasure of doing 500’s and 300’s :confused: . As Gloop said, also don’t look completely at times, if there are improvements in other areas I wouldn’t worry about times not being reached, they will eventually come with the improvements in diverse areas.

aight cool cool I’m just wondering because i have no idea what to set my goals at this year, i have like done a total 180 this year from last.

Where are you at, times and conditioning wise, at this stage of the year compared to this time last year? Why is that and can a lot be done to improve from this point.

November 2003. I’m in very slightly better shape than last November
with more deffinate and clear oppurtunities to improve my conditioning
levals. I’m looking at straight pb’s for Squat, v.jump measurements, 60
and 100m times in January 2004.

time wise I’m not really sure I’l be able to find out in this next week. Conditioning wise this is the first year where i have actually trained before the season has started, and i started lifting this year finally responded well went from 125-ish to 142 lb.

Well since most including me think that goals are important if I run
10.86 21.73 48.67 are 10.5x 21.4x and 46.xx attainable goals?

Wayne.

It really depends on experience and training. If you did those time off little training they probably are, if you have been training for 4 years they may not be.

I think the 200 maybe right.

Well I’ve been training since I was 7 and Im 15 now so…

Wayne, you should be able to make big improvements as you are
getting bigger and stronger as a teenager anyway.

I think it is possible.

But you need to train smart.

The one problem I see with goal setting is that some athletes want to meet them at all costs, but occassionally it is wise to do it another day.

Is it alright to not have a goal until after I run one meet?

There is so much theory behind goal setting.

Goal setting is a good thing when you do it correctly becuase it helps keep you focused on the task at hand and allows you to take yourself one step at a time towards your ultimate goal.

A practical example of this is say I want to run 10.5 for the 100m.

Now despite me wanting to do this and setting a time frame how do I get from a to b?

Well after setting a program that outlines the timeframe you can go about setting targets based on what you need to achieve to get to 10.5.

Just say you need to run 3.5 first movement for 30m, have a flying 20m of 1.9 with 30m run in and run a 150 in 16.0 to run 10.5.

Obviously you need little goals based on your program to reach each of those points right down to the point where each session/rep will have a little goal set for it (like stepping over the knee) to get you to where you want to go.

While I have outlined times, there is a distinction between process and outcome goals. usually when you perform the process right (perform your cues in a race or training rep correctly) the outcome (a quick time) will be the result. Therefore you should more often then not set process related goals based on what you need to do to run fast.

It can be overdone with this model for sure, but setting a goal to achieve each session is a good thing if your athlete is capable of achieveing it for the day. A good one might be to have the athlete be able to come out from blocks and progress to standing up gradually. You think your athlete pops his head up so you tell him the goal for today is to complete 6x30m with the head down (which allows a gradual transition for your athlete) out of blocks. he does this and his starts are quicker (or consistant and you are confident it prepares him for a better top speed).

In any event goal setting is helpful when the goals are capable of being reached, process orientated, there are short term goals that lead to a long term goal and your athlete is achieving them. It can be a great motivator when your athlete hits his goals for the day/micro/macro cycle and even better when those small steps lead to his ultimate goal.

There is lots of theory behind goal setting, and many text books with good sections on the subject. My very brief and rusty summary is only a scratch.

as a side note to if you are setting realistic goals that are achievable but challenging your athlete will remain much more confident and positive which is a good thing for performance. They will be more switched on and raring to go.

My goal is to be able to hang out with the Cheetah’s in the Serangeti in
Africa and chase some gazelle’s with them. :cool:
That’s nice, but the thing that makes me confidant in my athletics are the slight transformations in my physique and heavier weights, and a greater feeling when I sprint lately I am improving. :slight_smile:

Nice one

I find goal setting helps keep me training.

As Aussie said it is not always about performance. Follow the recipe and the results occur.

I think enjoying your training, not putting too much pressure on yourself and having fun racing are very important. Staying injury free is a big deal as well :slight_smile:

Yes Goose you make a good point, usually when you are reaching the short term process goals you set the outcome is improved performance, strength and if you set dietary goals better looks :slight_smile:

I set myself 2 weeks to get on a good diet with a goal of reacing 9% in two weeks from 13% without a loss in muscle mass. After reading all I could I structured the diet and had a goal each day just to eat what I said. Anyway after two weeks the capilers showed 9.8% and I was so happy as there were these six things starting to really show on my gut :smiley:

Anyway depending on your goals you can achieve anything if you structure them correctly, be realistic and dont be afraid to set something that you think could be just out of your reach. I had no idea if I could hit 9% in two weeks, but I stuck to my guns and ate right and it came off.