Ankle Weights improving High Knee in sprints

Could be ankle weights ( shin weights of 1kg/2.2lb ) a good idea to train forces to a good High Knee needs during a sprint ?
Some short sprints ( 20 or 30m at 80% ) performed carring this extra-weights focused on high knee, ( rising the stride lenght ).
Wouldn´t be so “dangerous” for joints right ?
Otherwise, this little extra weights could be an “hip strengthen” don´t ya ?
Charlie ?

I have heard those are bad for stretching knee ligaments and increasing risk of injury.

Maybe some of the other members could give their experiences with them.

Cheers,
Chris

Flying,i would strongly recommend using ankle weights during sprinting.knee lift is the result of applying the correct forces to the ground and the end result is knee-lift.the use of a weight jacket would be better but if your knee height isn’t great then i would look from a biomechanical view and find out why.again do not use annkle/shin weight as you will create problems for yourself both injury and mechanically wise!!

Ankle weights make an adequate apparatus for hamstring curls and knee extensor work during lower leg injury recovery. Otherwise…

I believe that Sharmer has considerable experience training with ankle weights. You may like to check with him … :smiley:

I’m sure X-Man meant to say strongly recommend AGAINST using ankle weights (read the end comments). I agree with him.

sorry guys,i am totally against the use of ankle/shin weights during the movements.this darn new laptop!!

it gave me a sore knee from only 3weeks of work. so maybe u should stay away from it

:frowning:
All right, got it !!
Tks

On the same sorta note,

Would exercises of the same nature be wrong to help knee lift?

ie. Pulley Knee drives (on cable machine) -

• where the cable is strapped to the lower leg/ankle and the knee driven up in a sprint like action…

i have found this exercise has helped me gain better knee lift and have not yet came across any problems.

Does anyone have any experience with this exercise and can share any good or bad results?

Tomo1

I would avoid exercises of this nature because, if the quad is flexible and technique is good, there is very little power required to lift the knee the few degrees that remain after “stepping over” the support knee. The exercise itself may tighten the quads and change the mechanics to increase the amount of work required to accomplish what should have been easy and increase the likelyhood of injury.

Tomo that particular exercise is pretty good on the pully m/c.i have used it in the past with good success.as far as knee lift is concerned i never had that problem and i was doing those exers for a different reason.why do you say your knee-lift as bad? have you seen a video of yourself running? just a note on knee-lift and deceptions.maurice greene runs with what looks like ok knee-lift but the leg speed is so fast to the naked eyeand so bulky that knee-lift dosen’t look great BUT do a slow mo of him and you’ll see everythings in place!

Tomo that particular exercise is pretty good on the pully m/c.i have used it in the past with good success.as far as knee lift is concerned i never had that problem and i was doing those exers for a different reason.why do you say your knee-lift as bad? have you seen a video of yourself running? just a note on knee-lift and deceptions.maurice greene runs with what looks like ok knee-lift but the leg speed is so fast to the naked eyeand so bulky that knee-lift dosen’t look great BUT do a slow mo of him and you’ll see everythings in place!

Xman

lol…Hopefully one day …i’ll have the same problem as mo :wink:
Did actually do some filming with my coach.
On analysis of the footage, there was very little knee lift. This was resulting in my stride being shorter than an adverage sprinter of my size, so we have been working on knee lift though ie. drills / bounds , knee drives(as above) etc

…it was not untill including Pulley KD’s into my programme that my knee lift improved. Other than drills etc …is there other good methods to help good knee lift?

Tomo1

would there be any flexibilty issues here Tomo? you can involve knee lifts as part of your warm-up but i would try and focus on knee-lift throughtout your actual runs.get your coach to watch you during every run and shout if needs be. please do not try to lift your knees as this can result in flicking which is a no no.just work on a few drills and keep smooth.post your vid clip.you can also try to decrease the effort in your runs for a while to focus on staying tall and in synch better. there are many different ways to approach this but be careful when trying to force something as it will not happen