all you 100/200 guys....what's your maximum squat?

Firing patterns. I need to be sure everything is firing properly. Deep squats help this a lot. Our aim isn’t to get the heaviest weight as possible up in the air, its to get the heaviest weight up whilst using all of the muscles that we want to be working in the correct order. Some people get big numbers up but its not very pretty and when it doesn’t look pretty it generally means you’ll be spasming up muscles that you don’t want to be spasming up.

I also very much favour a unilateral body weight phase of 2-3 weeks at start of GPP.

I tried parallels for a while and went back to deep squats again. They are just so comfortable for me. Must be ingrained from the OLY training I have done in the past. 295 for double last night ass to ankles. Pretty explosive too considering it was my 4th set. (BW 197) I think I could have gotten 315 for easy single buried

Are there other supplemental exercises I can perfom to hit the anterior chain a little more? ie: leg extensions, hipmachine, or front squats?

Cheers,
Chris

front squats I guess

I like bulgarian splitsquats to work on unilateral leg strength balance and hammer the VMO (knees going forward), plus it loads up the hip flexor in the stretched position :slight_smile:

I always do them after the main 2 legged low rep strength move, with higher reps

If your using proper form than it will not hurt you to do squats with both legs at any weight as long as your strong enough to squat your own bodyweight and the 45lb bar. After that you can add more weight as you get stronger; however, the method you have indicated is a better one than squating with both legs, especially if you are rehabing.

-I agree with you fully on this point. Plus you’ll lift more weight this way because if you went down really fast and then your body has to use more energy to halt the downward momentum. In strength training, the more eccentrically loaded a muscle is the stronger it can become. That’s why a lot of powerlifters do negatives.

What? You get rid of the SSC is you go down slow…and less weight can be used.

The faster the eccentric, the faster the concentric, right? At least that’s what I thought.

• Well I was referring to doing a 1RM Squat. If you try and go as slow as possible then yes you lose much of the SSC; however you do not want to go down to fast because your body as to stop the downward momentum with much more energy. Finally, if your doing squats really fast, than your not working near your 1RM, its physiologically impossible.

-I made a mistake. Doing plyo’s will cause you to go down faster than a regular 1RM squat. The rest of my statement is correct.

Bodyweight 79kg or maybe 78kg at the time of this video:

150kg for a double: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ph.chea/Koing%20150kg%20x%202reps.wmv

All the way to the bottom. None of this nearly to the bottom business allows me to do this: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ph.chea/135cm_jump.mov

I go lower then most.

Will max out when I have my competition but I know when I squat very heavy and max out my O-Lifts I get wrecked for about a week. I can’t lift well or squat well.

Koing

Do you actually read what you write before you post it, or do you just enjoy looking dumb?

You don’t want to go too fast because the body has to stop the momentum? What exactly do you think eccentric strength and the SSC involve?

There’s also a very simple way of making yourself go down faster with plyometrics-- we call it “adding resistance.” This can involve such novel concepts as holding a dumbell or using bands to create a stronger downward force.

You seriously need to read up on basic biomechanics before you spout off anything else.

I would like to know a Professional Opinion ( from Orthopedic ) about this,
because every time i see a scientific article about “Squats” they ( Drs ) emphasize that we mustn´t do full squat because of the risks of a knee injurie or anything worst.
Ok, sprints aren´t so “healthy” for body but…i guess most of sprinters don´t want risks.

I think that David W posted something about full squats helping the knees. I don’t know where it is though.

As to none proff experiences, out of all of the oly lifters (not too large of a number i will admit) i am aquainted with none have knee problems. Compared to the majority of bbers and PLers (mostly BB’ers) i know who have knee problems, who never go full ROM. This could be a chicken/egg thing, though, now that i think about it. (The people who have knees built for it, do full ROM etc)

Personally, i like full squats (i am a sprinter/martial artist) because they keep me honest with squat depth.

Your squat style is kind strange…have you ever tryied squat in a “machine” ?

Koing, that squat looks downright dangerous.
Maybe it’s the camera angle but the bar looks really high on the shoulders. The bend forward (when your hips push back part way up) could cause you to dump the bar forward. Believe me, it’s possible to break your neck this way (literally). Maybe you would gain more from dropping down the weight & getting on a machine as suggested above. This could get your form stricter & take away the threat of distaterous injury while the body adapts to a different groove in the lift?
Just a suggestion.

Huh? Are you guys watching the same video that I am? Sure, not perfect but squatting in a “machine”? Give me a break!

I only meant to use it to “retrain” (for lack of better vocabulary here) himself out of that swing back with the hips that is going on. It could make it an easier transition to better form &, later, higher totals.
It is always easy for the body to fall into bad form (running, lifting, etc) & sometimes regrouping, going back to basics & backing off on the total weight can break a bad cycle.
If you don’t like the idea of a machine, get extremely strict w/light weights then. A short time of doing this can do wonders in the long run.
Unless it’s just todays gym totals that matter, then have 'atter.
We were only trying to give some options here.

The motive for i suggest Squatting in a Machine is to allow Koing correct the movements of the body ( not the bar ).
If you take another look, the bar rise in a vertical line, that´s ok, but the body movements are all off-line, it seems a Bounce Dance.
I say, go to a machine, make 4 or 5 day sessions of squats ( unfortunately less weight ) and then back to the free weights.

Koing, that squat looks downright dangerous.
Maybe it’s the camera angle but the bar looks really high on the shoulders. The bend forward (when your hips push back part way up) could cause you to dump the bar forward. Believe me, it’s possible to break your neck this way (literally). Maybe you would gain more from dropping down the weight & getting on a machine as suggested above. This could get your form stricter & take away the threat of distaterous injury while the body adapts to a different groove in the lift?
Just a suggestion.

I’m a competitive OL.

Working a max will have some form deterioration, espeically when doing 2RM. One would have been easier.

Yeah I do a funny thing that my go back a bit before I go back. But do you guys see the hip drive in under the bar? Well that shortens the lever and makes the squat much easier. Most coach’s do not know this and you should naturally do ths in the Clean anyway.

I don’t need a machine.

When I am not going at new PB’s it is different. The weights are lighter.

Yes the weight is high on my traps, that is because it is an OL back squat and not a PL squat where it is further down. It will not break my neck. It is on my traps and I can assure you it is not on my neck. It would crush me if it was on my neck. The angle may have made it seem like so and the quality of the video was reduced for the net.

Nice shoes Flying.

djp I compete in OL my body and legs are strong enough to take the weight and the depth is low. No one squats lower then me. Important for an OL.

Koing

Koing, first, maybe I read your last post wrong, but didn’t you ask for input? I make it a rule not to give unsolicited input to people as it is not welcome.
I understand the difference between an OL & a PL but the body is still the body & efficiencey does not change. The strength “groove” in a lift does not vary that much.
As for my comment on the bar… you CAN break your neck, I have seen it happen (actually a crushed cervical spinus & a fractured vertabrae, to be specific) if the body pitches forward & the heavy bar dumps over the neck & head. That was my concern as seeing it once was enough.
I also understand heavy lifts can cause form breaks but I have always thought that is when form is even more important. I feel the body needs to keep the proper form to utilize it’s strength & maybe your strength (& it is impressive, I mean that) would be best utilized with different form.Just my opinion.
My 3RM to paralell was 495 at a BW of 165lbs. (“unaided” & drug tested I should add, as I have always been) I will conceed this was with knee wraps & a powerlifting belt but I was not interested in peeling my knee caps off the wall in front of me. I was even more strict with that weight as injury is more of a threat.
But whatta I know, I’m just a girl.

Can it be confirmed that full squats give less fatigue to either the central or peripheral nervous system?

Is it being suggested that a cycle of full squats can be more durable than a cycle of parallel squats?

The few times I did full squats, I progressed nicely, but I’m wondering if it was just becuase it was a break (exercise rotation) from my normal depth of squat, rather than faster recovery.