ab work......

Tried to post this on strength training weightlifting section but I guess as im new im not allowed yet.

How does everyone stand on ‘core’ work? (god I love that word) I did have charlie e-book but I lose it on computer a while back, however I do remember the 3500 reps a week volume (or there abouts) what movements were these? I remember charlie mentioning ben had a ‘classic sprinters lordosis’ whats peoples opinion on no direct work but lots of overhead squats/front squats/deadlifts/gm’s etc. (ala bulgarian weightlifters/minimised exercise choice)? I know this depends on a certain body structure just trying to get some clarity on what sorta ab work to include. After pulling my right hip flexor (& it still being excessively tight) im leaving all hip flexor work well alone but am reluctant to do weighted ‘crunches’ (feet not locked down) as i’ve read at can contribute to curvature of the middle back (helping the kyphosis lordosis).

Plus I feel like a girl doing these with weight after all my zercher & straight leg sit ups…

any input is appreicated

Charlie’s ab work is shown on the GPP DVD and Jane Project DVD. It is low intensity and is not modern core stability type work. High intensity ab work is done via the other lifts as you describe.

Personally I use both new and old. I like side bridges and static holds but I also use more traditional crunches and hip flexion exercises. Although I think McGill is a little too conservative in his recommendations I use lower volumes of exercises that cause rounding of the lumbar spine as a result of his recommendations.

As CF recommends I try to use exercises that cross the centre line of the body (Sagital plane). I have also used the MedX rotary torso (which is brutally hard work), though you need to know how to set it up and the contraindications of its use.

I’v been v. critical of ‘core’ work in the past and haven’t really done any specific work as a result.

HOWEVER…

My strength coach recently introduced to me something entirely new. Basically a rope, or elastic device is attached to both ends of a barbell. Two rubberised plates are loaded onto the bar, and the bar is positioned on the ground. The athlete then grips the bar, in a pushup position, whilsts on the very tips of his shoes.

Whilst the athlete attempts to stabilise the bar, the coach pulls on the end of the rope attached to one end of the barbell. Then the other side is pulled on. The coach instructs the athlete to pull the bar into toward his feet, while he forms an inverted “V” with his legs and torso. The coach then pulls the bar backward, and instructs the athlete to contol the rate at which it is released. Timed intervals are performed ( eg. 3 x 50 seconds)

It is by far the most challenging gym exercise I have ever performed. Gives an entirely different fatigue to any core exercise I have done in the past. Try it, you 'll see what i mean.

This seems like an interesting and innovative way to challenge a classic move called the “barbell rollout”.

Must give it a try! :slight_smile:

thanks guys

I do alot of fast rep ab exercises that utilize the hip flexors. 30 secs on 30 secs off.

It’s interesting that you brought up “Lordosis”. I have a large degree of this and I wonder what it’s from? I think it may be from heavy squats and deadlifts so that your body adapts and you are more efficient at lifting loads with better angles.

I definitely like looking at chicks with lordosis… It makes their ass look that much nicer.

First find out is it structural (affected art surfaces and ligaments, joint caps etc) or is it structural (affected muscles due imbalance in pasive stiffnes or tone - tonic myotatic reflex)…
To find this out lay on the floor with your legs flexed at about 90deg in knees, if your low back is flat on the floor it functional lordosis and if it is not it is structural (result depend on sizes of your gluteus muscles - the X-ray will tell better)
If it is functional it can be moe easily corrected…
Lordotic curve (static)is a function of passive stiffnes of abs, erector spinae, quadriceps (+iliacus +psoas) and hamstrings, so any imbalances between them can lead to more pronounced lordotic curve… (Stuart McGill have some work on this issue, contact him)! Another factor is neuro-muscular control of those muscles and reflexes (myotatic tonic)…

This is how Charlie structures a lot of his ab training. I speak from first hand experience.

I think posture issues like this also come from flexibility issues as well.

The test results are in and I have…

FUNCTIONAL Lordosis based on your exercise. It’s really not that bad at all. There is just a slight curve.

Glad to hear it… if you dont have any problems with low-back dont matter… DONT FIX IT IF AINT BROKEN
P.S.
I also have small lordosis and small scoliosis (normal physioology deviation wich bothers me only in psychology way), had some Low-back problems but when I read LOW-BACK DISORDERS from McGill, and Supertraining, started doing lifting (in proprer manner) and avoiding to much low-back bending (clasical ab work) my back is just fine, and you can wash your clothes on my abs heheh

Personally I use both new and old

what is the “new” core work? like unstable surfaces, isometric contractions etc?