A MUST Gym Equipment?

What the hell is an impulse inertia machine?

… the shit, no its a piece of equipment that allows for resistance that is not effected by gravity. so instead of creating force against a wieghted load you create force against said loads inertia. and the lighter the weight the more intense the training effect. siff, zat. and verk talked about the concept a bit but at the time they were playing with the idea of an inertial flywheel, someone came along and created this machine which causes no maladaptive stress only an adaptive response. simply your training speed at the heart of what speed is. the effect on the neurology is instant and profound. check it out http://www.impulsepower.com/

If it’s great then why does no one have one? Hell it’s only 3k…about the price of Duxx’s squat rack.

same reasone why people think a bow flex is the best way to train, same reason people train like shit and dont kno why they dont get results, same reason people think all they have to do to get fast is squat more weight… blah blah blah. start thinking about the effect something has rather than what other people are doing. thing is when all you do is go by what other ppl are doing your always gunna be one step ahead.

It is mine 1000th post… Yeah baby! :slight_smile:

Regarding the impulse machine…
While I was studying biomechanics, I noticed that allmost all everyday movements are done aginst both inertia (mass-linear, moment of inertia-rotational) and force (force, torque) simmultaneously. The only exception is to move a load (mass) on horizontal plane with no friction. This s very rarelly done…
Then my crazy brain tryed to figure a machine that provides a resistance by only (a) mass-moment of inertia, (b)force-torque.

The machine that provides a (variable) resistance against only force are the viscosic machines and motor generators with varied electrical resistance (if we necglect the inertia of the rotor). You can put here a elastic bands too… but the resistance is variable, and I wanted a constant… still searching :slight_smile:

The machine that provides only resistance by mass (no force due gravity etc), should have a moving object on horizontal plane and not vertical. The simmilar stuff you may experience when you try to drag a floating boat (did it number of times). If we neglect the fluid resistance (depends on the speed you reach), you can allway more a ship, but you need time and space to do it… This is inertial load.
The other exmpale is that you have mentioend alredy James — flywheel.
The next example is to drag a loaded skateboard to avoid friction forces. The only forces you experience are the reaction forces. This is inertial loading. Pushing a car on even ground is allso a good example.

I don’t know how that machine functionate, but I believe if the weight slides on horizontal plane, you must have someone to return to a starting position and stop it, because the system is not conservative, as done on vertical/gravital plane.

Anyway, I don’t see any great deal in it… you never experience a simmilar load in real life. You allways experience both mass and force (due gravity).
I would rather spend 3k$ on the power rack above hehehe.

Anyway, what the hell does means “Just my 2 cents”??? :slight_smile:

movment is continuous via a network of pulleys. advanced atheltes will do up to five rep per second. the lighter the load the more coordination needed to complete the movement. also the machine trains the ability of a target muscle to turn off rapidly something that is almost always overlooked in the training process.

also some movement process are greatly against inertia, for example throwing a ball and many portions of a sprint. so it is fairly odd that we dont train to reflect that.

Yes, throwing a ball is inertial load, but only in horizontal plane… and the movement is allways done on all three planes, thus there is allway a gravity force involved. Anyway, even if the movement is in the horizontal plane only, the shoulder still experience torque due gravity of the ball…

I am interested what you have to say, but to understand you better, I must have more information on that machine… do you have any other site with more info?
Thanks in advance!

that site has an ass load of information im pretty sure if u search around the site u will find all the answers your lokoing for. also i kno that all movement has a gravitational factor, my point was that people dont train the inertial factor. simply its an untaped training means.

i should also mention the resultant training effect is an almost instantaneuous improvement in starting strength. it teaches they system to coordinate motor units to fire in syncronocity. because the effect is nearly completly neurological there are results even later in the same day.

"Examine this high performance strike, from a karate champion, before training with Inertial Exercise. Its 163 lbs in 43 milliseconds.

Later in the day after Inertial Exercise Training the strike is 200 lbs in 24 milliseconds. A 19% increase in power!"

for those of you who dont kno that is HUGE.

“The instrument operates in the following way: When pulling on an extremely low stretch line, a travel platform accelerates down guide rails. At the center of the device the accelerated mass of the platform (plus any weight on the platform) possesses inertia and will continue to travel down the guide rails. Pulleys at the center of the device cause the pull line to reverse its line of travel. The pull line then exerts a force, the sum of the inertia of the platform, on the operator. The operator must then decelerate the mass. When this deceleration phase is completed the travel platform is, by the series elastic nature of muscle in tension, transitioned into another acceleration cycle. The inertial force produced is directly proportional to the acceleration imposed on the travel platform. Therefore all the forces produced are exclusively energy generated by the user.”

James, what specific exercises would you use with it to help your sprinting?

probably a simple hip extension movement. they have a list of excercises on the site http://www.impulsepower.com/IETsetupExerciseManual.htm
excercises can be devised how ever you like to suit the movement needs of your given event.

Thanks for the info James, very interesting stuff.

James,
Thanks for the site… I found a page dealing with it’s work. I hate to read a comp, so I created PDF and I will soon go to print is somewhere and read it…
Interesting!

I would love to have an isolated building for a home gym in the middle of the woods with a view over the mountain (which may be put on my farm :slight_smile: ). Setup with Power rack, various bars, bench, box, Olympic platform, TV (powerlifting videos, no cable).