400m training

Can someone please give me a weekly/monthly basic setup of a 400m program. Base-transition-In season?

I just want to know the key sessions I should do and how much speed etc…

I am 30. Have a pb of 51 flat. Want to run sub 50.

I can provide more info if you need.

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?6758-Lactate-Threshold-Training
Enjoy! :slight_smile:

I have gone trought that tread. But its too much info. And I think kitkats program would be a bit too hard to do for a non elite runner.
I have seen his setup, but I think i would get injured orovertrained by following it. Therefore it would be nice with a setup that is more suited for the sub elite.

The adjustment to one’s needs etc is a given. And again, KK’s plan is an example. CF’s plans involve both short-to-long and long-to-short. Depending on what suits you!

Thanks.
where can i find CF 400mplan?

Since you seem to have alot of knowlege.Can you give me suggestion for a 400m training program?
I am coming down from training for the 800m. I want to run a fast 400m.
pb: 100:12.2
200:24.2
400:51.1
800m: 1.59

There is lots of information in the archives on 400m training programs. The Lactate Threshold thread is one of the greatest things ever written on 400m training- if you purchase the Lactate Threshold Ebook, it is nicely edited into an easy to read .pdf ebook file that makes it a pleasure to read.

I did a 3 day a week version of KitKat’s program two seasons ago and broke my indoor PB by half a second. I am a masters guy- by no means elite! ESTI guided me by cutting out some of the workouts out but kept to the spirit of the program. You can find my journal from that indoor season in the “My Training Journal” section of the site.

With 12.2 and 51.1 PBs, I think you should work at developing your top speed.

with a 51.1 - your 800m time is pretty sad. It really should be closer to low 1.50-1.52

Based on your 24.2 - your 400m of 51.1 is about as good as it’s going to get.

Your 24,2 based on your 100m of 12.2 is about as fast as it’s going to get.

To get a faster 400m - you’ll need to work on your basic speed.
To get a faster 800m - you’ll need to work on your basic endurance

400m goal ATM - get them 100 and 200m times Down - I would probably devote an entire season to getting them both down, your 200m by at least 1sec. Once you’re faster, then work on the 400 and with a 23sec 200m, you have a solid chance of breaking 50sec.

Agree with everyone else.

The basic program I use, is my version of KK’s, it needs modification sometimes but depends on the athlete. The important sessions are after rest days.

Day 1 - Speed
Day 2 - Endurance (generally extensive tempo)
Day 3 - Off
Day 4 - Specific Speed
Day 5 - easy Endurance (easier than the Day 2)
Day 6 - Hills (work up to Overtime)
Day 7 - Off

For instance in winter I will use Day 1 for speed and specific speed, as it is difficult for my athletes and myself to get together 3 times a week (most are Uni students)

Thanks.

But what u mean with speed and specific speed? what is the difference?
Can you give examples of sessions in the program setup u wrote?
why day 1 and 2 day back to back?
Wont 1 day easy in beetween day 1 and 2make the quality of day 2much better?
Will 2 speed days be suffiecient for lowering my 100m and 200m pbs?

Thanks.
Most of my athletic life I have trained for the 800m, but I think that my talent might be at the 400m. I have tried increasing my endurance, but never get any really good results. One period 3 months I was training specifically for 400ms. And I dropped my 400pb from 53.0 to 51.1. So therefore I want to try the 400m. I also like running the 400m better than running the 800m :wink:

I have not that great talent for speed. as u can see from my 100m/200m pbs. My strength has always been speed endurance.
What type of approach would fit me most? concurrent? (kitkats) or short to long? or long to short?

Speed is max speed or acceleration so a sample session maybe 4 x 30m and 3 x 15acc-10mfast-15m relaxed…

Specific endurance might be 200’s at come home 400 pace

The tempo sessions are nervous system easier, hence why the intense days are always on a day off (or really easy session)

Speed is max speed or acceleration so a sample session maybe 4 x 30m and 3 x 15acc-10mfast-15m relaxed…

Specific endurance might be 200’s at come home 400 pace

The tempo sessions are nervous system easier, hence why the intense days are always on a day off (or really easy session)

Work out what you won’t from training and how you plan the training week. Then get to work.

Everything depends where you are, climate you are training is important, when is cold do you have an access to the indoor facilities etc…
You can approach from ether end of the 400m spectrum S to L or L to S or even both

Totally agree.
Use the programs which work (KKs) or http://www.edb.utexas.edu/ssn/CCA%20PDF/Run-200-400%20Sprint.PDF if you think that is too demanding then change the volume.
I think Loren Seagrave one said that you have to follow successful program (idea), observe, learn from what you see and hear from your athletes and then adjust to their needs by using the knowledge you have obtain in this whole learning (coaching/training) process.
Everything you hear or read you can treat as a hypothesis apply to your training program if works GREAT if doesn’t then throw it away

Read the Post suggested by Nikoluski it’s a lot of good stuff there.

When u say specific endurance do you actually talk about the session you have called specific speed in your training program?

Agree with everyone else.

The basic program I use, is my version of KK’s, it needs modification sometimes but depends on the athlete. The important sessions are after rest days.

Day 1 - Speed
Day 2 - Endurance (generally extensive tempo)
Day 3 - Off
Day 4 - Specific Speed
Day 5 - easy Endurance (easier than the Day 2)
Day 6 - Hills (work up to Overtime)
Day 7 - Off

For instance in winter I will use Day 1 for speed and specific speed, as it is difficult for my athletes and myself to get together 3 times a week (most are Uni students)

Will 5 training days per week be suffient for reaching my goal of a 50 flat 400m?

On day 6. What can I substitute the long hills with? I am training in cold climate and from nov-april. Hills are covered in snow.

I like long sled work instead of hills ex: 3x3x100.

Volle,
The memebers here have given you some excellent advice. now I think you need to hunker down and read a little bit to understand some of the ideas behind the training and as one Boldwarrior has suggested get to work.
I know recipes are wonderful but recipes for training will only take you so far. The people who have been responding to you have been the most loyal to the ideas here for a very long time and are not here to sell or push anything beyond the things they believe that have worked for them.
I understand you want to be faster but it’s gonig to take a greater understanding in what you have been doing vs what might need to change.

The problem with long sled work is people tend to pull too much weight ( how do you guess the right weight? ) and pull too long of distance to maintain technical soundness.
How do you control that R34?