300m

whats the general idea at tackling this distance?

at the moment i am hitting it just below all out say low 90% and still getting tired bout 50m out… yet if i go balls out i tire bout 100 out yet im sure im faster overall.

There are a few ways to attach and approach 300’s…Anyone who knows me knows I had a dislike to this distance! But after alot of mental visualisation and building confidence I was able to deal with them.

We do 2 straights and a curve.

I go out hard to 60m and hold that speed into the curve. As I approach the top of the bend I pick it up again to accel me out of the curve. I hold again then kick the last 50m home. This method has worked for me and has enabled me to run consistent 35-36’s. Charlie it would be interesting to hear your approach to 300’s. How important are 300’s in the GPP phase? Is it necessary to go up as high as 500’s? I’m asking because I PR’d in the 200m on the weekend. I’ve done NO overdistance or 300m work since May (mainly due to me being injured). I’ve just been doing short recovery 80m diffs5 (3-5 min rec) and 8blocks over 40m (7-10 min rec). I’ve been back in training for 3 weeks now as I missed out so much of the season with injury. My point being that when i was fit and doing 300’s I could break 22.8! Crazy I know for some one that runs 35 mid-36 low for reps.I think i was lacking speed…Now i’m doing just speed based work (to quicken my 100’s) my 200m pb was ran on saturday.

Jason UK

YOU ABILITY TO RUN A GOOD 200M IS NOT DOWN JUST TO RUNNING OVER DISTANCE STUFF, BUT HOW QUICK YOU ARE. IF THE BODY CAN ONLY ACCELERATE FOR 40M THEN YOU HAVE TO APPLY THAT IN A 200M PREFERABLY AT THE START AND MAINTAIN. YOUR ABILTY TO MAINTAIN IS THEN DOWN TO YOUR ABILITY TO CARRY SPEED.

here’s a question on Special endurance generally. I have always loved to do special endurance and I still do it. I FEEL its very very good for my endurance. But then a lot of guys come up to me and ask me why do you do Special endurance?? I stare and say " its good! " Then I can’t specifically say exactly what it does to you! I mean its not speed since working speed sessions on their own is better for speed. Speed endurance is great for the end of the race and general fitness could be tackled in many ways. But still I see special endurance has something on its own that I cannot miss even if I’m not going to do the 200m. Can someone tell me specifically what does Special endurance do to your body? What specific components does it work on?

well you have a friend in me!! turned my dislike into aggression and will get the better of them!!

I’m no expert in physiology, but due to the distance it will evidently hit your lactic system. Which will be beneficial in particular in longer sprints (200, 400).

Your body is learning to tolerate large amounts of lactic acid. To run a fast 300 you produce large amounts of lactic acid, and the burning, heavy feeling in your arms and legs are the result. By doing longer runs with relatively lengthy rest intervals you teach your body how to tolerate it, and therefore run faster.