225 bench test

i agree with all the logic on the nonsense
of all the combine times and measurements- they are all ridiculous and are no measure of how well you perform on the field.
However, alot rides on every tenth of a second and every rep you can perform, this can be the difference between getting a shot at the big time.
Its stupid and its not fair-but AT LEAST we know we’ll be tested in it and can prepare for it in the best ways possible.
I dont mean to come down on anybody, and i hope it doesnt sound like it- i am greatefull there is a forum that so many knowledgable people take the time to contribute to.

Tom Green: I coached college football for 15 years up until 1991. I recall that in the late 70’s linemen, LB’s, RB’s were tested with the 225 lb. bench and others with the 185 lb. bench. In those early days the reps were in the 10-15 range. Still not really applicable but a little better than the high reps achieved today. Football coaches like to quantify everything and unfortunately it can cloud their judgement. Best line of the NFL draft was from Brian Billick when asked if he was concerned about Terrell Suggs 40 time. He replied that he would only worry if the QB started taking 40 yd. drops instead of 5-7 yds.

xlr8,
I’ll post the third workout tonight. No time right now.

Thomas

I think it is a poor reflection on any coach who relies solely on statistics (such as the 40 yd dash) to chose players for team games.

Speed can be measured - but can team-game speed, quickness, anticipation or reaction be measured statistically?

I have read that MJ was never (in Chicago Bulls tests) the fastest, quickest etc. but obviously ALL combined he was the fastest.

In team games the biggest speed muscle or component is your brain …

“Don’t go to where the puck is - Go to where it’s going”

On this point of speed and measurement of speed - the best qoute I’ve heard about speed was …

Franz Beckenbaur (great German soccer player and manager) was asked to comment on an opposition player saying that Franz Beckenbaur wasn’t the fastest from A to B …

The reply came “I might not be the fastest from A to B - but I never start at A”

'Nuff said

The third method:

Start off with a goal number in mind. Lets say 20 reps. Presently you can perform 15. The reps, sets and rest intervals have to be manipulated on an individual basis but generally speaking, the rest intervals should start at 1 min. and the reps begin at 3, 4 or 5 depending on your present strength levels. The workout would look something like this:

4 reps with 225. Rest 1 min.
4 reps with 225. Rest 1 min.
Repeat until you get 20 total reps.

Now, on the first workout you may wind up with this:

4 x 225
4 x 225
4 x 225
3 x 225
2 x 225
2 x 225
1 x 225

That’s ok. Stick with the reps until you can get 225 x 4 for 5 sets. This should not take more than a couple of workouts once you understand the effort that needs to take place. Now, once you reach that goal, reduce the RI to 50 seconds. Again, the sets and reps may change slightly. But stick with it.

This workout works out well when you don’t have a lot of time to prepare for a workout. Maybe 2 months or less. I favor combining this type of training one day with a heavy triceps workout 5-6 days later.

Again, this is very generally speaking and many factors come into play when designing an individuals workout.

No23,
Many of the coaches/scouts that grade football players are not rocket scientists. Some, you would be surprised, are not very bright at all.

Chosing players is not an exact science. However, many coaches use combines and pro days to see what level of fitness an athlete is in and wheater(sp) he has commited himself to preparing the proper way for an NFL team tryout. If an athlete shows up poorly prepared and over/underweight that shows a team the player’s work ethic may not be up to par with NFL levels.

Also at many of the workouts postion specific drills are performed. Players must perform well in those as well. Most coaches have never seen these athletes perform live. Yes, one-on-one drills or catching a ball by yourself is not the same as playing the game. But, as one coach told me, “I like to see what I might be paying for”.

Remember first impressions are lasting impressions. That goes for burger flipping as well as playing for the Eagles.

To sum everything up, there is a laundry list of reasons for chosing one athlete over another. But it’s not because an athlete runs a 4.6 and he’s supposed to run a 4.5.