225 bench test

all of us who follow or participate in football know that the 225lb. bench press test is a standard test at all combines and always inquired about. I train almost exclusively with low reps and high weight% in all my lifts-while my bench 1rm increases my 225 max rep effort stays the same.
How do you train to build up the proper strength endurance exclusive only to this lift?

Why train at weights on and around the 225 mark as well as training to increase your 1RM?

Maybe try doing all your low rep work and then drop back and finish with a 225lb set to failure.

hey all, I have a suggestion, athlete, train your reg heavy sessions as usual, and then later in the week about 3 days later do 1-3 sets with 225 on the flat bench with 3-5 min rest between intervals, this wont hurt your reg bench sessions and will more than likely increase recovery…DO just that in that session and maby some lats too…ALso a day or two later do some 100 pushups these should all help…

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/viewthread.php?tid=237&page=2

Athlete,

From a strength training point of view, Id stick with increasing your 1RM, and only do the 225lb rep max as a test in your easy/rest week. Do this at the start of your session after warm up when you are fresh.

llenny

Any idea why they use 225lbs for reps as a test?

Would like to hear the logic behind this one-

if you want to increase your 225 rep max, you MUST DO the 225 rep max! Trust me you will not decrease strength by doing what I suggested, read up on some WSB methods if you want to learn more about this…

I think I agree with cawb. At least, I know that simply increasing your bench max doesn’t directly translate into increased 225 reps. I trained up my bench max using sets of 1’s, 2’s and 3’s. I gained about 25 pounds on my max bench, but actually got one fewer rep at 225! This could have been because I tested the 225 reps at the end of a max strength cycle and didn’t leave enough time for supercompensation, but I still think that some rep work is necessary.

However, I’m not sure what the best protocol for optimizing 225 reps is yet.

Anyone else have ideas?

xlr8

You have to ask yourself what is more important. To gain strength or to have an impressive 225 bench count?
I think your short term priority is to train for the 225 test until you have a contract signed.
If you currently do 12 reps at 225 then I would (only on bench days) lift 3x12 with only 1 min of rest between sets , if 15 then 3x15 etc.
Also for the short term try 2 bench press days per week.
Train for endurance with chest and shoulders and continue to train for strength with other muscle groups.

I have a confession: I am a weeny. I am a lousy bencher. BUT, some several years ago, I, being a weeny and having tried ANY plan to build up my benching strength, gave the Finnish Deadlift routine a go…BUT I tweeked it for benching. Instead of doing the first 7 weeks at 10 reps, I did them at 20 reps per set. For the second 7 week phase, one is supposed to do 5 reps per set. I did 10. By the time I got to the last 6 week segment, the %'s were perfect for the indicated reps and weight. I was repping for 15 to 20 reps with weights which I could BARELY (if at all) do a single with at the start of the program. My body was ‘wired’ for doing high rep and fairly heavy benching because that is what I had been doing for 14 of the previous 20 weeks. If you have 15-20 weeks to kill 'til your test, give high rep benching a go. But it takes time. Can’t do it in 3 or 4 weeks, in my opinion. But I’m just a weeny.

To improve your 1RM you’d be training in the 2-6 rep range for 6-9 weeks. Why wouldnt your 225 rep max increase. Is there such a thing as a strength reserve? eg A guy who benches 350lb Vs 250lb. Youd expect the guy who benched 350lb to do more reps at 225lb than the guy who does 250lb.

What would be interesting is if anyone knows what NFL guys 1rm & 225lb rm scores are, and see if there is any correlation, between 1rm & max reps at 225lb.

llenny

Response to the logic of testing 225lb rep max for football- there is none.
Ive been playing football a long time and never in the middle of the game did i have to lie on my back-alienating my lower body and press a barbell of my chest for reps.
However, almost every combine you’ll go to will test you in it, and if you want to get a shot at proving yourself in the big time, you have to put up a good number.Thats just the way it is.

My personal expirience is even as my 1rm increases, my rep max at 225 stays stagnant. ill still train to increase my 1rm(reps 2-5) but i will throw in a day where i go like 3x10 with 225, and maybe some light speed benching.

I don´t know exactly why the what do you bench´ mentality of football (I played university ball too long ago to say!) but it is there. I figure that the 225 lb test is used at a combine because there are too many athletes to allow the time involved to test 1RM. One bar, 4 plates, and go get em. No messing around with calculating, loading, unloading, missed maxes…

The logic ranks right up there with all players running a handtimed 40 yard dash-

Ah yes, the “science” of tradition

Ive been playing football a long time and never in the middle of the game did i have to lie on my back-alienating my lower body and press a barbell of my chest for reps.

thats a classic line!!!:sing:

Originally posted by nightmare4d

[quote]

thats a classic line!!!:sing: [/quote]I used to date this really large girl…reminded me of the combine:D

There are many ways to improve your 225 for reps. I personally don’t like the test. However, if the scouts are going to use it as an indicator of what kind of shape you are in, you have to prepare for it. Although the test doesn’t determine what kind of football player you are, it does tell what level of fitness you are in.

First find out how may reps the scouts are looking for. For example, defensive backs can get away with 12-15. Linebackers need to have at least 20-22 to be acceptable. Lineman, at least 28, but will look better if the number is in the 30’s.

Here are the two ways I mentioned:

1. Find out how many reps you need. Perform as many reps with 225 as you can. Rest only as long as the time it took you perform the reps. Keep going, working and resting until you get to your goal. Even if you have to work/pause singles. Keep an accurate log of reps and rest intervals. Eventually the number of reps will go up with less sets.

2. Take your rep goal and a weight that you can meet that goal with. For example, you can get 205 for 20 reps. Each workout add a little weight to the bar such as 1/2 lb. or 3/4 lb. plates. Eventually you will get to 225 for the number of reps you need. This kind of workout is best used when you know the exact date of the test and many weeks to prepare for it.

These are just two methods. They are not the only two methods. I have a third method that is a little lengthy and if interested I will post it.

Originally posted by Thomas

These are just two methods. They are not the only two methods. I have a third method that is a little lengthy and if interested I will post it.

Please do…I’m interested!

xlr8

Originally posted by Tom Green
The logic ranks right up there with all players running a handtimed 40 yard dash-

tom, the combines are overrated. look at justin fargas, rb from usc, he put up the best numbers by a rb by far at the combine and also ran a faster 40 than terence newman. he got drafted in the 3rd round though. when it all comes down to it, game film is what they are looking at. and the first combine number they look at is the pro shuttle, because it is the most football specific movement used.