2015 WC's

She started gaining on SAFP by 60 or 70m, so that suggests to me she has superior top speed.

Ref; people whom I have met.

Getting pushed out of lanes, threatening comments. How about if you come back here training six of us are going to bash you. Easier and safer in a group, after all they are all reading the same book. Who remembers basketball “white man can’t jump”

Females reach max velocity earlier than males. So while the elite men are hitting max V beyond 60m the elite females are already in speed endurance (hence the reason why Charlie always referenced the greater proportional importance of speed endurance for females). No question, however, that when all things are equal, max velocity reigns supreme for males and females alike.

Theory suggests that while Shelly clearly has stronger start, acceleration, and max V and while Dafne seem superior from pure speed endurance (at least in the 100m) Shelly is dropping from a higher max V and therefore is still able to finish faster. That said despite the fact that it seems the differential between Shelly’s max V and her velocity when she crosses the line is greater than that of Dafne’s. The only other possibility is that Dafne accelerates longer, just not as fast, and hits max V at a farther distance. The splits will tell all when they become available.

Athlete behaving like that towards other athlete?
To be honest even with your references I don’t know whether you are serious or not.

I am.

Heard discussions at meetings about how they have to get x athlete from y coach. I don’t go to meetings any more.

dont think so, been with dennis for a while now, like years.

Julius Yego’s Gold Medal Throw of 92.72m. Not sure if anyone is familiar, however, Yego credits a large amount of his initial development to watching youtube videos of top throwers, not having worked consistently with a coach until he’d already been recognized on the world stage.

https://youtu.be/4CbVt17WBOI

I think the latter is what is happening, but hopefully splits will be available soon so we can know for sure. In any case, it would be interesting to find out something about her training. Her coach Bart Bennema used to be a decathlete (7995 in 1998). He also trains Nadine Visser who ran the 100m hurdles in 12.81s in the heptathlon at these world championships. The Netherlands are not exactly known for brimming with raw speed talent, so Bennema seems to be onto something. Nadine Broersen is another one of his world class heptathletes who have broken national records in individual events.

From what I’ve been able to find on Dafne’s training, it seems as if she surprised herself when making the transition from the Heptathlon to the sprints (by feeling really strong in the sprints) so it will surely be interesting to know more about her training. That said, while the Netherlands surely has no track record of producing burners in the sprints I think it’s safe to say that Dafne is packing some phenomenal genetic material.

Dafne was training as a heptathlete until very recently. In an article from 2011 her coach Bart Bennema explained her weekly setup:
mo pm circuit
tu am long jump, sprint, pm shot, strength
we rehab ex.
th am high jump, javelin, pm gymnastics, strength
fr am hurdles, shot, pm tempos
sa general ex., aerobic runs
su rest
On the basis of this non-specialized sprint program she already ran 11.19 and 22.90 as a junior that year. After winning the heptathlon at the European Juniors in July and resting she did a couple of speed endurance sessions and then ran 22.69 at the Worlds in Daegu (another heptathlon was considered to me too much strain).
So clearly she had huge sprint talent.

She was very fortunate that Bennema (b.1977), who is a national multi events coach, and was relatively inexperienced at the time, knew how to coach sprints as well. In April 2014 they went to Florida for a training camp with Rana Reider’s group. In the fall of 2014 Rana Reider moved his group to the Netherlands from the UK where he was let go and they are working more closely together now.

On the EUROSPORT TELECAST, the commentator said that he was talking to Christophe Lemaitre and Lemaitre was saying he felt he was training too hard and was overtrained. This I felt was an interesting comment. Does anyone know about his training and coach as he has certainly regressed these past couple of seasons which is unfortunate.

I saw that throw. Amazing speed and strength

The top 3 200 pics for the women include the british chick, elaine thompson and dafne. Elaine and dafne looked the most impressive in the semi’s. Gonna be a nice showdown.

Smart move from Felix to contest (and win) the 400m this time. The 200m seems to have the stronger competition this time round.

gatlin looked beat up in the final. Going undeafeated for 2 years and racing as much as he did takes a toll. Much respect, but bolt is the best ever.

The First part is right-on.

Half of the field closed on SAFP as well after the 6 sec. (approx.) so I doubt that very much. I will give robin1 HUGE props if so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E50ZV8vsfEc

//youtu.be/E50ZV8vsfEc

Slow Motion from the side at 2:48

Felix is a fierce competitor with so much talent. Much respect to her. I was surprised to see Ohuruogu finish so far back in the final.

Not knowing anything about the situation or Bennema, it’s possible that regardless of his sprint coaching knowledge and ability (which may have already been very good), he spent some time learning more about it when he saw just how much potential Schippers had.

Not at all in the same calibre as Schippers (yet?), but five years ago I knew almost nothing about coaching middle-distance when a promising young athlete ended up in my training group, and I had to learn pretty quickly because I was afraid of screwing her up.

I think Ohuruogu made the mistake of not running her own race. When Felix zoomed past her on the back straight she suddenly accelerated to go with her and then had nothing left in the last 50m which is usually the strongest part of her race.