2010 Indoor Track Program

I’m a male 55m sprinter and I’ve been on this site looking through the forums for a couple months now, and I’ve decided I would like to record this season’s training. I play baseball in the spring so my year is split with baseball in the spring and most of summer, then track for the end of summer, fall and winter (MIAA doesn’t allow athletes to participate in two sports, grrr). Any comments and suggestions would be great. And if any of you followed 123456asdf’s training journal, I am the partner that joined him beginning of September in his S-L program. Here’s my info:

Freshman year PR -> 7.23
Sophmore year PR -> 6.98
Junior year goal -> 6.6x (this is my first year of cf style training (previous years were on an almost exclusively tempo program), so hopefully this .3 drop is plausible with the added speed work)

weight -> 140-150lbs
height -> 5’6"-5’7"

approx. weights max:
squat -> 305 lbs
bench -> 190 lbs
clean -> 200 lbs

*I am revolving this season around the Divisional State Meet, which is on 2/20, in hopes to qualify for All-States

First FAT meet of the season tomorrow, goal of 6.84
I am treating all hand-timed meets as speed days and am only tapering for FAT meets

to be honest in early meets tapering is not necessary. for all HT u should round up to the nearest tenth, then add .24 to the time

yes, i dont have a FAT meet for over a month now, so in other words i was saying that im training through all the meets in january. thanks tho

Dec 30

looong warm up
55m -> 6.92 (qualified for divisional states)
4x200m -> 1:37.75 (split 23.76, also qualified for div. states)
(all run on mondo surface with sprinting spikes)

A. squat 5x6,4,3,3,2@ 250 lbs
A. incline db press 3x5@ 40 lbs
B. romanian deadlift 3x3,3,5@ 275 lbs
B. one foot calf raises w/ heels off a platform 3x9,7,5@ 75 lbs
C. one legged hamstring curls 3x8,11,5@ 40 lbs then 50 lbs
C. lat pull down (wide-grip) 3x5@ 90 lbs
C. db shrugs 3x5@ 65 lbs then 60 lbs
(local gym)

notes:
-letters are supersets, three min rest was used in between doing the same exercise or supersets
-the reps look kinda funky because i went AMRAP for a set weight instead of going for a certain amount of reps
-i went real light on the upper body because im planning on lifting upper on sat
-i misjudged how early i had to warm up for my event, so i warmed up pretty much for 2 hours 30 min, not so great
-the 55m start felt awesome, but top speed felt so-so. i contribute this to being my first full speed run because it was too cold to run fast outside and the track area was too crowded to do any full speed, if another round was run ii bet i couldve cut down to the 6.8x’s
-in the 4x2, i misjudged when to try and pass a competitor and ended up running the whole lap in lane 2

6.92 qualifies for divisional states? wtf kind of competition is this?

yeah… MA is real weak, if i went to a smaller school i think i could’ve qualified with around a 7.00. Div states is just the qualifying meet for the real state meet (called all-states) which i would need to run about a 6.7x to def qualify (top runners from each school size division go)

Dec 31

warm up
agility ladder drills :frowning:
tempo session (150m@ 75% and jogging in between)

4x12 push ups
2x12 swiss ball jacknives
3x30,30,60 sec prone cobra
2x6 overhead pvc squat
static stretching

notes:
-i know, i know, ladder drills are stupid, i was forced to do them by my coach who is a fan of them
-i lost count of the 150m runs, i didn’t do too much volume, and we were suppose to do them at race pace, but since i raced yesterday that would’ve been unrealistic
-i meant to stretch after yesterdays workout but forgot
-felt some popping in the back of my left shoulder, no pain, coach says may be because of dehydration

on saturday i have limited running space (40m max) so im planning on doing some plyos. i have never done them before, any suggestions?

Jan 2

warm up
4x25m from three-point stance
2x1 build ups to top speed
2x20m sled runs
2x5 hurdle hops
1x5 one-legged hurdle hops (each leg)
2x3 depth jumps
2x1 one-legged depth jumps (each leg)

1x5 bench press@ 155lbs
(local gym)

notes:
-3-4 min rest was used between runs and plyos
-this was my first time doing plyos (man, my legs are exhausted), i would’ve done more top speed work instead if i had more room to run
-nailed my knuckles while jumping a hurdle, a little swollen but should be fine with some icing
-i had a whole weight lifting session made up, but dinner was ready earlier than i expected :confused: guess i’ll have to wait til monday to lift again

Umm thats not all that bad. I mean thats pretty much NAIA national qual. mark, NJCAA too, probably DIII, and maybe DII. It also seems that he’s talkin bout high school level, so needing to run 6.7 to make state seems to be a pretty stiff compitition, so go figure. Also it seems the divisional-state thing seems to be like a regional meet, as they are called in other U.S. states.

We are talking about 55m not 60m…

Besides the fact it would only provo qualify @ those levels and prob not make it in the 60m, we are talking about the 55m as Football28 said. 6.7 55m wouldn’t have gotten to the conference meet to qualify where I was and we were definitely not a bastion of sprint greatness by any means.

Last time to make it into DIII every year in the 55m is sub-6.4…

yes, i’m in high school, and the 55m runners from my area generally run dIII in college (with the top guys usually running 6.7x to 6.9x). according to brown university’s sprinting coach, all his 55m guys run 6.5x-6.6x 55m’s so all i know is that people running that type of time can consider themselves pretty good. my 6.92 55m is my school’s FAT record, and the hand timed record is 6.6h 55m, so as you can see my school doesnt seem to have that strong of a sprinting program, so i came to this website!

and divisional states serves the same purpose as regional competitions just its divided by, instead of by region, school size (d1 schools are large, d2’s to d4’s are smaller and smaller)

Jan 4

warm up
agility ladder drills :frowning:
5x150+m@75%

A. Bench 4x6,5,4,3@155 lbs
A. Cable Rows 3x8,6,6@140 lbs
B. DB Shrugs 3x8,6,4@70 lbs
B. 45* Shoulder Raises 3x10,8,6@20 lbs
B. Lat Pull Downs (wide-grip) 3x8,6,5@130 lbs
C. Bicep curl 3x9,8,6@25 lbs
C. Tricep cable extensions 3x15,8,7@90 lbs then 110 lbs
C. Bentover Raise 3x10,8,6@15 lbs
D. Power Cleans 3x2@155 lbs
D. Band Knee Pull throughs 3x6,6,5 (skinny black band)
D. Ankle dorsi-flexion 3x6@45 lbs
E. Swiss ball jacknives 2x12 (big green ball)
E. prone cobra 2x60 sec
E. pvc overhead squat 2x6 (big pvc pipe)
E. natural glute ham raise 1x1
E. single leg curls 2x4@ 75 lbs then 90 lbs
(school’s weight room)

30 min hitting lesson (baseball)

notes:
-3 min rest was used between supersets and between doing the same exercise
-i HATE ladder drills, but my coach loves them, it was actually the entirety of our workout today to do the ladder drills, but my hip “popping” issue got me out of them and i ran the 150+m’s on my own
-i felt heavy on my feet during the 150+m’s (i ran lane 4 on a 150m track), probably from the ladder drills done before
-reps might not be accurate, but they’re close enough, for all upper body exercises i just loaded ~80% of my max and did AMRAP
-i wanted to do 2x4 of natural glute ham raises, but got a massive calf cramp during my first one, so i finished up on the leg curl machine
-my strength has really gone down as of late, so i did really high volume on the weights
-every monday i now have a hitting lesson from baseball

I read through your journal and I have a couple of questions.

Is the order that you have the lifts, etc listed the order that you follow?
Did you do any work prior to this journal?
Are these workouts that you have written or that your coach has written for you?

i joined 1234asdf’s training from the beginning of september til after thanksgiving (his training log is here -> http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=20871). i list my workouts n the same order i did them and 1234asdf wrote the fall running workouts, but i just tested around with a couple different weight lifting methods/plans during the fall. any suggestions you have i would appreciate because i’ve followed ur training log (whats up so far) and youve put up pretty impressive times and have had good progresion

1/5

(pre-meet day)
warm up
2x30m blocks
1x25m three-point stance

notes:
-a little sore from yesterday :confused: guess that’s expected with the volume i did
-felt powerful out of the blocks, but stride rate felt somewhat slow
-i was planning 3x30m blocks but got kicked off the indoor track by basketball, so i did my last one across a side court
-hand-timed meet on rubber track tomorrow, running 55m (goal->6.6h,6.7h) and 4x200m (goal->split in 24’s)

1/6

warm up
1x25m w/ overspeed band
1x25m three point stance
1x15m blast out
1x55m (6.7h)
cool down time
warm up
1x200m (4x200m, split 25.5 :()
(all run on rubber track w/ flats)

notes:
-the hand time seemed slow, my dad also timed it and got 6.6h plus i think my time was adjusted because another kid who ran “6.7h” beat me
-stride rate felt slow again at top speed, may have been overstriding during 55m
-fell behind from 25m-45m, rest of race felt strong
-felt exhausted while warming up for the 4x2, translated to bad time