200 meter running

What is the best way of telling a kid to run the 200 meter? How do you determine how fast should he run the turn? If he can run a 11.2 100 meters should you set goals for the first 100 meters off the turn or should he go all out?

thanx alot charlie…

If you’re skating, you’re probably not getting your arms back out front of the body at that point. PS don’t slingshot off the curve. Just keep form and let your running take care of itself.

so my biggest benefit may be 30’s and 40’s from blocks and from falling starts? i also have the problem of 'skating" when i come out of blocks (going side to side in my lane). i know that is a whole other issue but when i do my block starts i line them up so that i am running on the line separating the lanes. is there nay other things i can do to help this?

Great film of Marsh posted earlier. Shows terrific relaxation, and, I agree that a time in the mid 19.50s to low .60s was possible.

Working on a smoth acceleration phase will improve both the 100m and 200m, though you’ve made a lot of progress already. Based on your 55m times, it looks like a proper start/accel could contribute around 2 to 3 tenths in the 100m -which will yield up to 6 tenths in the 200m.

At 21.2, you could prob accelerate smoothly to 35m and maintain to the end for a PB.

i accelerate for about 30 then when i get to the end of the curve i slingshot off it open up and stay relaxed. my p.r. is 21.2h.
alot of athletes problem in the 200 is race distribution. they try and run the 200 like a 100. what i mean is they try and accelerate through the whole curve and they tie up at the end of the race. remember max velocity is hit at around 40 meters (longer for women) and can onlly be held for 10 meters.

Try having him accelerate for 30m out of the blocks and maintain his speed from there and see what happens. That’s prob the best way for most people anyway.

charlie, you just brought up a painful memory and the reason i am redshirting this year. my hip flexor had be a problem for all of last outdoor season. the last meet of my summer season i ran 22.31 in trials in finals i did not feel great warming up however i figured its my last meet and ill have time to recover well i feel weird accelarating on the curve and tried to slingshit coming off the curve and this is where i totally fu***d up my hip flexor. i have resumed training however after months off and rehab with a physical therapist. From my MRI follwing the injury i have no scar tissue. i still slightly feel it with high intensity sprint work but i am just gettin back into it now.

my meaning is the same as yours, or atleast thats what I have been told to do at the curve, was to increase stride frequency.

The problem with this extra effort off the curve is it’s expensive in terms of energy efficiency and dangerous, as it’s the place you almost always see injuries in the 200m. It often looks like the top guys are making a move there, but, in reality, it’s usually where the end of the stagger shows the true position of each athlete. Look carefully at Michael Johnson’s 200m from Atlanta and see how amazingly even it is, once he gets up to speed!

talus. i agree but please explain what you mean by “slingshot”. i simply use it as a figure of speech. when i am getting near the end of the curve i increase my stride frequency and coming off the curve i think i increase my stride length. to me this feels like i am slingshotting.

Just a quick question, I have always been told to sling shot off the curve in the 200, why is that bad? I’m in no way doubting charlie, just would like some explantion please :wink: Thanks

charlie,
during the collegiate season last yr my pr’s were 22.02 and 11.00 both FAT. i continued my season through the summer but most meets were hand timed. In the summer 3 weeks after my last meet of the college season i ran 10.6 and 21.2 hand time. i feel i need to work on my start and acceleration mechancis as it is even more evident how poor they are judging from my best 55 m time which is 6.63fat. my best indoor 200 was 22.54.
what do you think?

I’ve always been told that when running 2’s I should blitz the bend as hard as i can. Then as I hit the straight I should lift my hips so that my cadence is maintained, but stride length increased.
I was just wondering whether this is the best way of running them, or if there’s a more energy efficient way of racing 2’s?? :help:

‘‘you could prob accelerate smoothly to 35m and maintain to the end for a PB’’

Charlie or anyone, why just acclerate to 35m and then maintain, why not 45m and then maintain?

mr_magoo

Not sure about hip height but I hear various athletes stating they maintain a high knee lift for the latter part of the race, but I also hear others stating they drop their knee height for a quicker cadence? I do not know which is the most effective way to run in terms of energy efficiency or speed, although I tend to drop my knees.

Originally posted by QUIKAZHELL
i feel weird accelarating on the curve and tried to slingshit coming off the curve and this is where i totally fu***d up my hip flexor.

Hmm, this is interesting. Well I certainly could see how getting hit in the face with shit could throw your opponents off, but it does seem risky as trying to aim your slingshit while running at high speeds would probably result in sprains and strains in many cases. Interesting food for thought, though.

sorry made a typo…
i " felt" weird… lol. and slingshot"""
not “i feel weird accelarating on the curve and tried to slingshit coming off the curve and this is where i totally fu***d up my hip flexor.”

wow. thats what i get for posting in a rush between classes. suprised notbody else caught my slingshit typo.:wink: