100meter race

When it comes to starts, I think Descartes said it best: “I think, therefore I’m still here!”

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Forget about the DVDs and the rest, Charlie!

bring on THAT BOOK ! ! !

i know john smith said in one of his HIS series that the phases of the 100m are:

1. drive phase
  2. acceleration phase
  3. deceleration phase

he says the drive phase should last for about 30-50m depending on one’s strength (Mo greene could stay down for 27steps!).

acceleration phase up to 70-80m again depending on the athlete’s top speed and power and then the deceleration phase follows.

he says he doesnt beleive in a top speed phase since the second u reach ur max phase you start deceleration to 99.9, 99.8, 99.7% etc and only the stronger athlete (finisher) keeps that deceleration to a minimal.

of course, you are talking about a level where speed endurance’s contribution is minimal; according to this strict definition, if top speed is not needed either, let’s simply drive, shall we?

i’ll stick with some speed endurance work, however, as by 40m i’m finished with both accel and top speed :smiley:

Yeah, I’m not buying that line of thinking either. Just look at the 10m splits of the top male/female athletes and you’ll see where the speed endurance comes in :cool: .

the top speed comes in at a much later stage compared to us mortals; at this level the need for speed endurance becomes less and less

that’s my understanding anyway
others?

There is a cresting of speed up and down during top speed but the changes throughout this period are small. As for 27 steps down, check the film. That would make 27 down and 17 up over the 100m.

and suddenly, the finish line! :eek:

I think that you’re a pretty funny guy. Subtle (sp?) but very funny!

It’s a little known fact that some of his best writing was done when he was on the track team at Sorbonne U

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

won’t say it again, THE BOOK!

If i could add, the whole drive phase and staying down only came around when Mo got fast. and maybe marion. I didnt see donovan doing it, or Obadele or Tim or Carl or Leroy B., or even John Drummond until John Smith was coaching him or Dennis Mitchell, or even Andre Cason and he was short.
But Ben got up fast look at the pictures. Now I know we all dont have the strength of Ben, not yet at least. But the theory of getting into your sprinting form while maximizing power would still hold true, maybe it takes me or you 4 or8 more steps but the theroy should work.
I like the 27 and 17 that was funny.
Aloha

did I not say this is the most important thing after the reaction of the start, yes I did!

wot is the view like up charlies arse!!!

pretty nice, thanks!
:slight_smile:

Read your comments again and mine.

A little aside on John Smith’s theory. I have a good friend who has been running 7.0 secs circa for 60m this season. He based his accel pattern (head down) and all that on JS theory. Anyway, he read a thread on this site where Charlie commented on Pignon loosing because of the head down leading to a rounded back and so on. So… over the week end he decides to take Cf’s advice on board in a competition. Sets his head so he is looking forward and not down. Gun goes he moves like “shit off a shavel” and clocks 6.86 secs.

…case and point! Don’t you just love application. :smiley:

im confused!
i thought head should be in line with spine during acceleration…wouldnt one have to look down during the first 15/20m or so? Danger of looking foward is that one’s head may pop up to soon cutting off acceleration??
How does one know if head is in line with spine…can this be achieved just by relaxing shoulders, upper body, face and it’ll come naturally?

The only thing that will happen in less than 6.86 sec is for some “expert” to run over and say: “Wow that’s great! Think how fast you’ll be when you add in the Drive Phase!”
Wait for it. It’s predictable