Zhanna On The Blocks For August 2 Return

PARIS, July 15 (AFP) - World 100 metres championZhanna Block is back in training and has set her sightson an August 2 comeback in Heusden, Belgium, accordingto her husband and agent Mark Block.
The Ukrainian has been out of action since June 24,when she pulled up with a hip injury at the Trikalameeting.
``Zhanna’s doing well, she’s back in training asnormal in the Ukraine. Before going to Stockholm (August5) and London (August 8), she’ll make her comeback atHeusden in the 100 and 200 metres,’’ Block told AFP.

She was hiding out here in Toronto for a few weeks till a few days ago. When approached by two different people who recognized her at the track, she denied that she was who she obviously was! Hmmmm!

I love this board!!!

Charlie,
It is like we talked about. She is working on a vaccine for SARS. 10x100m Single Leg Grass Bounds. She wanted to test it in Toronto before taking it to Asia.

Originally posted by kitkat1
PARIS, July 15 (AFP) - World 100 metres championZhanna Block is back in training and has set her sightson an August 2 comeback in Heusden, Belgium, accordingto her husband and agent Mark Block.
The Ukrainian has been out of action since June 24,when she pulled up with a hip injury at the Trikalameeting.
``Zhanna’s doing well, she’s back in training asnormal in the Ukraine. Before going to Stockholm (August5) and London (August 8), she’ll make her comeback atHeusden in the 100 and 200 metres,’’ Block told AFP.

CHARLIE CONGRATS, I JUST NOTED YOU’VE TOPPED THE 1000 POSTS! HOW DO YOU FIND THE TIME. -kk

Thanks Kit Kat.
When my friend Mario approached Zhanna here in Toronto (which is not part of the Ukraine as far as I know- though, perhaps with all the SARS news, we’ve been traded recently), she came up with this rather amazing reply: “I yam not whoo you tink I yam.”
Perhaps she was practicing her interpretation of Marlene Ditrich. Husband/agent Mark Block will have to work on her “duck and dodge” technique: "Honey, if someone knocks on the door and asks “Is anybody there?”, don’t say: “NO!”

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
Thanks Kit Kat.
When my friend Mario approached Zhanna here in Toronto (which is not part of the Ukraine as far as I know- though, perhaps with all the SARS news, we’ve been traded recently), she came up with this rather amazing reply: “I’m yam not whoo you tink I yam.”
Perhaps she was practicing her interpretation of Marlene Ditrich. Husband/agent Mark Block will have to work on her “duck and dodge” technique: "Honey, if someone knocks on the door and asks “Is anybody there?”, don’t say: “NO!”

WHY did she train in Toronto though? No travelogue please.

This could be a whole thread:
Reasons to run in Toronto:

a)
b)
c)

KitKat location - Tasmania woodchopping factory :confused:

Charlie perhaps they were thinking Canada was part of Alaska before Alaska was sold to the US

I was wondering how she manages to do it when I saw her at World Indoors. There’s a certain irony in doing it in Toronto - puritan central. :wink:

Reasons to run in Toronto:

a. The Ukraine doesn’t have a good internet connection from which Mark Block can send poison e-mails to members of the press attacking Zhanna’s rivals.

b. Better steaks (Canadian beef - no mad cows here!). Can be eaten in under a minute without breaking more than one tooth.

c. Checking to see if any of her rivals were also training secretly in Toronto so she could chastize them for making such a decision, since it would hurt the track world (how conscientious of her!).

d. Leafs fan. Apparently she hates the Habs.

e. Somewhat close to Edmonton, where she snuck out a 100m win from her favourite rival in 2001.

In all seriousness, she may have a legitimate reason for being in T.O., but she and her husband have publicly stated they were somewhere else. When the Greek athletes did this, they were met with a storm of criticism. Why are these two exempt?

What about the Condomania Store downtown?

I’m interested?

Will Zhanna come and challenge or beat Chandra at the worlds?

I’ll be interested to see what she can do over both distances in Belgium.

Charlie, was she there to see you? Perhaps and this is stretch another danger (competitior) of hers is seeking your advice and she wants to know what the G.O. is???

Forgive me, my mind wanders!:stuck_out_tongue:

No. She wasn’t here to see me!

I believe you Charlie:D

Hmmmm then why Toronto of all place?

Funny things are going down.

Presumably she was here for therapy, but I don’t care if it was Hole-In-The-Wall Wyoming, she/they lied when they said they were in the Ukraine.

Charlie, do you still believe that if she didn’t get “long” in the last 30m that she could run 10.7? Interesting to see what effect the injury has had on her plans and whether she’ll still double or just try for the 100 defence.

Likely. I don’t see how she isn’t losing time struggling to lengthen her final strides. She argues that you must lengthen the stride to make up for a rate loss. I argue that the rate loss is, in large measure, due to the deterioration of form as the stride degenerates into a cartwheeling action. Take your pick (Check the film of Flo-Jo. You don’t see her changing her mechanics!)

Flo-Jo had the strength that Zhanna could have only dreamed of!

150kg lunges etc. And then talk of her running 600s with the middle 400m in 49s. She was a remarkable woman. her body also with such a small waist and narrow hips and from front on she looked quite small. Then side on she was so full through her quads and hammies and glutes.

Charlie, during you time did you get to see FGJ train ever?