Young Female Sprinters weight training.

As far as weight training is concerned preseason what would be appropriate for a 5’4 96 pound female sprinter (high school frosh) with p.r.'s of 60 in the 400, 26.2 in the 200 and 13.1 in the 100 as an 8th grader. She has weight trained before mainly with machines with a bodybuilder type split routine.

Would it be more benificial to do total body circuits 2x/week consisting of 10-12 exercises 2 times through or would it be better to do a setup such as a squat variation, push core exercise, posterior chain exercise, pull exercise, followed by 1 or 2 assistance exercises such as lat raises followed by some core work.
Also, I know it probably would be important to work on squat form early on but should this be done right away. I feel that it would take close to a whole session alone.

those numbers are pretty damn good. Is this a hypothetical situation?

Anyhow, some sophomore guys are slower in my high school.

I wouldnt see why couldnt integrate a young male sprinters weight training with female, except for probally less weights.

i agree- she must be decently strong already to run a 26/60! If I were you I would go with the second proposal, especially if she has done some kind of resistance training already.

Here is what was done on Day #1. It went well.

Swiss Ball Core Circuit
Hip Mobilty Circuit

Squats-Broom Stick 4x8
Incline DB press-3x8
Lat Raises-3x8
Seated Rows-3x8
Leg Raises-3x12

Tommarow I work with her again and I am planning on this…

Dynamic Warmup
Hip Mobilty Circuit

MED BALL MULTI CIRCUIT
1 X 10 CHEST PASS OFF WALL
1 X 10 OVERHEAD PASS OFF WALL
1 X 10 SIDE TOSS OFF WALL - RT / LFT
1 X 10 SHOT PUT TOSS OFF WALL - RT / LFT
1 X 10 BACK TO WALL TOSS OFF WALL - RT / LFT

DUMBELL COMPLEX
4x Anterior Lunge (Each Leg)
4x Forward Lunge
4x Side Lunge
4x Backwards Lunge
4x High Pulls
4x Clean Grip Lunge
4x DB Snatch

And Friday Im planing on doing a session similar to Day #1 including more work for the posterior chain… Most likely hyperextensions later turning into RDL’s or regular deadlifts for a progression for the powerclean eventually.

Thoughts?

Looks good for the most part, but be careful at first, because if she’s not used to lifting heavy weights they will likely make her quite sore for a little while.

Try to get her to take protein shakes, or get extra protein through her diet.
just curious, Is she family? Friend? or just coaching?

I spoke to her father about nutrition.
I am working at a facility in the town where I attend college. I have clients who I work with and some that I work with initially as a favor to to the owner such as this particular athlete who apparently is friends with her parents. This is supposed to actually be an internship which I am doing the last semester of school but since I know more than everyone at the place I am leeway to do what I want to do, make my own hours etc.