World Record 19.31!!1

Oh Yes. A 19.31 is so much tougher than a 9.69!! ON WHAT PLANET??
It was tougher to do here cause he was tired and had less than optimal conditions.
You saw my comparative analysis of 19.04 and I’m sticking to it- as the minimum he can do if all goes perfectly.

This is all I could find with a quick search.

Running in Lanes
3. In all races run in lanes, each athlete shall keep within his allocated lane from start to finish.
This shall also apply to any portion of a race run in lanes and in a race (or any part of the race) not run in lanes, when an athlete runs on a bend, on or inside the line (or kerb) marking the inside of the track (including on the diversion from the track for the steeplechase water jump).

Except as stated in 163.4, if the Referee is satisfied, on the report of a Judge or Umpire or otherwise, that an athlete has run outside his
lane, he shall be disqualified.

If an athlete either:
(a) runs outside his lane in the straight, and no material advantage
is gained or
(b) runs outside the outer line of his lane on the bend, with no material advantage thereby being gained, and no other athlete is obstructed then he shall likewise not be disqualified.

as i know it, the inch wide line is part of the lane, so if you step a little bit over the line, it’s tresspassing

I was shocked to just see here that Martina was DQ’d! Personally I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a runner DQ’d for lane violation in the 200 (seen it in 400 though). I thought the Spearmon DQ could be somewhat justified because he may have gained an advantage on Crawford (also consider Crawford’s .2+ reaction), but Martina? come on!!! Let’s see the footage! I’m surprised USA didn’t protest Bolt with a lane violation:rolleyes:

I just read in the newspaper that bolt said he would no longer run individual events, only relay events for his country. Anybody else hear this?

yea…at this olympics.

Yes bolt’s retiring from individual running :wink:

I didn’t believe it either, I’m sure the reporter misinterpreted what he said.

Bolt said the 200m final was his last individual event and that relay he “guesses” he’s doing.
Pretty obvious too its his last event doh

Who Has The Video For This Thing. Omg!!!

No, the reporter said he was done running individual events, period. That’s the mixup.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

WOW!!! I’m kinda… idk… speechless? Lol, congrats to him. I just saw the video and was shocked. I told myself I wasn’t going to come to this site until the 200 was over with. I didn’t know it already happened. Thought I’d check the site for no reason and there it was. Great surprise of the day! Hmmm… wow.

It’s up on youtube already.

I’d love to see him on the 4x4!!

9.69 and 19.30 in the same olympics, ridiculous! :eek:

Shame that it’s barely covered, NBC is still trying to sell Michael Phelps dvd’s while they get their delayed footage ready…:mad:

Based on the actual effort vs the performance, it would seem that the 19.30 was tougher. Granted he did it after the 4 rounds of the 100m, and 3 rounds of the 200m. I have heard many 100/200 doublers say that sub20 is much harder than sub10. Ato Boldon being the most notable. Then again, most of the doublers focus on the 100 far more, and the effort is sometimes lopsided.

If we’re to assume that with no wind, Bolt is able to run 9.60, then by the same calculations I used that came up with 19.28-19.36, this would lead me to believe he could run anywhere from 19.18-19.28. 19.04 would require speed in the area of 9.50, and i’m not ready to believe he can run that with no wind:eek: .

Also does ANYONE have any idea what his 1st 150m was? It had to be rediculous, because he was running his race with a lot more speed early on than MJ. If they were to be put side by side, Bolt would have lead off the turn, and MJ would have been catching him the majority of the race.

And it’s right back off of youtube

NBC’s coverage is horrendous. I will never spend another Olympics outside the CBC coverage area again.

I’ve been using a Canadian proxy to change to a Canadian IP so I’ve been able to watch the CBC on demand video, but I haven’t been able to get the live streaming to work no matter what. If anyone needs help accessing the CBC on demand videos, let me know and I’ll help, it’s easy.

Thank god for Bahamian TV! That website has been a lifesaver, and the coverage has been good too.

How stupid is NBC going to feel now, missing the 100 metre final and 200 metre final live? What a bunch of idiots!

NBC is getting ripped all over the net and I hope it results in some change(who’s covering the competitions and how the competitions are presented) but I’m guessing it won’t.

If Tom Hammond and Carol Lewis are considered worthy of holding on to their jobs after a number of years of displaying incompetence, I can’t see NBC “getting it” now.

I hope I’m wrong, though.

I think Ato is generally doing a good job. He seems to be improving as an analyst.

The Bahamas feed has been very valuable. It’s pretty clear what’s popular when the only time it freezes up(at least when I’m watching) is when track and field is on-and I’ve watched/listened to many other sports on that site.

Since NBC is making a record amount of money from these games, I doubt they’ll change the setup.

That’s, primarily, why I doubt they will change. They don’t/won’t see a need when they are raking in the major bucks.

To get the full gist of their attitude on the subject, one of their executives recently pointed out(when it was mentioned that the network was recieving heavy criticism) that they are in the entertainment business and not in the business of live sports coverage. I guess that did not apply to swimming, though.

Interestingly, it’s not merely(as I have seen and been informed by others) the track junkies who take issue with their poor coverage as many fans who are not necessarily hard-core track and field fans have questioned the NBC crap.

I hope the switch to digital tv (for us in or near the US) will open avenues to increase future Olympic coverage. It would be awesome to have normal NBC on channel 5.1, general sports coverage on 5.2, 24 hour track coverage on 5.3, etc.