Workout setup question. Feedback Needed!

I do think that the tempo was affecting us. Im gonna see how this new plan goes. I think that the lighter workouts during the week after work will serve some good.

Really?? You must be all white fiber LOLOL… I find the wieghts do me in… It rained yesterday so I went a little harder on the squats b/c I did not run. I felt a little stiff this morning but boy did I feel like I could barely jog tonight. After I got to the end of the big tempo session I felt real good… It could have been the theivery corporation pumping in my mp3 player too :slight_smile:

WEll I hate tempo. Jogging is the worst for me. Plust my achilles kills me and all the other misc aches. I would rather run fast all da time.

I bet tempo is the one thing you really need…Im still coming back from were I was in my early 20’s (Im 38 now)but doing the extra tempo this spring I went from struggling to run 24.9 to running 23.9 and I felt like I could run faster too . I got to the point that I could just do the big circut with ease at a good pace. I def feel like the fitness from tempo helped my 200 and 100.

Oh and quickazhell put me on to Beta7 from Biotest. That helped my workouts feel like I could finish them with the same intensity from start to finish. I thought it was all in my head until I ran out of the Beta7 and I started to struggle with the tempo and my speed reps over 120. When I got my Beta7 everything went back to normal…

Have you tried a high quality Flaxseed oil? I was taking a table spoon in the morning on an empty stomach.

I hate tempo but i am able to finish. I have been doing alot of 300’s for tempo. When I do 100 or even 200’s it is a walk in the park. I take http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=2555
Pretty good stuff.

HAHA someone just gave me bad rep points for this post and put “irrelavant crap” as the comment LOLOLOL

too funny…

lol wasnt me

I didnt think so… :slight_smile:

I do find that music (like thievery corporation) puts me in a trance when I do tempo. I hate tempo too this takes my mind off of it and it puts me in a nice rythm. I felt so good after the session that I jumped on the track and ran the last 100m hard… Im nice and loose today…

BTW good luck with the training. I had your same schedule last fall abut I had to commute 2hrs in morning and 3hrs at night (thanks to the traffic next to Yankee stadium) So I know what your going through. Make sure you get your sleep in too… I started gaining some serious wieght cuz of the lack of sleep and could not recover from the speed sessions.

music helps me out during tempo also. But the speed before was killing me. I should be good now

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me whether they have had any success with the set up:
Day 1- Speed
Day 2- Weights
Day 3- Tempo
Day 4- Speed
Day 5- Weights
Day 6- Tempo
Day 7- Rest

I ask because although it does spread the load, it does increase the high intensity sessions to 4 instead of 3 and allows for you to possibly ‘put-out’ more than you should. For example in Charlie’s weights for speed download he discusses that although an athlete may have 5x5 scheduled for the weights after the track if they can only put out 2x5 then that is enough because that is all that is left in the pool. The extra recovery period between speed and weights may possibly have a more detrimental long term effect on recovery (i.e. one day to recover from two high intensity sessions in a row before being faced with two more, than in the more traditional set up of one hi then one low alternating). Possibly the only way around this to continue making progress is to have a 2-1 set-up of two hard weeks then one maintenance instead of the recommended 3-1. Or maybe I’m just over thinking the whole thing! :slight_smile:

That setup works very very well.

I think this set up may work. Im just afraid that you may be fried from the speed session not know it kill yourself some more in the weight room ie p cleans. will you be doing any plyos and med ball. Just me but I hate working out everyday. Mentally I just need a day or 2 away from working out.

Yes I would do plyo’s on the speed days.

I suppose it is important not to succumb to the temptation to do more in volume for either speed, plyos, explosive med ball or weights just because they are done over two days instead of one.

Thanks for that Faivala. Can you provide any examples?

Now I think about it. I dont like two back to back high intensity days. I think you are gonna kill your cns.

[[[I used this as a jumper.]]]

nothing fancy, template:

day 1: short app work (8 step) + speed 4 x 60
day 2: weights (cleans 6 singles, squat 4x4, rdls) and bounding (5 x rlrl)
day 3: tempo 12x100
day 4: app work (12 step) [= accel work] + 2 x 140
day 5 weights (snatches 6x2, partial squats, step ups) and plyos (6x4 low height depth jumps)
day 6: 18x100 tempo or what ever similar

I sometimes ended up dropping one extensive tempo day, usually the shortest one.

my real case:

[i]

javelin + short app lj + 3x120
snatch 2x3 2x2 quarter squats 5x4 row 4x4
tempo 10x100, 5x110, 2x100 knee lead hops + i bench
short app lj (8 step ) + 4 x 50m
javelin + clean 8 singles + full squat 4x4 + bench 4x5 + glute ham raises 2x10
off
short apps LJ (6 step) + 5x60m
3x6 cmj + 10 x LRLR + quarter squat 5x4 + 4x2 snatches
short app jumps + 16 x 100 tempo
off
1 progression90% + very short app jumps x 30 +/- [bad weather]
cmj 4x4 + 5 x LRLRL + full squat 2x6 2x4 [strength peaked] + step ups 3 x 4+4 + ghr 3x10
off
4 x 30 2x60 1 x100
off [no facilites av.]
off [no facilites av.]
4x30 3x130 [no facilites av.]
[/i]

I’m an avid believer in lifting after you sprint. I’m also not sure that you’re increasing the amount of high intensity sessions by splitting sprinting and weight sessions to different days. Furthermore, if you were to increase the amount of high intensity days it would prove detrimental in the long run. I wouldn’t try to deviate from Charlie’s system. Your CNS system has a greater capacity for work and it would be far more beneficial to get it done in one day. Sprinting, weights, and plyos in moderation could be performed without overloading your CNS. You will recover in about 2 days even though you will still feel soreness. Remember the goal of a successful workout session would be to work just under your CNS threshold to achieve the benefits of supercompensation.

I’m an avid believer in lifting after you sprint. I’m also not sure that you’re increasing the amount of high intensity sessions by splitting sprinting and weight sessions to different days. Furthermore, if you were to increase the amount of high intensity days it would prove detrimental in the long run. I wouldn’t try to deviate from Charlie’s system. Your CNS system has a greater capacity for work and it would be far more beneficial to get it done in one day. Sprinting, weights, and plyos in moderation could be performed without overloading your CNS. You will recover in about 2 days even though you will still feel soreness. Remember the goal of a successful workout session would be to work just under your CNS threshold to achieve the benefits of supercompensation.

So far this plans seems to be working well. We had a workout yesterday that was tough but we made it through. We had some season best lifts in the squat after the workout also.