My Speed Development Log

I have from May 6 until August to develop my speed as much as possible. I bought the CFTS and am reading it as often as I can. The book, and also other training logs, have changed some of my views on training for the better.

Currently I am 6’ 4.5" 210 pounds. Here are some of my measurables from last fall, some have increased, others decreased, but I am bringing the decreased ones back up to where they were rather quickly.

40 yard: 4.87 (cleats on grass)
May 2009 100m: 11.9
squat: 315
bench: 250
clean: 245
vertical jump: 30"
pro agility: 4.41
-Quarterback-

Goals:
40: 4.6
2. VJ: 34" (And dunk a basketball finally… basically this goal is: Develop some athleticism :cool:)

At this point, my speed is by far the most important.

I have been lifting and running pretty consistantly over the past 2.5 weeks. Lift 3x week, 85% upper body. Running 4-5x per week.

Running workouts have included

-10x100m tempo
-8x100m tempo + 2x 1 minute stairs + ran 3x3 hurdles with an old teammate
-sled pulls + 20m accelerations
-3x400m
-7x70m
-wind resisted sprints x5 by 30m + plyo hops (single speed/power, double speed/power) + dot drill
-5x40 + 1x400m

For early season work, I am feeling pretty well. I haven’t timed any of the runs… I dont have a coach, I just run my hardest. I’ve done all of my training on my old HS track except the sled pull day. Today was the first true speed day I have had. Put on the ol track spikes and felt fast!

my speed workouts have been pretty spotty over the last 2 weeks or so. Been running about 2 or 3 times / week. I haven’t felt very fast in all but 1 of those days.

I work construction and its been brutal. Pouring concrete 6 hours of the 9total hours per day. My only option is to lift/run afterwards in the evening.

Also, I tried doing a squat workout one monday and was painfully sore until saturday! Didn’t get any speed work done from tuesday- monday.

Ultimatum: no more squats for the rest of the summer. Cant afford it. When I squat Im sore. And slow. And tired. Going to focus on speed at all times like I had been earlier. I plan on squatting again in the fall or winter.

If anyone reading this has some advice for general strength periodization phases… and would like to share… Im all ears. I have just beat myself into the ground with my bench press. Havent gone up in 2 years. To be honest, Im almost dumbfounded that a strength plateau can last that long.

Right now Im on week 7 of 12 in a 3 phase cycle.

Phase 1: 4x10
Phase 2: 4x6
Phase 3: 4x3

I felt a lot stronger in week 6 than i did in week 1, but in week 7 I didn’t see gains. It could just be an off week, but Im still concerned with my hypertrophy stage. I am feeling like Im losing what I had gained in the 4x12 phase. My muscle mass is reducing (not a good thing). Im set on completing the 12 weeks, but my next cycle, I plan to work like this:

Phase 1: 6 weeks hypertrophy (4x10)
Phase 2: 10 weeks max strength (5-3-1) doing the critical bench program. I might not go all 10 weeks though. See how it goes.

Anyway. Back to speed. As I am training for the 40y dash, I have set up a plan like this:

Hills 30m
Sprints 20-30m
Sprints 40-100m
Tempo 100-200m
Plyos and Jumps

Incorporates all speed components for the 40 yard dash trainee:
Speed all week long. 5 day split. Days listed in order above. No lower body weight lifting. Proper warm up and flexibility to be done afterward.
• Sled pulls and hills are an acceptable late-pre-season substitute for strength. Acceleration directed training. Strength + resisted sprinting. Low, take-off body angle. 100% effort, despite reduced speed.
• Sprints 20-30m transition from acceleration into maximal velocity. Sprints could be into a head wind. 100% effort, possible reduced speed with wind.
• Tempo: 65% effort. Very high volume. Used to condition the muscles for endurance. More effective than long distance runs.
• Maximal velocity sprints 40-100m. Speed Endurance. Volume TBD. 100% effort. Acceleration and start can vary. Work on maintaining top speed.
• Plyo jumps can be incorporated any day of the week. Said to positively affect each aspect of the race. From the explosive start and first step, to the acceleration phase, to the maximal velocity. Jumps should include: Both horizontal and vertical explosive hops and jumps on one and two legs. Sets and reps should vary daily by fatigue.

Monday:

6x70m
weights

Wednesday:

2x10 tuck jumps superset with-
2x10 squat jumps

4-4-4x20m R & L & Both Legs speed hops
4x20m skips for height
4x20m skips for distance
4x20m bounding

12x(30m approx.) hills @ 15 to 25 degree incline. Felt pretty good today. Got tired at the end, but speed was as to be desired. Looking foreward to Friday. Im thinking I might do some 30m w/ starts or some 40s at max effort.