Why Tempo Training Leads To Increased Force Output Production At High Frequency

If slow fibres are responsible for oxidising lactate, then an athlete with a predominantly high fast fibre make-up would not be able to tolerate high volumes of lactic work is that correct?

Also they would need longer recoveries between near to full max runs that rely on glycolysis as the main source of energy. Is this the case?

Would high volumes of lactic work cause fast to convert to slow or an intermediate fibre to deal with lactic?

According to studies carried out by Schmidt bliecher on Maximal voluntary contractions. Performance was significantly impaired in speed, stretch-shortening and maximal contractions 1 day after a lactic session. Due not to lactic still being present but depleted sugar levels and the effect on the nervous system. The reflex of the nervous system (H-reflex) is impaired.

Yes but I don’t consider tempo has lactate training! As Charlie states the runs are run at 75% and should feel relatively easy!

Please people lets stick to the argument at hand! Otherwise start your own thread!

that’s what i meant…

thanks!

1. lactic can be cleared up by all fibres, i believe, as all fibres have mito

2. it might be the case, as lactic acid/lactate can reach high levels in these workouts, but this -LA- is not the only reason why longer recoveries might be necessary (e.g., CNS stress, even for these sessions at the highest level)

3. i don’t think it comes from the LA itself -well, it doesn’t anyway- but in the long run from the pace that a high volume of these workouts generates, i.e., lower than optimal pace, i.e., possible fibre conversion

4. last one on this, as Super… is right; sorry! :o

From my understanding:

1. Not necessarily. An athlete who is trained may be able to buffer the lactic acid and tolerate a high volume of work, but would take longer to recover.

2. As noted above, the recovery periods needed may be longer. There are a whole lot of factors at play here, though; considering how the athlete has been trained, the number of repetitions, distances covered and the total volume of work performed, etc.

3. Yes, high volumes of lactic work with decreased recovery (ie.intensive tempo) would cause the transitional fibres to ‘behave’ more like ST than FT fibres (High volume with long recovery may not). I believe this is one of the reasons why charile has his intensity cut-offs for tempo. Stay out of the intermediate work to prevent the shift in transitional fibre, but give the body enough low-intensity work to increase capilarization and mitochondrial density in the muscle. Not only will tempo work act as a recovery method between sessions, but will also cause adaptations that help the body to recovery while performing high intensity work. The adaptations discussed will help increase the rate of disapperance of lactic acid through increased lactate and oxgen delivery to the muscles, and an increased number of mitochondria to oxidize the lactate once it has been transported to the ST fibre.

That being said, I am by no means an expert in this field, and may be a little off. I have a grand total of 1 masters level exercise physiology classes under my belt. This is not my primary area of study. I simply took the class because I had a decent science background, and wanted to make my studies a little more challenging.

Maybe Nik or others have some input.