Why is this theory a bad one?

Ok, the first bit is obvious but nessesary, the second part is a theory, please read from start to finish.

A “nearly average” young man (A) walks at around 4 m.p.h for 1 km. lets say 1000 strides.
He walks to work every day (1 km) and that is more or less the only exercise he gets.
He never plays sport or work out, he has an office job, and he is slightly over-weight.

The next person (B) is a VERY unfit lasy older person, sits down ALL day, a lazy bum, even sends other half to the shops to collect their fags and booze etc…sedentry. This person would probably average 2.5 - 3m.p.h for 1 km walk which would make them tired, if they was ever to attempt it.

Person A probably has the ability to jog for 80-100m, they are out of shape.

Person B probably does not even have the ability to run. No kidding, the fitness of an elderly person.

My reasoning that person A can cover a 100m faster than person B is becuase, there is SOME carry-over to sprinting/running, even from walking. (For very out of shape sedentry people.)

Now for the main bit;

Imagine person C;
He faces a long flight of steep stairs (at the beach cliff) which has 50 steps on it. They cover 2 steps per stride and take 25 strides to reach the top. He goe’s up that staircase 40 times (2000 steps) = 1000 strides = 500 left, 500 right. He does this allmost every day. He has developed the ability to where it is even comfortable. To top it off his name is “cool man” lol.

He would obviously win a 100m race against either of the other two.

Actually, he © might very well have sub-elite or even elite sprinting speed, just from that and some sit ups, push ups. = theTHEORY

His genetics are not crap but not sensational.

This is all a hypothetical scenario.

I’m expecting some people to tell me my theory is flawed.(Partly becuase it is unconventional.) I just don’t know why it is flawed.

Hence;

“Why is this theory a bad one?”

its extremly flawed. im not even really sure the point your trying to make. is it that climbing stairs will make you fast? how does going up stairs make you faster? im talking about physiologically. im hoping that your understanding of athletic training goes beyond applying a stress (no offense because i dont think you do) and expecting to sprint faster.

you should write a book on this new theory, its interesting and could make you millions.

I’m not certain that it would make me faster.
Surely he would be faster than people who do no training.

It is extreeme training.
There is a theory that when something is done lots of times, it carries over in to your sprinting (either negativley or posatively.)
Flo-Jo claimed 4000 sit ups a day. (what on earth she do that for? why is that no less “wack” than my idea?)
When you walk up steps (2 per stride) at speed,
your front foot starts to cock down at the front, and your lower leg developes a much more inclined angle than when you walk up slowly flat footed. And even less like “step ups”. Walking up quite fast starts
to make the hammies and glutes work in a mechanically efficient position.

Would it just turn you into a slow twitch potato that would only be good at walking stairs?
There is also the part about walking or even jogging back down the stairs. Would this not increase ability to absorb force and strengthen feet?
So why would it turn me into a slow twitch bum? I obviously don’t have as much knowladge as yourself.

I know its simple.
Maybe I could write it whilst walking up the stairs. I would probably have to put the book down before jogging back down the stairs though. Thoughts?

just jog back down the stairs with book. P.S. make sure you create a ebook version.

wow. ok i really dont even know where to start. i think i understand your line of thinking but just because flo jo did alot of abs work doesnt mean that that made her fast or contributed greatly to her being fast. you are right the person that did the stairs would be faster than the sedentary individual (in most cases) but that doesnt meant they are fast there is a huge huge difference between a sedentary individual and a sub elit, lte alone elite athlete. consider you average american would probably take 17 to 20 seconds to finish a 100, . so being faster than them doesnt mean shit really. you probably would be in very good shape but still thats far away from even being highschool fast. but also it depends cause there are the hershal walkers of the word that can fart and put on 5 lbs of pure muscle, drop their 40 by a tenth and increase their vert by 3 inches and they could do what you perscribe and be world class. but for the most of us to even approach that level of ability we must design and plan and train with knowledge of how our body responds to stimuli and how to achieve the desired adaptation.

i really really hope your being sarcastic.

He is, and no offence was taken. It’s just that my theory gave him a bit of a hard-on.

no im serious.

damn ur good, my gf said thank you.

Maybe I’ll let you wright the forward on page 2.
I’ll stick a picture of Asafa Powell on the front cover. And Ronnie Coleman. “Speed demons”.

What’s a gf?

dont forget to add dorian yates and shawn ray.

gf= girlfriend.

Man, I just worked that out and was about to re-edit my post, but you beat me to it.

You got a cool girl friend.

make sure to give thanks and credit to james colbert

James, thankyou for taking the time to explain to me the flaw in my propasition. I’m becoming “captain slow” lately.

what is going on, wtf is going on in this thread lol.

It’s gonne pear shaped. My theory came across a bit crap, I guess probably becuase it was, so it’s kind a turned into humour, maybe that’s the only place it could of gonne, after a while.

I know this thread has fallen apart, but I’m interested in James’ response to your question…

its extremly flawed. im not even really sure the point your trying to make. is it that climbing stairs will make you fast? how does going up stairs make you faster? im talking about physiologically. im hoping that your understanding of athletic training goes beyond applying a stress (no offense because i dont think you do) and expecting to sprint faster.
If you are comparing a person whe effectively does zero training (person A) to a person that does very little training (person B) to a very active person who does some serious stair/stadium running (person C), if all other factors are equal (age, genetics, experience, physical characteristics) of course C will be faster than B and B probably faster than A. That’s a no brainer.

I’m not sure what theory you were suggesting, but I’m baffled at James’ response. James, are you actually suggesting that if you take two sedentary individuals who are otherwise identical, then have one run a 1000 steps everyday while the other does nothing, that over time the individual running the steps everyday won’t improve his 100m time?

I am afraid I understand your negative rep points thing now: it actually reflects one’s potential for humor (Humor Reserve). Hence your status.
How can you be even willing to take this discussion seriously?
Come on!