White athletes should forget the 100m?

James,
although I was not specifically named your post was aimed at …those of you, and you know who you are dont believe that a white athlete can win 100m as I am one of those it was specifically aimed at me.

I could be offended by your continued personal attacks and have a public ongoing spat but will let it go and will make this my last post in response to them.

Regards
John

Are we missing the point, maybe it is the eye colour that determines speed over short distances. I read somewhere that blue eyed people are smarter, whats wrong with brown eyes being quicker.

Around these parts, people with red hair dominate (really).

I’ll admit my views may have been a bit dramatic but as the subforum says it was a Discussion Suggestion :wink: That said I was quite surprised at the answer I got when I was discussing this with someone yesterday.

I put forward my view, the conversation went

no, they would start doing long jump then short hurdles aiming to get to 400m hurdles. There are no decent sprinters from NZ so why bother?

Me: why not the flat 400?

you need to be black for that too

Me: what about Wariner

Who?

Me: Jermey Wariner

You will always get freaks… no, that is what X (14 year old who holds local records over 200m & 400m) is going to do we have already discussed it with him, that is the plan.

They weren’t being rude and it was a relaxed converstion but it was clear their mind was made up.

Ha, well you can’t push a 14 year old like that because he may have no more potential and would just be a waste of time. Story of so many people I know :rolleyes:

I just think as the distance increases (from 100 to 400) it becomes less about genetics and more about hard work. MJ was the best 400m runner because he was the hardest working man in track and field, the most focussed and confident. He intimidated lesser athletes so much just by being completely focussed on himself. Jeremy Wariner seems to be the same.

I have been hearing also that james dolphin is stepping up to make the 400 his main event? I wonder if it will be his best?

The answer is “no.” You never what genetic specimen God will throw out. White women are at the top of the 100 meter dash. For men it could happen at any time. If whites are being directed away from the sprints and towards distance when such a move is unjustified by their performance or physiology, then that is racist, i.e. “He’s white and couldn’t possibly run faster than blacks.”

We might as well ask if a Mexican or Asian will ever win the 100 meters. The answer is “Maybe.” Same with white athletes.

I dont really think so. Black people have been running sub 10 for nearly fourty years now. Since 1968. The worlds population has increased by around 3 billion since then and not one white genetic specimen has been able to run sub 10. Eventually it will happen and a white guy will run sub 10, but how much faster will the top black guys have become?

Good point though, I think it would be racist to steer a guy away from the 100m, just because he is white. If he wants it that bad and is performing well he should be able to try.

you seem like a numbers person. the numers arent in your favor so it wont happen, the numbers arent in your favor, dont waste your time. have you ever beat the odds. lol white is just a skin color. it doesnt mean that your slow. black is just a skin color it doent mean you are fast. you could have a white person with genetic traits similar or better than the best 100m runner in the world. if we played the numbers game no one should run track why? lets see there are about 700 million blacks in the world. and i dont know about 10 people to run under 10 sec (i dont kno for sure) that a 1 in 70 million chance of reaching elite status. lets all give up its useless. no way we can run that fast. just look at the numbers…

Beautiful.

Wariner is white but when ive been around him he acts like a black person so does that still count as him being white? LOL

Bro chill. Dont start saying stuff like ‘have you ever beat the odds’ this is a discussion. I have said in this thread that genetics come down to the individual not the race. White guys can be fast and should be encouraged to do the 100m if thats what they like.

Your point about not even running track if we ‘played the numbers game’ is kind of odd. 99% of those who run track do it because they enjoy it not because they want to win olympic gold. There is no ‘numbers game’ being played.

Well okay there are 0 whites out of a few billion who have not reached sub10/elite status, effectively a 0% chance, how do you like those numbers :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1. have you ever beat the odds?
  2. we are discussing elite performance, not recreation.
  3. a. there are a few billion whites? may wanna check that one.
    b.you didnt present anything counter to my argument actually you kinda supported my assertion that if the numbers arent there dont try (ofcourse i was being sarcastic but you usually have to be in situations like this)

Until Wariner, Whites had zero chance in the 400m. the only way there is zero chance is if there is zero effort.

1. Yes I have, relevance? 0
  2. Okay
  3. I have not looked up the exact figure but I would say there would be just below 2 billion people who are “white” or caucasian. Even though I was only joking, dont complain about my figures when there are no where near 700 million of west african descent. You can’t include all africans.

What kind of counter did you expect, you were just being sarcastic. I dont need to provide a counter because you have misinterpreted my posts. I have never said dont try, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAD.

west african i thought we said black but in that case about 120 million in nigeria, 80 million in brazil, 30 million in america. odds still are pretty bad. no friggin duh im being sarcastic, i even stated it. i never said you said dont try. what else are you gunna
WWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHTTTTT?

because we all know that its the kenyans who have the elite genetic traits for sprinting. :rolleyes:

im not going to ‘wright’ anything lmao.

Thats it - nothing to add.

All this race discussions are useless and must end in racism. What s a race first of all. It s nothing but statistical probabilities of properties of groups of individuals.
Anything can happen in any race.
Can Westafricans be good Javelin throwers, can Ethiopians be good sprinters, will any Chinese ever run sub 10, did a Kenyan ever run sub 10.40?
Where are the Brazilian sub 10 sprinters? What is Patrick Johnson really (half Aboriginee, half white) why is Mo Green so pale? My son is half European, half black Jamaican. How will he do, does he have slow white genes or fast Westafrican ones. If he should be fast one day. Which part of him is the fast part?

All completely useless questions.

It means to draw lines and make abtractions where they should not be made…try and see, just like Charlie said…

Though unfair in some respects… but the coach who is able to produce a 9.9 sec white man will inherit the earth and his understudy will inherit the riches of sport. Maybe athletics needs a white man to run 9.9 secs. I always have suspected that track has not been able to generate the kinds of income that Tennis has for its players because of the lack of success of white men in the blue riband event of Track and Field. The sad truth is that race still affects alot of things. Once a white man runs 9.9 secs and more can achieve it; the income in track will increase and so will the interest. I call this the “Eminem and Timberlake” effect. Don’t attack me because I speak the truth…

Of course it s the full truth. People always want to see their “own kind” be sucessful. That s why all my black friends love basketball and my white frinds don t give a damn who holds 100m WR. :wink:
And the money goes where the interest of the “wealhty” viewers go. No doubt.

AUT_71

Haha geezus I dont know where you live, but where I live everyone loves basketball and football at least and no one black or white gives a damn who holds the 100m record.