Which template would be better in your opinion?

I posted this in my training journal, but I’m not sure how many people pay attention to that, so I’ll post it here. Btw, I’m an 800m runner and I lack the speed I need to meet my goals.

Here are the templates I’m thinking about using for the next few weeks.

Monday: 7:45- Speed Work
8:30- Weights (Workout A)
PM
Tempo

Tuesday: AM- Tempo (Light)

PM
Basketball Game

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: 7:45- Speed Work
8:30- Weights (Workout B)
PM
Tempo/Open Gym

Friday: AM- Tempo

PM
Long Run/Tempo

Saturday: AM- Speed or Tempo

PM
Weights (Workout C)

Sunday: Rest

Or

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 7:45- Speed Work
8:30- Weights (Workout A)

PM
Basketball Game

Wednesday: Tempo

Thursday: 7:45- Speed Work
8:30- Weights (Workout B)
PM
Tempo/Open Gym

Friday: AM- Tempo

PM
Long Run/Tempo

Saturday: AM- Speed or Tempo

PM
Weights (Workout C)

Sunday: Tempo/Long Run

Workout A & B would be done at school in weights class but Workout C would be done at home. The workouts would look like:

Workout A: Hang Clean
Incline
Front Squat
Seated Rows
Split Squats

Workout B: Squat
Bench
Good Mornings
Pullups
DB Lunge

Workout C: Deadlifts
Rows
Split Squats
Military Press

The coaches might not let me do what I want in A & B, but hopefully they will.

Template 1- 2-3 Speed Days, 2-3 tempo days, 3 weight sessions, 2 rest days

Template 2- 2-3 Speed Days, 3-4 tempo days, 3 weight sessions, 1 rest day

So, feel free to tell me any suggestions or thoughts you have on either template and please let me know which one you think is my best choice.

Thanks

What is your 800m time and what is your goal ?

What are your splits for each lap of the 800m ?

You don`t do any steady state mileage runs. Most middle distance runners do them. Therefore, do you lack speed or the ability to sustain pace ?

My fastest time was 2:15, but the last 2 years (8th grade & Fresh.) before this season I had gotten hurt. So, this was basically my first season of track since 7th grade.

My goal by next May is around 2:00. A 1:55 won state, so that would be great, but I don’t think that’s realistic right now.

I’m not sure about my splits. The fastest I remember hearing is 64, but that wasn’t my 2:15.

I probably lack both, but I think doing speed and tempo work right now would be best for me because my fastest 400 is a 58.

Thanks for replying.

I assume it’s going to be pretty hot in Missouri this time of year, so why not put the Tempo’s and Long runs in the morning and the sprints in the afternoon? Your body might not like speed at 7:45 in the morning.

Looks like Tuesday nights are B-ball night; that’s CNS stressful with the sudden explosions and jumps, etc. Three speed days a week should do you, so why not call the ball game one of them and do your other two on Sunday and Thursday afternoons? This way you’ll be fresh for the hoops and recover adequately between the other two. Think of Friday and Saturday as recovery/tempo days.

Your 58 and 2:15 show more of a stamina weakness than a speed weakness. A 58s runner with reasonable stamina could be expected to run 2:08, running an average per lap of 6sec off their 400pr. But as you indicate, improving either will help your overall time.

The reason I put the speed work in the morning is because that’s the only time my legs would be fresh. During the week I have to go to weights class or else my coach will get mad. Weights is at 8:30 AM for me, so if I did tempo/long runs in the morning + weights I’m not sure if I could get a decent speed session in later.

The ballgames on Tuesday’s aren’t usually too bad because we bring between 8-10 guys and our coach tries to play everyone. Plus, we play two 20 min. halves with a running clock. Then on Wednesday I usually take the day off if Monday was CNS stressful, but I could switch and make Monday a rest day and do the weights on Tuesday morning.

Both my stamina and speed need work, but I think focus on getting my 400 in the low 50’s right now would be best for me.

So, Joel, do you like the 2nd template better? Thanks for the input.