What's better for BUILDING power, Jerks or power snatches?

Certainly the legs are doing the same movement over and over.

How do you step back from jerk. Front foot in first or back foot first. The one thing I have noticed when I split clean is that I alternate legs between sets.

I also don’t jerk enough to consider imbalance issues.

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that some exercises allow you to display power very efficiently. This doesn’t mean that they are any better than other exercises at developing power. In general all olympic mevements and their derivatives are related. Cleans and snatches are usually about 85% of each other. These 2 lifts are correlated with the ability to squat, etc. As long as speed/strength qualities are not decreasing and technique is not being neglected, all of the oly type movements will increase as leg, hip, and back strength goes up. They all will develop power, they just display it differently because of the nature of the movement.

I agree spin. You might be able to display more power for example if you span your arms around in circles (not tested just an example) but you wouldn’t build power in your arms that way.

So the comparisons are the second pull of a snatch or clean has around the same total output as a jerk. But the jerk has a lot more weight and has a eccentric effect to break the whole load.

The question is…Which would you think is better for INCREASING (not displaying) put output?

Lets say the definition for a power output to stop some confusion would be either a vertical jump or 40yard dash.

Mid thigh hang power snatch

or hip snatch

High power/velocity ouput due to the very short accleration phase and the requirement to move the bar over a greater distance
It was one of the prime exercises in the old DDR throwers list.

Fighting Indians
19:27 PST, 07/08/2000

I just came back from vacation and found the info by Dave Caster and Matt Byner (6/30/00) very good concerning the snatch. Having talked to Klaus Bartonietz a few years ago (93), he informed me that they, The East Germans, had documented studies using force plates, etc., that the HIP Snatch is the most explosive olympic lift. That is the placement of the bar right in the seam or bend of the hips and thighs, pulling it tight against the hips, and WITHOUT and cocking of the gun, (that is droping the bar to get a cheat start) but pulling the bar from that initial position. It is a very explosive move to get it up and over head. Very difficult when the weights get up in the 90% range and doing repeat sets of 2 to 3 reps. But it is critical not to “cock the gun.” Be sure pull it straight up from the initial position for the effective power source to get it up and over head.

MattByrnes
10:44 PST, 07/09/2000

Coach Dunn makes some very good observations about the German “Hip Snatch”. Some of the Bartonietz graphs show very high force generation from position where the bar leaves the level of the hips when doing a power snatch. This is also called the “number 5 position” in some texts.I have seen two variations of this:
1.The bar is started at hip level (a)from a ‘dead stop’ on a block, or (b)from a hang - more difficult to do in a strict manner.
2.The bar is started from the hip level, but the action is initiated by a quick bending of the knees (while the bar stays at hip level). This is similar to a vertical jump with the reversible muscle action. This variation will sometimes show up in jumping articles as an alternative to jump squats.
Both variations should likely be valuable to throwers (and jumpers) as they take significant acceleration of the bar to complete the lift (done in a strict straight line.) This is also helpful for young throwers and lifters as it simplifies the power snatch in an efficient manner and should be an excellent training addition.
Young athletes and ones with small hands may benefit from using straps as this lift will really challenge your grip strength.
Perhaps Coach Dunn has some more insights to share on this topic, from his experiences, and those of Dr. Bartonietz.
Matt Byrnes

Fighting Indians
19:44 PST, 07/10/2000

Yes the hip snatch is an easy lift by young throweers. I have no trouble with boys or girls learning it their frestman year and teach it in the first week that I have them. As you mentioned, the vertical jump is theway I teach it: (10) holding the bar in the hip, jump into the air as high as possible keeping the bar at the hip (2) jump into the air lifting the bar by lifting the elbows and the bar “flying” up as if doing an upright row (3) jummp into the air and drop under the bar to the snatch position. As per Bartonietz, I have them going into a split with the right leg back if they are right handers. They must keep the bar close to the body and lead with the elbos to prevent the reverse curl. I might add, that after a bad experience with an athlete, I do not use straps anymore. He had the bar over his head, lost his balance, but could not slip our of the strap and thus dislocated his shoulder and took a bad fall. Since then, staps are never used on any lift over the head.

Because of the time factor at the high school where I coach, we never spend time on cleans (they do that in football training) and I use only the hip snatch. Starting with a 5 rep warm-up at 60 to 70%, then go to about 10 to 15 sets of 2’s and 3’s, and then a few sets of 1’s at 95%. That would be the total workout, oh, except maybe three sets of jerks from the rack with a split as above (Bartonietz).

LOL - where it says [I’m dumb] - it should read c_o_c_k

Quick,

its up to you, when doing the split jerks. I usually just do it with just my right foot forward but i am training for the OL’s these days and I am strongest this way, my track days are gone. But by all means switch feet on each rep, i think that will help with lateral balance and coordination.

I think your right with alternating the split cleans and snatches, as you are in a much lower split position on these lifts and I thin some muslce imbalances may occur. I have found that if i didnt switch legs on these lifts that my hip flexors would get tight on on leg and very loose on the other leg and i would feel off kilter.