What does one should be thinking of when run

? How to not stumble and fall, catching/taking the lead over your opponents or something?

Run as fast as possible
Step over
Throw elbows down as fast as possible
Relax

In that order.

Nothing! When the gun go off the race be over!

Can you please explain
What do you mean by step over and throw elbows down???

Fast sprinting is an autonomous process. I find just about any self awareness or external awareness detracts from the performance. I can barely recall my best sprints: only little fragments of memories of sensations/feelings. Charlie’s CFTS has some great chapters on both the Psychology of the sprint and Technique: both of which are intimately linked.

You shouldn’t be thinking about your technique at all when you are actually racing; technique correction is for training.

‘Step over’; the foot of the recovering leg should pass over the knee of the support leg.

‘Throw elbows down’; the emphasis on arm action at top speed should be downward, throwing the hands downward toward the ground.

More like these thoughts cross my mind just to make sure everything is in check but I am not focusing or concentrating on them.

when you run fast u dont have time to think

/thread

Thanks for an explanation.
About step over you mean knee lift>?
PS It must hurts to stumble and fall down on your nose and scratch the asphalt

Thread re stepover

I spent a season thinking during my races. I was thinking things like “Drive hard! Elbows back! Get turnover!” things like that. I wound up running the slowest I’ve ever raced in my life. About two weeks after I stopped training I ran a race and just thought “GET TO THE FINISH LINE!” and wound up getting a PR.

That could be attributed to my periodization not being quite right, which may have had some effect. But I’m also very confident that it is possible to think too much during your race, to over-analyze, which leads to poor performance. I’d say that the thought should be something like “RUNRUNRUNRUN!” or “GET TO THE FINISH LINE!” if anything at all. If by the time you’re racing you have to think about what it is you’re doing, you’re gonna be slow. Thats just what I’ve experienced firsthand and have been told secondhand.

Umm… if you have the mental capacity to sub-vocalize technique commands during a race, then you’re spending too much energy on thinking. I usually have an emotion in my head (and rushing through my entire body), and if it were to be sub-vocalized it would sound like: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!! RUN FASTER OH-MYGOSHIMGONNALOOSERUNRUNRUNRUN!!LANEEIGHTWHYLANEEIGHTOHMYGODIMGONNALOSEIFIDONTSPRINTFASTERMYRELAYTEAMISGONNAKILLMEIFIDONTRUNFASTAAAAGHHHH!!

Then there’s usually a touch of pride thrown in there… but he’s gotten quieter over the years :frowning:

You dont really. Its a weird feeling actually, when good technique becomes “natural” after some training, its like everything is just happening and you are just spectating. Its as if you’re in a car but you’re not driving, its driving itself, its like you’re mind is detached from your body, argg, this is too hard to explain, its hard to accurately explain this feeling to you, when the time comes…you will know…

You could say that it feels like you’re almost a passive observer: aware of whats happening, but not daring to think about it or interfere with it. Let it happen. You can never make it happen. Relaxation - and the confidence to do this.

run fast and turn left! (if your running 200m or more!)

You hit the nail on the head man! :wink:

lmao always loved that saying.

athlete: how do I run the 200?
coach: run fast turn left

brilliant :smiley: :cool: