What Can We Learn from Usain Bolt's Victory

OK, we’re wasting our time.

It’s time to more specifically define what you are referring to as the mark that one must possess the ‘speed gene’ in order to attain; because while 10.43 is not fast compared to what the fastest are running it certainly requires a speed potential about the ‘mean’ in order to attain it.

Any of the following?

Sub 10.28 (Beijing B standard)
Sub 10.21 (Beijing A standard)
Sub 10.08 (US High school record)
Sub 9.92 (Collegiate record)

Or an arbitrary number (ergo sub 10.1, sub 10.0, sub 9.9, etcetera)?

10.4 usually ranks you top 200 in the world. I know this only because I trained with a guy who checked his world-ranking daily.

Its funny all these fast guys I know respect people who can break eleven…even if it’s only like 10.8-10.9.

You would think it would be the opposite that would be true.

go to any party in college and there are 10-12 guys that run sub 11 sec 100m; just ask around. :smiley:

The USA would do fine if more guys were out actually playing sport, instead of wearing out their fingers SIMULATING sport. The USA’s future is doomed from this fact alone. There are elite guys, but the feeder system TO that level is dying since our culture doesn’t support it. When you have 20 million guys trying to become great you end up with some great athletes. When you have 500k you don’t have as many. Maybe if someone creates an Obese Championship we can dominate.

When I was a kid it was all about running around. Now most kids can’t even hang for 10 seconds on a monkey bar, let alone make it across or PLAY up there for an hour. My daughter plays sport, but aside from the handful of kids that do this, the rest are in sorry @$$ shape.

Maybe in Jamaica the kids just spend more time on their feet running around. So there’s the grass roots (pun intended) training right there for their sprinting program.

John

All of these things would be beneficial for the sport of weightlifting as well (with the possible exception of longer limbs…DavidW?) but there weren’t any Jamaican medals there. The Chinese won 8 weightlifting golds!

That’s not true. Not only would their limb lengths be very disadvantageous, but their muscle/tendon ratios would be very poor as well. They have the right muscle fiber types, but with their structure it would be hard for sprinters to compete at a high level in any kind of weight lifting. Too long of legs, too long of tendons, and not enough muscle in the muscle bodies.

off-topic…

Hey tamfb is this you…? I was just looking at starts and I came upon this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uT28PQj0Zs

No, one of my athletes who played weak side LB for Texas state univ d1aa. Hey doc how many african americans won gold?

The video has now been made private. Can you unprivate it please.:mad:

No, because its a old video and should not be up. I had it up so we could look at his tech.

If it shouldn’t be up there, then why did you put it up there in the first place.

I mean 116 views and no ratings. Please put it back up there so we can rate it. If it is solely for his form then we can rate his form alone.

-Guy

Wow, so are you telling me how to run my youtube page, excuse me? I dont need you or anyone else to rate his form because he is no longer an athlete, he is in medical school.

Smallest linebacker I ever seen. Fine. :mad:

Not sure about that, sam mills was pretty small, hes 5’11 215. Also this guy was a football player and made plays. Ask cortesse what he did to his team. 5’11 215 isnt bad for d1aa weakside/rover backer.

If its not you then why block the video. You had it up there for a year then all of a sudden decide to take it down today.

Your right, I can do what I want with MY youtube page. If you were a member on elitetrack you could have charm in on the discussion about his tech yrs ago. I’m done with this off topic.

If you post the video I will post my cell phone number here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: No seriously I will.

Man tamfb, your on elitetrack, I never saw you on there, whats your name over there?

5’11 215, sounds like rb34, you coach him?

popequique said he didn’t remember you from elitefitness. And something about did you train rb34 there.

Im not a member there, but since popequique erased his post, ill post it for him.

So whats the story, why not just put the video back up.

While lifters of the past were on the stocky side many lifters are often taller an more lanky than the past.

Kolecki especially has a sprinteresque physique as do the Russians Konstantinov and Akkaev. Rybakou is built similarly. Mete Binay from Turkey looks like a soccer player.

Lu Yong from China has a very similar build to Mo Greene.

The trend in my opinion is slightly leaning toward taller than in the past lifters with more elasticity from my observation.

I’ve seen the lifters of whom you speak, but I would still wager their muscle/tendon ratios and leverages were much better (for weightlifting) than those of most top sprinters. At the end of the day, sprinting requires an extreme degree of elastic work while olympic lifting requires an extreme degree of slowly expressed strength. They are too far apart from one another for athletes of the same body types to be at the top of each.