volleyball training

i am trying to begin a program in the weights room for volleyball
i am thinking to discover which exercise could be good and which ones not good for my purposes.

i will begin with a GPP program in which i will care stability, balance, hypertrophy, and then i will pass to the strenght phase and later to the power and power endurance phase, without forgetting strenght training but reducing it a little bit.

so i was thinking to use exercises like incline bench presses, high row hammer strenght, push ups, inverted rows, rotator cuff movements, YTWL circuits, bridge push up with Stability Ball…push press , pull ups, deadlifts? (could it be counterproductive ?)
i want to bulk the right without impairing my performance during the play
Squats, split squats, bulgarian squats, overhead split squat, romanian deadlifts, leg curls…
Power cleans, Snatch, jump squats

i am also interested in plyometric training but i don’t want to be redundant and going towards injuries, for repeating what it is usually done a lot in the game…

i am a bit confused…
if there is any good soul who can help me… :confused:

Just make sure you don’t overdo it within each workout. The time you have available to train and the energy you have to train with will dictate a lot of how well your training will go. Try actually structuring those lifts into a workout and see how you do. I suggest breaking your workout into different phases [strength/power, strength-stability or stability-strength, endurance-strength or strength-endurance, core-work or structural work, prehabilitation, ESD or conditioning, etc.] and rotate these different phases in and out of your workouts as it’s appropriate to the days total volume/intensity demands.

For instance:

A1. Jump Squats

B1. Pull-Ups
B2. Incline Bench Press

C1. Bulgarian Split Squats
C2. Y-T-W-L
C3. Push-Ups

and

A1. Front Squats

B1. Inverted Rows
B2. Dumbbell Chest Press [Standard, Alternating-Arm, Alternating Load (i.e. 80 in one hand, 85 in the other), etc.]

C1. Romanian Deadlift
C2. Rotator Cuff / Scapulothoracic Work
C3. Dumbbell Single-Leg Calf Raise

Be very careful with too much rotator cuff stuff. They’ll be fried from all the hitting anyway. Try flushing your rotators out with tempo-like lower-intensity movements, the hitting will cover the high-intensity requirement.

Great porogram design. Now how old were these girls???

TNT

thanks a lot,
so you suggest to mostly workout with those exercises, organizing the various mesocycles according to them?

What is “ESD” ?

Energy System Development, conditioning specific to an energy system.

You can change the exercises from cycle to cycle as well. For instance, you can change the front squat to a deadlift, back squat, or hack squat, etc., and you can change the jump squats to power cleans, back squat w/bands or chains, explosive squat, etc. The same goes with the other exercises. I didn’t mention this before but avoid the plyometric work during season and when you do perform plyo-work, keep it to short cycles.

Prehabilitation work could also be performed separately, before, or after the workout (again, this depends on time available and commitment level to performing work possibly away from coaching; performing flexibility during this training would be a good idea also; and you could also stand to do some abdominal/trunk rotator/spinal erector work here as well [especially the thoracic extensors] ).

A1. Floor Bridge Variation (Single-Leg, Two-Leg, Two-Leg Raise Single-Leg Lowering, Marching, Cook Hip Lift, etc.)
A2. Side-Lying Hip Abduction [straight-leg or bent-leg, and also possibly hip ext. rot.]
A3. Hip Flexor Stretch from Lunge Position

B1. Wall Slide Stretch [performed with Swiss Ball - stretching the Pecs, Lats, and Internal Rotators]
B2. Isometric Prone Bridge
B3. Ankle Dorsiflexion [w/manual resistance or light tubing]

C1. IT-Band Stretch
C2. Hamstring/Erectors Stretch [Standing Hamstring Stretch]
C3. Seated Trunk Rotator Stretch

D1. Aerobic Flush [10-20 Minutes of light aerobic work]

This work could take anywhere from 15-30 minutes. Could also be done on off-days.

Sorry, I went kind’ve ballistic with this thread but my work is primarily with volleyball players [especially female, 15-18 years old on average] so you peaked my interest.

thx a lot i will let you know my feedbacks :slight_smile: i am really excited :slight_smile:
thanks again

i have a little doubt regarding the pull on the vertical plane… is it better to chose the pull up or the chin up (supinated grip)…this last seems more gentle with the rotator cuff

If you can’t get full range with one, then switch to the other.

thx.

i would like to stay in better condition for June, when i will have the most important games.

i was thinking to do something like this:

• prehab/stability (3 weeks)
  • structural (3 weeks/ 1 unloading week…i want to test my 1RM for the basic exercise for the following phase)
  • strength (5x5 method )/stability (3 weeks / 1 unloading week)
  • strength (6x2-4 method) /stability (3 weeks / 1 unloading week)
  • power / strength (3 weeks)
  • power, peaking (3 weeks)

Make sure you involve all forms of training at all times, just vary the volumes (i.e. cf’s vertical integration). This can get messy depending upon the number of training sessions you have available but remember, part-time athletes get part-time results (cf).

i have 3 times a week to workout with weights

i am thinking for example in the structural phase…so when i do hypertrophy i still should do some power and strenght mantainance movements?for example a couple of jump onto box or jump squat and 1 heavy single of squat before doing my regular 3 hypertrophic sets of squat?

similarly when i do a strength based program i should begin with some speed strength movement, before the strength training ? keeping 2/3 of the total volume of the session for the basic quality i am training in that period, right?

You’re on the right track.

greatt! thx :slight_smile:

i will begin next week the first phase of the program, but i am still a little bit confused on something i will do after… i refer to power workouts… considering the ball is light i could logically use explosive movements with low resistance and a ballistic form… on the other hand i thought that maybe if i should indulge too long on them i could have some joint problems due to the deceleration . what you think about working on power using 75-80%1RM. Do you think is better than using 55%1RM on upper body exercises, like incline bench presses or pull ups?

I will begin next week the first phase of the program, but i am still a little bit confused on something i will do after… i refer to power workouts… considering the ball is light weight i could logically use explosive movements with low resistance and a ballistic form.
Regarding incline press i thought that maybe if i should indulge too long on low weights i could have some joint problems due to the deceleration . what you think about working on power using 75-80%1RM. Do you think is better than using 55%1RM on upper body exercises, like that or pull ups?

Exercise selection will be your guiding light here. The push-press loads for power will be different than the incline bench presses loads.
Depending on exercise intensity (and technical difficulty, neural demand, active ROM, training age, etc.) the load necessary to develop power could very well be in either range.

However, optimal loading for power development will probably take place in the form of med. ball throws (med ball slams, overhead throws, camber tosses) for the time being. Until your strength levels increase (substantially) you may be spinning your wheels trying to develop real power in the absence of real strength.

For insight into training loads for power development (in a digestible format) see christian thibideaus modern strength newsletters. Here’s a link:

http://www.angelfire.com/ct3/modern-strength/