weight 80kg
Age 30

pbs:

100m:12.2
200m:24.2
400m: 51.1
800m:1.59

Goal: sub 50s 400m

Training: Will try to follow kitkats GPP and transition program. http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?21613-Kit-kats-400m-program

Reducing the volume abit. Since I come from a 800m background i might be able to handle quite much. Will see.

FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND CRITICIZE MY TRAINING
Thats how I can learn from my mistakes.

Training so far:

m:2x4x150m. 2 min jog rec. 21-24 sec. I think I ran abit too fast her.
t:5x35 sec hills. walk back rec. Tired after monday. Did monday too fast I now figuerd out. Quite hard to do the hills
w: Rest
T:5x200m @28-29. 2 min jog rec. Felt ok. Not that tired but could not really push hard for some reason.

So far so good! I might recommend doing 5x200 in 2 sets of 3 and 2 at 26 seconds with 2 min standing rest.

Thats a great idea. I think I will do that next cycle or 5x200m session.

Week 1.

m:2x4x150m. 2 min jog rec. 21-24 sec. I think I ran abit too fast her.
t:5x35 sec hills. walk back rec. Tired after monday. Did monday too fast I now figuerd out. Quite hard to do the hills
w: Rest
T:5x200m @28-29. 2 min jog rec. Felt ok. Not that tired but could not really push hard for some reason.

F: 25 easy jogging. The plan was long hills, but felt tired so I just did easy jog and stretching.
S: 4x1 min hills walk back rec. Very good session. Found a not so steep hill that was long and I could run it with good teqnicue. I think I did smart by taking Friday easy.
S: This will be a rest and recovery day.

Looking forward to week 2 of KKs GPP program.

This week I had runners go Thursday with 200s and tempo Friday, hills Sat.

I would recommend doing hill runs at the goal time (50 seconds). One set of 2 (with jog down recovery might be enough). T SLow had his runners do 1 set this and in their first 6 week GPP sessions.

Just to be clear since english is not my mother tongue; You say only 2x50 sec hills in total for that session?

KitKat’s hill sessions were designed to be run for the goal time. His hill the athlete would cover about 350m in that time. One set is sprint up, jog down, sprint up. 2 sets is can be tolerated, 3 sets will kill you. t-slow used 1 set, and most days with other reduced volume, and his athlete just tested a 300m in a near 1 sec PB after his 6 week block.

A hill workout I did included: 1x(4x25s) + 1x(2x25x). I was going for another 2 reps for the second set but I was tired beyond belief. Is this a good regimen to build conditioning in GPP? The hills look to be about 100m long. I did this faster than a tempo session but I was very relaxed on the hills. I plan to add more repetitions, increase density by jogging down (I walked down), and increase the time (25s onwards).

hill work for 110H? I wouldn’t do 25 sec hill sprints for 110H. Maybe for 200m, but then I think it falls in an area where the time isn’t specific for acceleration work, and it’s not long enough to elicit a lactate response.

For 110H/100m work, I’d follow (which I did last year with my hurdler), Charlie’s GPP hill template. I’d also consider advice of PJ and include 1 day of sled work at the same time, since hills will help lengthen stride and sled will increase frequency.

Another week of training finished.

m:Sprints ladder 350, 300, 250, 200, 150, 100, 60, 50, 40, 30 - slow walkback recoveries. I cut out the 40 and 30m. FeltI had enough. But still a good session for me.
t:20easy
w:Rest
t:2(300-150) Wow hard session. 300ms:43. 150:22-21. rec pause 40 sec. 20 min set rec. felt like a penguin on the 150s
f:20 easy
s:Rest
s:2x2x200m 2.30 min rep rec. 5 min set rec 27-28-27-27. Changed this one from 5x200m so that I go run at a faster pace.

Good weekof training.
i do all my training in jogging shoes, should I do some of them in spikes?

Nice week!! My athletes do GPP sessions in trainers. Spikes when we get to transition.

Good adjustment on the 200s. Id recommend staying there until you hit 26s, then maybe do a set of 2 and set of 3 until all 5 are at 26 etc.

Yes I had the same tough myself. So I will stick to that plan. Also feels good to run close to race pace. (last 200 of a 400m)
I hd to change the week abit from KKs original plan because the indoor stadium was closed. + Also I feel that the density of KKS hard sessions in the plan can be abit toomuch for me at the moment. Therefore I sometimes will have an extra recovery day, but I will still do the key sessions, but it will be over somewhat longer timespan. Sounds like an ok idea?

It sounds like you have done a great job modifying for yourself. It sounds smart to space the sessions over a longer time frame. I did it slightly differently and did only three quality sessions per week rather than four. I would always do a bike tempo day as well. This worked very well for me.

When it comes to spikes and my athletes, we slowly transition to wearing spikes. For example during the latter part of the first GPP, they may wear spikes for one or two sets of a workout…for example 300+ 4x60 (spikes), 250+ 3x60 (spikes), 200+ 2x60 (flats), 150+60 (flats) just to provide a bit of a gentler transition over time. The second time through GPP, we might cut one set as the runs get faster, and all sets would be done in spikes.

I wear these shoes mostly for faster work http://www.wiggle.com.au/new-balance-10v2-trail-shoes-aw13/?lang=au&curr=AUD&dest=27&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=au&kpid=5360571382

Not much padding - and i do most of mine on asphalt.
If legs are a big sore, i’ll use these - http://www.wiggle.com.au/adidas-adizero-feather-3-shoes-aw13/
or
http://www.wiggle.com.au/adidas-adizero-adios-boost-aw13/

Great shoes.

When on a track, i’ll wear a light pair of distance spikes for now - need to save up and buy some 100m specific shoes and 400m specific shoes for races.

Week 3 of my training:

m:20 min easy jog
t:warmup and 8x100m relaxed fast strides on turf grass. walk back rec
w:4x1 min hill runs. walk back rec. Felt tired that day. Loads of acid on the last part of last rep. Hard session
t:REST
f:3x3x300m 1.30 min rep rec. setrec. 7 min and 9 min. avg: 50 seconds. Felt very good in my legs and rest of body. historically this is a good average time for me.
s:40 min easy jog
s:300+4x60, 250+3x60, 200+2x60, & 150+1x60. 300m: 45 sec. 250m: 37 sec 200m .27 sec. 150m: 19 sec.
45 sec rec after the long intervall before the 60s. Then walkback rec between 60ms. Set rec 5 minutes.
Felt very good in my legs. Session was not too hard.

In summary a great week of training. Felt maybe abit too tired on that wednesday. Maybe need to to a slight change with the leadup to that session next cycle?
All times in jogging shoes/intervall shoes.
Feels like I am responding good to this training now. Just based on my feeling when I am running.

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of this session is? I dont understand.

300+60,50,40,30; 200+60,50,40,30; 150+60,50,40,30 (30sec rest between long rep and first short rep) Full set recovery.

It’s part of the Speed-power cycle of GPP where speed work is slowly introduced to prepare for the transition coming in a few weeks.

Thanks.

My season starts in the end of may and last til end of september.
Before may is no competition.

Should I do 2xgpp +1 transtion and then repeat (2xgpp+1transition)?
with that setup I will have finished the 2 cycles in april.

Yes I would recommend 2x GPP. Based on time trials you can then address your needs following that. To run sub 50, you need to be able to run 36 or faster in the 300. My 48.9 runner ran a 37.1 at the end of March. He ran 48.1 in the first week of May and was consistent 50 second runner throughout May.

I agree, 2 x GPP is a good move, and is recommended by KK. You can follow up with a transition phase, and then see where you are at. It sounds like you will have quite a bit of time before your competitions in May, so like ESTI said, time trial and see what is needed. With my guys, we have done 2x GPP, Transition, then some speed work as seen in the CF short to long 400 program weeks 9 to 12 before transitioning into racing. I believe this is in the Vancouver download.