Vicente's Journal

Wednesday 4/7/04

Track–Dflex-20m
Form Drills 5x30m fast (1min)
6x30m block starts (5min) 3.41 NEW PERSONAL BEST
2x150m standing starts (10min) 15.72, 15.85 NEW PERSONAL BEST

Lifting-- Lifting-Prehab 2x5-5lbs (1min)
Bench Press @87% 4x3 reps-135x5-225x5-275x4 sets of 3 reps (5min)
DB snatch 2x10 45lbs (3min)
DB Push Jerk 4x4 80lbs (3min)
3 x Medball circuit with 12lb medball -Medball vertical jump throwsx10
Chest passx10
Side throwsx20
Plyo Pushupx5
Alt. shoulder raise DB drop 8lbsx 10
DB row drop 8lbsx10
Medball Twistsx40
Lying Oppositesx20
Cool Down/Stretch

Extra-EMS 10x10 sec contractions for quads/groin & Hamstrings (50sec)

The fever that I had today really seemed to help during my track workout. I felt so powerful and explosive during all of my starts and 150s. I only had my last 30m start timed because I usually run my slowest time during the last start. Today I just focused on making each start better technically than the last, but not overthink things too much. I did not expect to run a personal best… but it was technically my best start. I was only able to run two 150s today because of school work but I made sure they were quality. I ran very smooth on my first 150 and my jaw was bouncing up and down on its own. The second 150 was harder and my speed seemed to drop off around 130m but over time, my body will adapt. Also, on the second 150, I was running so hard that I completely ripped out one of my spikes which made a big hole in my Nike Zooms. The lifting workout was the same as last week, I just focused on being more explosive. Overall, I was happy with todays workout and achieved every goal that I had set out to achieve. I was very hungry on the track today for victory. I’m fully prepared to struggle some more…

Side note: Clemson, thank you very much for your suggestions. My shoulders and arms are moving much more freely now. I weigh 180lbs now and hoping to keep it that way.

hey all i can tell u honestly is congratulations on all ur pbs. they are all absoulte quality and it means that u have improved both ur explosive power (30m) acceleration(80m) and speed endurance(150m) if i were u id celebrate. hopefully a new pb in the 100 very soon. congratulations again!

Thank you!

Vincente,

Stop by my track on Saturday for block work and flying 30s…no charge except my coffee after training.

Vincente,

Do you race soon? Your training looks very good!

Thursday 4/8/04

Track–Dflex-20m
Form Drills 5x30m slow
Tempo–9x200m @29 sec (3min)

*20 abdominal exercises of various types, before and after each run.

The workout today was tough at times. I missed two meals yesterday and I definently need to make sure I am getting all of my nutrients. I felt as though my phosphagen stores were completely depleted, which would make sense after yesterdays hard workout. I really focused on keeping my arms open, relaxed, and loose when I started feeling tired. There are a few more technical things that I need to improve upon and put into place before things come completely together. Tomorrow will be another tempo day and then Saturday will hopefully be another break through.

Chris30, my first outdoor meet will be in 8 days if everything goes as planned.
Thanks for the compliments!

Sunday 4/11/04

Track–Dflex-20m
Form Drills 5x30m slow
Tempo–9x200m @27 sec (3min)

I decided not to do my regular workout of starts and 150s on Saturday because my muscle tone still felt too high. I think it was because of pushing myself further than usual during the early part of the week. I did not expect to get so many personal bests. On Saturday I ended up doing EMS instead. EMS-10x10 sec contractions (50sec recovery)

The workout for today went great and I was really able to concentrate and run smooth without any distractions. My arms and shoulders were doing exactly what they should be doing and I have noticed that my stride is much more effecient. Tomorrow’s workout will bring some more fast times.

hey vincente, what exactly is EMS and how do u perform ur form drills. cheers

Komy,
EMS stands for Electrical Muscle Stimulation. There should be plenty of information on this site about its use. My form drills are just your basic, A-skips, B-skips, Carioke, High knees, and butt kicks. The main emphasis is on posture and technique.

Monday 4/12/04

Track–Dflex-20m
2xflying 30m-2.50, 2.41 (5min)
4x10m practice starts (walkback)
4x60m block starts (5min) 30m acceleration+30m maintain
2x80m standing starts-8.43, 8.43 NEW PB (10min)

Lifting-Stiff leg deadlifts explosive-135x10-2 sets of 225lbs for 10 reps (1min)
High Pulls @87% of max (360)-225x5-2 sets of 315lbs for 3 reps (2min)
Glute Ham raise with medbal toss-2x10 with 12lb medball (1min)
Stepups onto bench-185lbs for 2 sets of 4 reps (2min)
1 leg DB squat explosive-95lbs for 2 sets of 3 reps (2min)
Medball twists 1x40 with 12lb medball
Lying opposites 1x20 reps
Cool down/stretch for 20 min

Extra-EMS (Quads, Groin, Hamstrings) 10x10sec contractions with 50 seconds recovery.

The workout today was…interesting. I was somewhat nervous about how my workout would go because my muscle tone still felt too high in small areas within my legs. I hoped that I would not have to change anything and back off too much. My training partner and I are unloading this week in preperation for our meet this Saturday. This means that the volume of lifting and running decreases but the intensity increases. I decided to do my flying 30m first after talking to Clemson and realizing that the short sprints that I had been doing before affected my flying 30 times. I ended up running much faster flying 30s because of the change. The starts felt good and I feel much more comfortable accelerating hard for 30m and then maintaining for 30m more. My 80m runs were very smooth and I focused on really driving my arms down and holding my technique till the very end. I was not consciously thinking of stepping over but it seemed to happen on its own. The 10 minute recovery was brutal because I could not wait to get back on the starting line and try to break 8.40 for my last 80m. I ended up running the same exact time as the first one which is very strange, but indicated that I am at my overall max right now at this stage of my training. My training partner dramactically improved his personal best for 80m (9.25-8.90) and pushed himself as well. I am very proud at how well our running technique is becoming more and more refined. The times were the least important thing to be happy about. Being able to hold the proper sprint position for 50m made my day…

*Side note: Clemson, thank you again for your help!

Looking forward to hearing meet results!!

Good luck!

Chris

Vincente…

local or specific tightness is a danger…if the entire tissue is tight that is one thing…but a local tight spot must be take care of.

I think the step ups may be fine for a unloading week but near comps should be more dual lifts…read my article some nerve on www.elitefts.com as a reminder. Good to hear the PBs. I remember Charlie talking about using various distances to vary the stimuli and to keep improvement…I guess he was right!

Vincente, that is blazin! Good luck this year, you’re on your way! In regards to muscle tone, do you check this by yourself or do you have someone else do it for you? I would think it would be hard to check muscle tone on your own body, particularly the hamstrings?

Tuesday 4/13/04

Dlfex-20m
Form drills 5x30m (slow)
Tempo–
100+100+200,
100+100+200,
100+100+200,
100+100+200
100+100

*The 200s were run in low to high 27 seconds.
*20 crunches of varying types are done before and after each run

I just focused on maintaing technique throughout each and every run.

Side note: Prophet, I check my muscle tone by myself. Its very easy to tell how high or low my tone is. Most of the time I can tell within 2 hours of waking.

Wednesday 4/14/04

Track–Dflex-20m

Lifting-- Lifting-Prehab 2x5-5lbs (1min)
Bench Press @87%-135x5-225x5-275x1 set of 3 reps (5min)
DB snatch 1x10 45lbs (3min)
DB Push Jerk 1x4 80lbs (3min)
1 x Medball circuit with 12lb medball -Medball vertical jump throwsx10
Chest passx10
Side throwsx20
Plyo Pushupx5
Alt. shoulder raise DB drop 8lbsx 10
DB row drop 8lbsx10
Medball Twistsx40
Lying Oppositesx20
Cool Down/Stretch

Tough workout today. I was tired and somewhat dizzy because of two meals that I missed. College life and regular work has become very busy. I’m just happy to be running…

Thursday 4/15/04

Track–Dflex-20m
Form Drills 5x30m slow
Tempo–5x200m @27 sec (3min)
Stretch-30 minutes worth throughout the day.

The workout today was great! Tomorrow, I just plan on riding the bike for 20 minutes at a low intensity and lowering my muscle tone a bit more. I’ll get a good stretch and stay consistent with my meals and water. I am ready…

Saturday 4/17/04

My partner and I ran in our first outdoor meet today in the 100m dash. The weather was warm (74 degrees) but as fate would have it, the wind was not on our side. I ended up winning the 100 meter dash fairly easily and shut down a little too early. But with the wind it did not make much of a difference.

100m dash-1st place 11.34 (very windy).

Warmup-Dflex-20m
2x10m reaction drills (2min)
2x30m flys @85% (5min)
1x80m standing start @85%
Race

The race went very well, I got out easily ahead of everyone else and because I knew we were running into such a heavy wind, I stayed down a little longer than normal. I came out of my drive phase around 50m and then slowly brought my torso up and hips under me. I held my form around 80m and then shutdown. Overall, it was a fun race and I was able to complete my goal of being the most relaxed person there, and holding the proper sprint technique throughout the race.

-8.2 m/s wind!??!!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow. That’s insane wind!

The conversion gives 10.47 (assuming an altitude of 0), sounds accurate to around what you think you’re capable of running at the moment?

Sorry for the mistake for those of you who follow my training journal. It was very very windy,which dramatically affected my stride length and rate. If only it would have been behind me… :cool:

-6.7 gives 10.67 in the calculator. Wow , what a hurricane. Funny thing is that I’d like to run into such a beast some day, I like variety :smiley: