Vicente's Journal

Monday 4/17/04

Track–Dflex-20m
Form Drills 5x30m fast (1min)
4x10m practice starts (walkback)
4x60m block starts (5min) 30m acceleration+30m maintain
4x60m flying with 30m run up (5min)
2x80m standing starts

Lifting-Stiff leg deadlifts explosive-135x10-2 sets of 225lbs for 10 reps (1min)
High Pulls @95% of max-3 sets of 365x2 reps (5min)

Cool down/stretch for 20 min

Extra-EMS (Quads, Groin, Hamstrings) 10x10sec contractions with 50 seconds recovery.

The workout today went excellent. My muscle tone felt so relaxed and my hip and shoulders were both very loose. We ran everything into the wind today so nothing was timed and just really concentrated on running fluid and letting my power do the job. I was able to get a breakthrough during two of my flying 60’s and my last 80m standing start by running much smoother than I have ever run. My technique is really beginning to come together. The lifting workout was very short because I only had 30min to workout so I made sure everything was quality. I was able to perform my highpulls for 3sets of 2 with more than my personal best!!. I’m going to keep grinding…until I break through.

Tuesday 4/20/04

Track–Dflex-20m
Form Drills 5x30m slow
Tempo–9x200m @27 sec (3min)

*20 abdominal exercises of various types, before and after each run.

Easy workout.

Wednesday 4/21/04

Track–Dflex-20m
4x10m practice starts (walk back)
4x30m block starts (5min) 3.90, 3.78, 3.81, 3.81
1x150m standing start (10min) 16.03

Lifting–Inseason
Stiff Leg deadlifts explosive 1x135lbs-225lbs for 2 sets of 10 reps (1min)
High Pull@ 85% (375) 225lbsx5-320lbs for 2 sets of 3 reps (5min)
Prehab 2x15reps with 5lbs
Bench Press@ 85% (315lbs)-135lbs-225lbsx5-275lbs for 2sets of 3 reps (5min)
Glute ham raise with medball toss-2x10reps with 12lbs medball
1leg DB squat explosive-45lbsx5-70lbs for 2 sets of 3 reps
Medball Twists explosive-2x40 reps with 12lbs medball
Lying Twists-2x40reps

The workout for today was pure quality. Everything was run into the wind. I am running in the 4x100 and 4x200 at Penn Relays on Saturday and wanted to get in a good solid workout. My muscle tone feels great, my technique is coming along exceptionally well, and my power has increased significantly. As of now, the training is all about refinement and putting the final touches on speed endurance and special endurance. By running the 4x100 and 4x200, these two races will serve as a good workout, especially for the 4x200. I have been really focused on opening my outdoor season in the 200 with a 21.30 or under and by running the 4x200, it will help me get a good race under my belt. Good luck to everyone competing this weekend!

Thursday 4/22/04

Pool workout-Tempo
Form drills 10x30m slow (1min)
10 laps swimming
Stretch x 15min

Very easy. Just working on relaxing, being smooth, and technique.

hey gluck with the relays vincente. and about ur workouts in the gym will there be a point where u will actually let go of the weights when its time for ur big meets, or would u just keep it goin all the way
cheers

Saturday 4/24/04

Just got back from running on my teams 4x100 relay team. I was the anchor leg and despite not having two of our better runners (10.30, and another runner who runs 10.82), we still had run and ended up in 5th place in our heat. The first two legs of our 4x100 had to be replaced and both runners were mid 11 second 100 meter runners. By the time I got the baton, we were very far behind but I just gave it all that I had and tried chasing down the final legs of the other relay team. We ended up running a 42.63. I was able to warmup with Bernard Williams and hang out with a lot of great sprinters. Here was what I did.

Warmup-Dflex–5x2x20m
Form Drills 5x30m slow
Strides 5x50m @50%
Strides 3x50m @75%
Handoffs 3x30m @95%
Race-anchor leg of 4x100

Side note* My team and I were fortunate enough to be able to warmup and set up camp in the penn that the Olympic athletes were in. I was sitting right next to most of them. Here are some things that I noticed or picked up.

-I was able to hang out with John Drummond for a little while and it is official that he is no longer with HSI. John is doing most of his training away from HSI headquarters and his new coach is the Daryl Smith who is the nephew of John Smith.

-I was able to warmup with Bernard Williams and he was a really nice guy. He really took the time to listen to what others had to say and engaged in conversation. Many people have told me that I run similar to Bernard and it was nice to actually see this for myself.

-Darvis Patton is much leaner than I thought he would be. Terrence Tremell is also very skinny but his height makes it look worse.

-Marion Jones was probably one of the strongest sprinters out there (male or female) I could not believe her grip and the musculature in her legs.

-Shawn Crawford does not weigh 180lbs. I spoke to him face to face and I weigh 181lbs and Shawn had at least 15-20lbs on me. His shoulders and his legs were bigger than any other sprinter out there. He weighs much closer to 200lbs.

-Justin Gatlin spoke to me about training specifically what needs to be done in the weight room, but there was so many woman walking around that our conversation made no real sense. I’m looking past Justin at this girl in very tight jeans and at the same time, Justins looking past me at some girl in a light blue dress. It was very funny.

-I was also able to meet Unisan Bolt and was shocked and how big he actually is. His musculature is that of an adult male. People were saying that he is skinny but in fact he has very dense muscle. He ran well on the 4x400 and made a great move the last 100m but you could see that he was very tight. I think it will be sometime before he can really be himself and run fast against the more experienced sprinters. When I spoke to him after his race, he was completely out of it.

-Nike had set up training devices outside the stadium and you could get your reaction time, block pressure, and sprint times over various distances. I was able to run 40m in 5.09 FAT. Can anyone give me a reference as to what this might translate into the 100?

-Chaz, good job on your relay and in the open 100. You almost got Drummond. I hope that some of the things I said to you helped.

-Overall the meet was great. Watching J.J. Johnson tear up the last leg of the 4x100 relay was incredible. I had a lot of fun and met some great athletes. I really felt like I fit in. I can’t wait to be running against some of those same people! Soon…

Damn, that is so cool. :slight_smile:

What was your 4*1 time?

Thanks! Great insider account.

40m. is too little to say much about you 100m. time, as one can’t deduce your top speed. With a 40 and 60 we could deduce a time supposing x level of speed endurance, but that won’t be completely accurate either, just an estimate.

Assuming a top speed of .88s/10m. (top speed of a 10.50 guy with average acceleration, top speed and endurance for that level) and average endurance, you probably went through 30m. in 4.19-4.22 FAT, 60 would be reached in 6.85-6.90 … 100 in 10.5x … though from 60 to 100 anything can happen depending on your endurance. Very poor endurance/slow finish for whatever reason would end up with a time above 10.60 good endurance under 10.50. This all of course is statistical mumble jumble!

[QUOTE=Vincente]Saturday 4/24/04

-Justin Gatlin spoke to me about training specifically what needs to be done in the weight room, but there was so many woman walking around that our conversation made no real sense. I’m looking past Justin at this girl in very tight jeans and at the same time, Justins looking past me at some girl in a light blue dress. It was very funny.

QUOTE]

MAn I havent been to the relays in years. I know it was a lot of scattered ass out there, a hoasis. That is one big reason that I love track.

Monday 4/26/04

Track-Dflex-5x20m
5x50m strides @ 65% (walkback)

Lifting-Stiff Leg Dead Lifts explosive-135lbsx10-225lbsx10 (1min)
High Pull @95%-225lbsx5-315lbsx3-365 for 3 sets of 2 reps (5min)
Prehab-1x5 with 5 lbs
Bench Press @95% 135lbsx5-225lbsx5-255lbsx1-285 for 2 sets of 3 (5min)
Glute ham Raise with medball toss-2x5 with 12lb medball (1min)
Leg Press-135lbsx5-225lbsx5-355x3-495lbs for 2 sets of 3 reps (3min)
Medball twists-2x40 with 12lb medball
Lying twists-2x20
Cool Down/Stretch

It rained all day today so I was not able to do my regular workout. I still could not wait to get out on the track and work on some of the technical things that Bernard Williams showed me so I went ahead and did some drill and strides in the rain. My technique is getting better everyday and I feel confident and comfortable with how I am moving on the track. The lifting workout was good. Everything was done with the intent to move the weight as explosively as possible and I accomplished that goal. Since I am inseason my training changes so that I am doing a heavy specific full body workout on Monday and a light (60% of max) explosive workout on Wednesday which is closer to my meets. I can’t wait for my next speed workout and achieving more of my goals.

150m - 16.03 !!!
Your 150m speed is better than 100m speed ?

16 sounds like a reasonable time considering his current 100 times (mid 10’s), I see nothing weird. In fact his endurance probably could be worked on, he could run 15.5 manual with great endurance.

Vincente, just curious
what is your age and do you train for how long ?

Please take the time to read through my training journal more carefully. I was able to run a 15.72 about two weeks ago. The 16.03 was run into the wind along with the rest of that days workout. I was preventing myself from running too fast before my race at Penn Relays. My 100m time at my first meet is suspect because of the amount head wind we were running into. If you are interested, check out the times that I will run for tomorrow’s speed workout.

Vincente,

how you timing your runs? Sorry if this has been stated previously.

Thanks.

Aln, i’m hoping to run under 15.5 within the next 4 speed workouts (2weeks). As you will see my training is shifting to more speed endurance.

Tuesday 4/27/04

Track-Tempo Pool Workout
Jogging in neck deep water for 5min
Form Drills 10x30m
Jogging in deep water 6x27sec (3min recovery)
Form Drills 5x30m
Stretch

I wanted to do something different for today’s tempo workout. I have learned so many technical elements which have really helped me perform better and I felt that by performing my drills in the pool, my technique can only improve.

Wednesday 4/28/04

Track-Dflex-5x20m
Ankling 4x20m Fast (1min)
Form Drills 5x30m Fast (1min)
4x10m practice starts (walkback)
4x30m starts (5min) 3.81, 3.78, 3.53, 3.75
2x150m standing starts (10min) 15.21, 15.63 NEW PERSONAL BESTS

Lifting-Stiff leg Dead lifts explosive-Barx10-135lbs for 2 sets of 10reps (1min)
DB Push Jerk@60%-50lbs for 4 sets of 6 reps (2min)
Prehab 1x20 with 5lbs
DB Bench@60%-60lbs for 4 sets of 6 reps (2min)
Glute Ham raise with Medball toss-2x10 with 12lb medball (1min)
1leg DB squats@60%-60lbs for 4 sets of 6 reps (2min)
DB row explosive-45lbs for 2 sets of 10 reps (1min)
Medball Twists-1x40 with 12lb medball
Lying Opposites 1x20
Cool Down/Stretch

*Extra: EMS 10x10sec contractions with 50sec rest for Glutes, Hams, Quads, and Groin.

After running at Penn Relays and learning a few things from some great sprinters, I was completly ready for a break through today. I was fortunate enough to warm up with some of the elite sprinters and while I was warming up with them, I was able to tap into something great within myself. I was so happy to see that I did almost the same exact warmup as Bernard Williams and Justin Gatlin, during my own workouts. While I did strides with Bernard, it seemed like everything just came together technically and running with these people brought out the best in me. My starts today were far from great but my technique allowed me to really put myself into great body position 15 meters down the track. The 3.53 30m start was the slowest reaction that I had but my pickup after the first three steps was surprising. The first 150 I did was very aggressive. When I came off the turn, it felt as though I was running down hill and each leg stepped over nicely. On Saturday, (my next speed workout) I will be adding a 250m standing start to my workout. The 250m run should really force me to focus on my technique at the end of my run. I am now focusing on refining my technique even more so that I can run a 14 sec 150m. I am almost there…i’m pushing…lets see what the big man upstairs plans for me!!

*Next meet two weeks Albany Invite.

“Always have goals. Always keep them to yourself-unless forced to say something-then state your goal as being the minimum performance you can reasonably expect.”
Charlie Francis