Vicente's Journal

workouts look great you are very strong :slight_smile:

When is your first meet? What are your PBs and what events do you concentrate in?

Cheers,
Chris

My first meet is in three weeks. My PBs are 55-6.43, 200 (indoor) 21.90, 100-10.51, 200-21.50. I am focusing on the 100 & 200 and may run one or two 400.

Vincente,

where do you do your tempo - track/grass?

9 x 200m at 27 is ~80% work and is nearly pushing into Intensive Tempo territory (definately so if on grass).

Good thread btw - enjoying it :slight_smile:

Anytime that I do 200s for tempo, I do them on the track. If I have to do 100s then I do them on the grass. Thanks.

letā€™s work on starts ASAPā€¦email me.

Please check your private message. Thanks.

Wednesday 3/31/04

Trackā€“4xalternating squat jumps with 5 parallel bounces in btw each (5min)
20min bike

Lifting-Prehab 2x5-5lbs (1min)
Bench Press @87% 4x3 reps-135x5-225x5-275x4 sets of 3 reps (5min)
DB snatch 2x10 45lbs (3min)
DB Push Jerk 4x4 80lbs (3min)
3 x Medball circuit with 12lb medball -Medball vertical jump throwsx10
Chest passx10
Side throwsx20
Plyo Pushupx5
Alt. shoulder raise DB drop 8lbsx 10
DB row drop 8lbsx10
Medball Twistsx40
Lying Oppositesx20
Cool Down/Stretch

Extra-EMS 10x10 sec contractions for quads/groin & Hamstrings (50sec)

The weather today was terrible. It was constantly raining and very cold out. It was the kind of day where you know that the odds of getting hurt would be very high even if doing tempo. I normally would be doing 6x30m starts on the track along with 3x150m. I really wanted to run today because of how everything has been going. My goals were to run at least two of the 150s under 16 and run the last one under 16.30 but the weather was too bad. I modified the workout by doing some very intense plyometrics, while using the same recovery that I would use for my track workout. It was a lot of fun to perform the plyometrics and fly!! The lifting workout went very well and I was able to focus on being very explosive in my upper body. I kept the bench press in my program because I did not want to lose the balance of strength that I have between my upper and lower body. I used 87% of my current bench press max of 315lbs, which is 275lbs. The plyometric pushups were done very powerfully and I could not help but remember seeing my brother do them while turning 180 degrees! Overall, I was somewhat disappointed with not being able to run today but it may very well be a blessing in disquise. I cannot wait until Saturday when I will be able to make up todays track workout. More powerā€¦more powerā€¦more.

Thursday 4/1/04

Tuesday 3/30/04

Trackā€“Dflex-20m
Form Drills 5x30m slow
Tempoā€“9x200m @27 sec (3min)

*20 abdominal exercises of various types, before and after each run.

The rain will not go away! It is supposed to rain here in Mass. until Monday! I was very surprised upon waking this morning and not feeling sore from the EMS that I did last night. Its been a little while since I have done EMS but now is the perfect time to start. The tempo workout that I did today was so easy. I was able to really relax my shoulders and execute the technical components that I have been working on for the past couple of weeks. It was not hard to run all of the 200s within the 27 second range. I incorporated some basic shoulder stretches and movements in order to loosen and warmup the muscles that I used during yesterdays lifting workout. My diet has been very good and I feel as though I have been able to get all of the nutrients that I need despite the tendency that I have to under eat (school+work). Tomorrow I plan on doing some very light bike work and moderate stretching for a half an hour. Hopefully the rain will slow down a bit so I can get Saturdays workout in. Iā€™m really looking forward to running under 3.47 (my pb) for my 30m block starts and running under 16sec for two of my three 150s. If the weathers good, those times will come.

say vincente, u always on about ur diet and how it takes care of things :slight_smile: how exactly is ur diet? is it a protein diet like greeneā€™s or more like the carbohydrate diet

Thanks for the reply! Do you use spikes or flats for the tempo work?

Its just your program is, well, very Charlie Francis! What is the logic of the deviation from Charlieā€™s reccomendations for Tempo Runs on grass? Body holding up ok to the volume of work on track?

Komy,
I eat more PRO than CHO but the differences are not that dramatic. I make sure that each meal that I eat is balanced and eat several small meals throughout the day. I try to keep things simple and consistent.

Athlete 400m,
I always run my tempo workouts in regular running shoes to avoid shin splints or stress fractures from running with spikes on. My training times for the 200s are not based off of my 200 best last year. My recovery is almost never a problem and any time that it is, there is always the opportunity to do tempo in the pool. If there were a way to run 200s on an even grass surface, I would. Thanks.

Friday 4/2/04

Track workoutā€“Bike for 10min
Jump rope for 10 min
Stretch for 15 min. (In the morning)
15 min. (In the afternoon)
15 min. (In the evening)

The weather was somewhat better today without the rain but it was still very cold. I wanted to let my legs rest a little from all of the running and decided to ride the bike and jump rope on a soft surface. I really focused on stretching my shoulders, hamstring, quads, calves, and hip flexors. The weather tomorrow will be like today, which is good because there wonā€™t be any rain but still cold. The college that I attend is having a home meet tomorrow so I may not be able to use the track until later in the day. I still plan on doing my regular workout even if it is somewhat cold, I will just have to run the 150s slower than usual and just focus on being smooth, while executing my technique. I will also use the EMS. I always look forward to my next practice with such eagerness because I know that I am making myself better. Good luck to everyone who is running this weekend.

What do you mean by drop? Do you mean dropping the DB instead of doing the eccentric?

It involves dropping a very light dumbell and catching it, while performing the specific exercise. The emphasis is on performing the concentric portion of the lift faster then the time it takes to drop and catch the dumbell.

Sounds interesting. Thanks.

The hyperspecific drops should be dropedā€¦use variables in training to create nanoadapations instead of low power/strength exercises.

If grass is not availble (at my HS we are not allowed to run on the grass this year) then other means might be better then tracks (read the bible for this one [speed trap] )

Pool workouts should use the zura floats for pushing and extension instead deep water running with knee lifts. Psoas tightness is too dangerous.

I am using bodyweight workouts with spectrum ROM work to get the pulse and manytimes use the bodyblades for the low intensity work. Tubing and mult joint medball work helps here.

Monday 4/5/04

Trackā€“Dflex-20m
Form Drills 5x30m fast (1min)
4x10m practice starts (walkback)
4x60m block starts (5min) 30m acceleration+30m maintain
4xflying 30m-2.93, 2.71, 2.81, 2.78 (5min)
2x80m standing starts-8.58, 8.47 NEW PB (10min)

Lifting-Stiff leg deadlifts explosive-135x10-2 sets of 225lbs for 10 reps (1min)
High Pulls @87% of max (360)-225x5-4 sets of 315lbs for 3 reps (2min)
Glute Ham raise with medbal toss-2x10 with 12lb medball (1min)
Stepups onto bench-185lbs for 4 sets of 4 reps (2min)
1 leg DB squat explosive-95lbs for 4 sets of 3 reps (2min)
Medball twists 2x40 with 12lb medball
Lying opposites 2x20 reps
Cool down/stretch for 20 min

Extra-EMS (Quads, Groin, Hamstrings) 10x10sec contractions with 50 seconds recovery.

The workout today went great despite being sick for the last three days. It didnā€™t help me running in todays weather. It was very very cold. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday greeted me with a lot of sleep. Iā€™m sure that I needed it and it really showed me how overworked I am with school, training, and working two jobs. I was really amped for todays workout because I was able to see my brother run the 100 and throw the javelin for the first time in his athletic career on Saturday. Good job Chris! Also, one of the athletes that I am helping opened his outdoor season with a 10.62. Good job Chaz! I was happy with my mental mind set during todays workout. I feel as though I really liberated myself from analyzing things too much. Its been hard coaching myself and I often find myself being too critical and trying to correct too many things while iā€™m actually running. Today it was so cold that I didnā€™t really have time to sit there and think too much. I just went out on the track and ran. Based on my flying 30m times, I know that my top speed needs work. I was very happy with my 80m times because of how well I was able to accelerate until 60m. I was very relaxed and just let all of my levers do what there supposed to do instead of forcing things. Even though the weather has been very cold, I was just happy to be outside running on a track instead of what we had to do during the indoor season. I look forward to my next workout. I know that when I step out on the track again its going to be a battle with myself and iā€™m ready to win and never look back.

The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender. VINCE LOMBARDI

Tuesday 4/6/04

Trackā€“Dflex-20m
Form Drills 5x30m slow
Tempoā€“9x200m @27 sec (3min)

*20 abdominal exercises of various types, before and after each run.

The weather was a little warmer than yesterday but very windy. The workout was easy for the most part and I feel as though I am almost completely over my cold. I still need to work on relaxing my shoulders and the loss of upper body mass that I have been trying to achieve is starting to help. Tomorrows workout is what its all about. If the weather is good I will be able to really push myself. Its almost timeā€¦