VCB splitting from Braumann?

Report: Campbell-Brown splits with long-time coach
Publish on Oct 15th, 2009 By Gary Smith,

ORLANDO, Fla — Double Olympic 200-metres champion Veronica Campbell-Brown has split with long time coach Lance Brauman, the Jamaica STAR reported on Thursday.

According to the paper, a close source to both parties confirmed the separation, although Campbell-Brown’s manager Claude Bryan did not confirm nor deny the reports, stating: “I can not divulge anything on that at this moment.”

Brauman and the Jamaican came together at the beginning of her college career at Barton County Junior College in Kansas, USA, where she won several indoor and outdoor national honours, prior to them both moving on to continue their relationship at the University of Arkansas.

Under the guidance of Brauman at Arkansas, Campbell-Brown surged to excellence at the international level.

At the Athens Olympic Games in 2004, she charged to the gold medal in the women’s 200m and then anchored the Jamaicans to the 4×100m crown. She had also finished third in the 100m.

The 27-year-old followed up those achievements with a silver medal in the 100m at the 2005 World Championships in Helsinki, and then gold in the 100m and silver in 200m in Osaka in 2007.

The former world junior sprint double champion returned in 2008 at the Beijing Olympics with a big personal best of 21.74 to win the 200m.

Struggling with a toe problem this past season, Campbell-Brown failed to emulate that same performance, but did well enough to take silver in the 200m behind American Allyson Felix and fourth in the 100m behind fellow countrywoman Shelly Ann Fraser at the world championships in Berlin in August.

Brauman, who also coached several other top athletes, including American speedster Tyson Gay and Jamaican Dwight Thomas at his training camp in Florida, was unavailable for comments.

To report corrections, additions and clarifications, please shoot an email to our editor Lorraine Cummings.

Maybe she’s going to save money like Wariner.

This seems to make about as much sense as Wariner’s coaching choice after 4 years of dominance with Hart.

Gee, maybe she’s going to save money like Wariner

lol she will come crawling back.

Report says she and husb moving to work with Anthony Carpenter in Atlanta. Anyone know who that is?

Someone that will help her get up to a 11.5 and 22.9

Is that the guy that Gatlin has been working with?

Gatlin is supposedly with Loren Seagrave

I see. There was an article some months back, 4 or 5 probably, about how Gatlin was training with some other guy in Atlanta and the name escapes me at the moment. I’ll try to find it.

Gatlin with Seagrave??does he have a website now?

From what Loren told me you are 100% correct.

Knock, knock! Who’s Anthony Carpenter? - Much about VCB’s new coach remains a mystery

Published: Wednesday | November 4, 2009

Leighton Levy, Gleaner Writer

Campbell-Brown

Much about Anthony Carpenter - the man who for the foreseeable future will coach two-time Olympic champion Veronica Campbell-Brown - remains a mystery, almost two weeks since it was revealed he will be the new man in charge of guiding her progress when the 2010 track season begins.

Even a photo of the coach is hard to come by.

News broke recently that Campbell-Brown had parted ways with her long-time coach, Lance Brauman. Brauman had coached the 2007 100-metre world champion since her days at Barton County Community College and was directly responsible for her success as one of the greatest female sprinters of all time. It was also revealed that Carpenter was to be her new coach.

But, who exactly is Anthony Carpenter? Not very many people seem to know. Even American track and field bloggers know very little. On the blog site, A View From The Finish Line, blogger Conway Hill remarked: "Recently, I talked about the elite level of the sport and the effect that money has had as the sport has attempted to grow from an amateur sport into a professional one. The ‘growing pains’ that have stressed the sport on the money front has seemingly spilled over to the coaching front. I say that, after reading on Friday that, Veronica Campbell-Brown is leaving Lance Brauman - the coach that has guided her to nine world and Olympic medals, including three gold. The coach that she is leaving him for is Anthony Carpenter. No offence to Carpenter, but everyone I’ve talked to so far is asking: ‘Who is Anthony Carpenter?’

However, when he was contacted recently, Carpenter declined to reveal anything about his coaching career or which other world-class athletes he currently coaches.

“I have a significant amount of coaching experience,” was all he would offer in response to questions posed to him with regards to his experience and what other athletes he coached.

“I have significant expertise. I have no other comment at this time.”

What is known is that he will also be coaching Herbert Morrison past student and world junior champion, Dexter Lee.

Carpenter is also a coach at the Titans Track Club, based in Marietta, Georgia. According to the Titans website, the club offers more than just getting athletes to run fast.

“The Titans programme is not just about running and athletic conditioning; moreover, it is a training ground for the next generation of productive citizens.”

The name Anthony Carter also appears on the USA Track and Field (USATF) website, on a list of coaches that chaperoned athletes to the 2009 USATF National Junior Olympic Championships earlier this year.

Satisfied

Claude Bryan, who manages Campbell-Brown, indirectly confirmed Carpenter’s association to the Titans.

“He runs a youth club in the state of Georgia and he coaches a list of incredible athletes,” he said, though he declined to say who those athletes were.

Bryan said the athlete is quite satisfied with her new coach’s credentials.

“He has what she is looking for,” he said. “She has come to the determination that he has the requirements.”

With regards to Brauman, Bryan shot down media reports that Brauman may not have been properly informed that VCB was leaving him for Carpenter.

“He was told a week prior to the story that came out,” Bryan said.

Campbell-Brown and her husband, Omar, begin training this month with some injury concerns. Omar is only just now getting comfortable after missing virtually the entire season rehabilitating from ankle surgery. Veronica is still working to overcome a persistent toe infection that remains a bit of a concern.

“It (toe injury) is not totally behind her yet. It’s still problematic,” Bryan said. “She is doing the necessary treatment … to ensure that she will be in good nick for the 2010 season.”

It will be a busy season for VCB, who plans to run indoors for the first time since 2006. Bryan explained that since there are no major championships next season it would be an opportune time to venture back indoors.

She also has to play catch up to three women who have taken a distinct leap forward in the 100-metres. Carmelita Jeter, Shelly Ann Fraser and Kerron Stewart ran much faster last season than Campbell-Brown has ever ran.

“She realises that she has a lot of work to do to get to the 10.7-10.6 range, which is where medals are being decided now,” Bryan said.

Wednesday, 04 November 2009 VCB back in training with new coach - IAAF Online Diaries

Veronica Campbell-Brown is bestowed the honour of UNESCO Ambassador for Sport in Paris (Freelance)
After a three-month break Olympic champion Veronica Campbell-Brown is now back in training but has changed home and coach…

"In my previous entry I had remarked that there is not really an “off-season” in our sport anymore and how right am I?

“It is already November, less than three months since I last competed and I am already back in training. The last month has been almost whirlwind-like, as I have done so much in so little time.

“I am proud to have been was bestowed the honour of UNESCO Ambassador for Sport and travelled to Paris where I received the designation.

“My husband Omar, my manager Claude Bryan and his wife Juanita and the Jamaican Minister of Sport, Ms Babsy Grange accompanied me.

“We stayed in a hotel just beside the Eiffel Tower and I had a room with a great view giving me a direct sight of the view to the marvellous structure.

“The ceremony itself was wonderful and it reminded me of how privileged I am to be conferred the honour as I am now in the company of sporting legends such as Brazilian football player Pele, German Formula One race driver Michael Schumacher and Belgian tennis star Justine Henin.

“My role will be to promote gender equity in sports and it is an area that I feel strongly about as I think our sport and sports in general can do a lot to foster this.

“Another honour I was fortunate to receive was induction into the University of Arkansas Hall of Fame. It is nice to know that the university from which I graduated favourably considered me for this citation.

“The month of October also saw me parting ways with my long-time coach Lance Brauman.
Coach Brauman has guided me since I left high school in Jamaica and I have had a very productive partnership with him.

“As I indicated to him when I told him about my decision, his work is sincerely appreciated. I felt there was a need for a change in direction hence my switch in coaching. I am now based in the state of Georgia and my new coach is “Tony” Carpenter. I am eagerly looking forward to the upcoming season.

“Omar the reigning Commonwealth Games 200m champion; Olympic and IAAF World Championships 4x400m relay medallist Shereefa Lloyd and IAAF Youth and Junior 100m champion Dexter Lee are training with me there.

“Until next time,”

VCB

Is VCB’s new coach like the mystery man who coached Drob?

“No big deal” Brauman says about VCB split

Veronica Campbell-Brown after Jamaica’s 4x100m mishap at the Beijing Olympics in 2008

KINGSTON — Lance Brauman has described his separation with former two-time Olympic 200m champion Veronica Campbell-Brown as “no big deal”.

In their six year working relationship, Brauman guided Campbell-Brown to Olympic 200m glory in 2004 and 2008 and World Championship’s 100m gold in 2007.

Brauman hinted he wasn’t even properly informed of Campbell-Brown’s decision to change him as her coach, less than three months after she repeated her 200m silver medal performance at the World Championships in Berlin.

“That’s the word I heard, we severed our relationship, we both moved forward, no big deal,” was all he said when asked to confirm the separation.

Campbell-Brown, who won silver at the 2005 World Championships and bronze at the 2004 Olympics, all under Brauman, said it was time for her to move on.

“It has been a great run with coach Brauman over the last six years, but I feel it’s time for a change,” said Campbell-Brown.

She did not comment on reports that Brauman wanted a raise in pay and that she felt she was not getting enough of the coach’s attention.

“Coach Brauman has done a good job getting me two individual Olympic gold medals but the time has come to move on, I felt the need for a change,” the Jamaica Observer quoted Campbell-Brown as saying.

Campbell-Brown, along with her husband Omar, will move to Atlanta to train with Anthony Carpenter.

After making several checks with top coaches, managers and athletes, TrackAlerts.com found no one who knew anything about Carpenter.