UK Sprint coaches

When I even mention short to long I just get raised eyebrows - and whats that ?

I guess they are restricted with indoor facilities tho -

it’s just I assume if people are interested in sprinting they are interested in getting faster - and prepared to listen to how other people train - I incorperate some of the stuff they do and see if it works - ie knocking 800m off my warm skip up & doing more drills has helped
I’m interested in learning - but close mindedness is beyond me :frowning:

ps - two of our relay team are now out for the rest of the season with injury

I was having a look (quick one) at how other athetes are training. Difficult to look at everyone - due to my training times.

But I am the only athlete who is during speed work and acceleration work. A few are doing block work.

But everybody alse is doing some run throughs, some special endurance and speed endurance, but most are doing volume work - 6 x 200 with 3 - 5 minute recoveries.

I just don’t bother.

But it is good to talk to like minded people

I even got a raised eyebrow for running with the wind on wednesday aaaaaaaarrrgh!!! -
got told off for running in the wrong direction ( it can cause accidents apparently lol )
however since I don’t tend to run with my eyes closed or do it on a busy track f**k off & die :eek: ( what I should have replied )
it’s good to vent ur wrath sometimes :smiley:

Gloop you have to face it- there aren’t any coaches in the UK following Charlie’s methods, apart from maybe a select few who are working with the top handful of sprinters.

The rest follow the traditional training methods, and that is probably a major reason for the lack of strength in depth of UK track and field athletes.

Anyone following Charlie’s methods here in the UK would be going against the grain so much, that they would get shot down very quickly. Over here the impression is that the coaches are convinced there is only one way to train (long to short, short rest intervals, medium intensity), and such is the common ignorance and closed-mindedness (generalising) of the British personality, that they are not likely to consider that there could be another way to train.

Of course there will be some exceptions to this rule, but in this country it is hard for some one who thinks differently in such a field to have a chance.

I’m afraid ur right Jimbo -
there must be some that are reasonably sound about biomechanical technique regarding starts and form tho .
digicam is the way to go I’m sure - least that way I can make some progression thru analysis here on the forum -
and I will be able to experiment with technique and check my own form against digital timing

But somebody’s doing something right. What about ML Francis etc? Who are the coaches and what training are they doing?

Im sure most of the blokes on the list are good - it’s just highly probable they’re gonna be too busy to work with a sprinter of my standard .

Mike McFarland coached Dwain , and I’m not sure who coaches MLF but I do know he was very careful not to overtrain him as a junior , & not forgetting the bloke at Bath who got Jason G to sub 10

I think generally attitudes to volume are improving , I sometimes forget club coaches / athletes are doing work that will allow them to withstand competition on a weekly basis during the season - and build a base for that - whereas I just wanna get faster times / compete less & not get injured .

This way still sounds better lol

The main thing is to look at conditions and view everything with the same open mind that we want others to have.

Who coaches Joice Maduaka? I take it it isn’t Linford anymore? Whoever it is seems to be doing a good job. She seems more consistant and also smashed her 60m PB this year to 7.19!

What happened to Amanda Forrester. She ran 11.34 in the
Commonwealth final and has failed to make the AAA final this year!

18:08 - 100 METRES Women - Final OFFICIAL RESULTS
Wind: -1.0 m/s

1 651 Maduaka Joice W G N E L 11.31 0.173
2 685 Oyepitan Abi S B 11.54 0.197
3 540 Burnside Susan E W M 11.76 0.195
4 639 Kwakye Jeanette W G N E L 11.76 0.159
5 752 Thomas Kelly SALE M 11.84 0.197
6 583 Endacott Katherine C of PLY 11.85 0.179
7 715 Roberts Melanie LIV H 11.96 0.201
8 678 Norville Danni TELFORD AC 12.03 0.230

16:55 - 100 METRES Women - Semi-Final - Heat 1 OFFICIAL RESULTS
First 4 of each heat (Q) qualified Wind: 1.1 m/s
1 651 Maduaka Joice W G N E L 11.30 0.167 Q
2 540 Burnside Susan E W M 11.71 0.172 Q
3 752 Thomas Kelly SALE M 11.72 0.188 Q PB
4 678 Norville Danni TELFORD AC 11.89 0.192 Q
5 661 Maylor Donna BIRCHFIELD 11.90 0.157
6 593 Forrester Amanda C STOKE 11.92 0.227
7 777 Whitter Emma H H H 11.92 0.144 SB
8 783 Wilson Bernice BIRCHFIELD 12.26 0.204

17:02 - 100 METRES Women - Semi-Final - Heat 2 OFFICIAL RESULTS
First 4 of each heat (Q) qualified Wind: 0.1 m/s
1 685 Oyepitan Abi S B 11.44 0.160 Q
2 639 Kwakye Jeanette W G N E L 11.70 0.206 Q
3 583 Endacott Katherine C of PLY 11.83 0.171 Q
4 715 Roberts Melanie LIV H 11.86 0.214 Q SB
5 725 Ruddock Ellena R & N 11.87 0.215
6 595 Freeman Emily WAKEFIELD 11.96 0.210
7 759 Turner Laura HARROW 12.00 0.201
8 519 Beattie Natalie PITREAVIE 12.09 0.169

According to the commentators covering the AAAs Linford does still coach Maduaka.

Tis true Joice Maduaka is coached by Linford Christie. Though I do find it odd as the main bulk of that group trains in cardiff, and she lives in London…

Joice is looking good - her knee lift seems almost non existant in the last 20m tho -

Abi was great in the 200 tho - she really wanted that - and Joice looked tired -

As for Amanda Forrester - there must be some problem there to see such a dip in form -

As for the men it was wicked to see Julian Golding back from injury at last too - he’s working with John Regis -
I was expecting Marlon Devonish to have showed more - Darren Cambell has definately got a lucky streak tho - I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a medal in the WC’s now

I really don’t understand what’s happened to Marlon this year, especially after the season he had last year. I do agree with you gloop, it’s great to see julian Golding running well again. I was a little disappointed with chris lamberts run, especially as he has the quickest time by a british athlete this year.
Joice did look tred in her 2, but she’s already qualified for that event. Her 100 though did seem to fall apart in the last 10 metres, i kinda got the impression she was trying too hard for the time instead of just thinking about relaxing cos the time would’ve just come then…

I spose the headwind din’t help too much - still a good time considering -

it’s amazing how u can see growing confidence improving an athletes performance on tv over the weeks - the problem comes in getting some for urself lol

Yeah - Chris Lambert did that too last year didn’t he - does he get enough races ?

Christian Malcom is such a smooth runner tho - even when he’s tensing up his forms great

Funny thing was I noticed Michael East had pretty good form for a 1500m runner - someone I know said they’d timed him in training - reckoned he did some sub 50 400’s - if its true thats fast - he always looks pretty smooth at the end of a race

Oops

Does anybody know Mr Peter Thompson

http://www.atfca.com.au/news.htm

I can’t say that i do…

Nor me

Jimbo

a recent article in “The Coach” by Phil Gardiner on development of speed describes CF training methods short to long etc also mentions Speed Trap.
I think a number of coaches are using this method as oppesed to the traditional long to short

although I do agree with your comment about getting shot down
I put a link to this site on another forum and was met with a sarcatsic reply

Just read through the thread and the North East of England has a decent squad which tries to get together for various things trying to make use of who is around. Group ranges from vets and lads wanting go get fit, (inc some females!!) to internationals. Its mainly centred around 400/400H

They dont follow any ‘school’ of thought just analyse what is best for them, taking into consideration what has been tried and tested. Certainly Charlie has had a fair input into what they do for the simple fact that what Charlie does is right! They look at who is the exp[ert in that particular area of training and learn from them to be able to apply it to what they do as part of the overall programme - its just educating oneself afterall!!

Anyone wishing to discuss further or come and have a go can send me a message. I always think that coaches come to prominence because they have fast athletes. Many times there are fantastic coaches who simply dont have the talent around them (or havent managed to pick up the talent) but dont get recignised as they dont have the superathlete.