Two Questions

I will search the archives (when time permits)

I have 2 questions.

1. I have just been given the ok to start speed work with spikes on. The last 3 weeks I have progressively increased tempo work.

How should I start and introduce speed work. I was thinking to start at 20m and start at about 85% and increase intensity and have longer breaks (say 5 minutes), and keep reps low.

1. Do you think this is an ok warm up. I have modified this from the one I used when throwing.

2. 100m jog - include touching ground, lateral movements

3. 100m jog - include touching ground, lateral movements

4. 30m jog + 30m skip + 30m jog

5. 30m jog + 30m skip + 30m jog

6. 30m jog + 30m side steps with arm swings (left) + 30m jog

7. 30m jog + 30m side steps (right)+ 30m jog

8. 30m jog + 30m caricoca (left)+ 30m jog

9. 30m jog + 30m caricoca (right)+ 30m jog

10. 30m Step ‘A’ + 60m jog/skip/walking + 10 Hip Extension

11. 30m Step ‘A’ + 60m jog/skip/walking + 10 Push Ups

12. 30m 1,2,3 Step + 60m jog/skip/walking + 10 Crunches

13. 30m 1,2,3 Step + 60m jog/skip/walking +20 Squats (1/4 quick)

14. 30m Backward Running + 60m jog/skip/walking + 10 Good Mornings

15. 30m Backward Running + 60m jog/skip/walking + 10 Lunges

16. 30m Runthroughs + 60m jog/skip/walk

17. 30m Runthroughs + 60m jog/skip/walk

18. 30m Runthroughs + 60m jog/skip/walk

19. 30m Runthroughs + 60m jog/skip/walk

20. 20 – 30 Plyometric Jumps – ankle jumps or skip rope

21. Light body stretch

22. Hurdle drills

23. Further specific stretch (hips & lower back)

24. Block Starts in Spikes

25. Relax

I’d introduce progressive sprints first - gives you an easier lead in with less chance of twanging something nasty .
Then move to explosive stuff when ur bodies got used to going fast again .

Continuing on what gloopzilla said, with progressive sprints you can reach a higher intensity at the end instead of doing the whole run in a lower but consistent intensity.

When do spikes go on? How long does this take? “Ground touching” is a lower body stretch move and you’re doing it first thing. Upper body losening work should occur before lower- ie the arm swings and push-up would go earlier.The plyos seem a bit much in volume and 20 squats in a row are far too many Are the squats, lunges and good mornings with weights? Comments?

Charlie up until now (this week) I have been doing tempo work on grass in flats. I am able to put spikes on as of the next track session if I like.

As per warm up the exercises are just bodyweight. I agree I think 20 squats (there are only 1/4) is too much. The plyos are really just little ankle jumps.

By progressive do you mean start at a lower intensity and build up?

Thanks

DMA - By progressive do you mean start at a lower intensity and build up?

Yes - like a flying 20m - run 50 - 60m with the first 30 - 40m building ur speed then flat out for the last 20m -
helps with control of form and doesn’t carry the risk of accelerations u may find that after the first two reps ur going faster - so you’ve warmed up naturally .

Bring in 20 - 30m accelerations after a week or two on a separate day to the above - your body should then be a little more used to going fast by then.

You’ve obviously been careful in ur preparation to this point - seems wise to continue - introducing any new componants gradually .

I’d suggest some explosive med - ball throws 3 - 5 reps b4 and interspersed throughout the workout too - helps wake up ur CNS pre sprint . I’ve been doing these religiously for about a year now and find it really helps u focus .

Thanks Gloop

I would love to bring med ball work plus olympic weights, deadlifts and barbell squats - but not at that stage yet.

Thanks for help

Darren A