True or False?

You should still achieve full shoulder extension on your arm swing during top speed, otherwise you risk cutting off stride length?

I see some athletes getting full shoulder extension during the drive phase but not top speed. Whats the deal??

The shoulder does need to have this range of motion so that the hips will not “lock” up. It may be that the athletes you have seen are tightening up during max. speed due to pressing or any other variable.
What level are the athletes that you seen this in or any specific athletes? Thanks:D

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by full shoulder extension. Could you describe this more fully?

Charlie i think David is refering to shoulder extension as when the elbow swings back behind the hips during the acceleration phase. During max velocity the swinging back is not as high.

what is full shoulder extention?

I think we are starting to discuss the rotation of the shoulder in towards the midline of the body, which in turn, would allow the hips to move properly. I could be wrong. (wouldnt be the first time)

Originally posted by Sharmer
Charlie i think David is refering to shoulder extension as when the elbow swings back behind the hips during the acceleration phase. During max velocity the swinging back is not as high.

This is what I was talking about.
I was wondering why there is not as much extension during max velocity.

During acceleration extending the arms back allows for maximum angular momentum of the arms which helps overcomes the bodys inertia.

At max velocity it the hip joint that is most critical in determining the magnitude of GRF.

The whole idea that pumping the arms is all that is needed to run fast is a gross simplification of sprint mechanics and misconception of newton laws.