Tribulus - Testosterone Boosters

anybody know of good “reliable companies/brands” that wont make me test positive. I’m talking about tribulus or testosterone boosters that i WONT test positive. wat are some brands to stay away from and what are somgod clean brands?

I’ve used biotests Tribulus and Alpha Male. I was supposed to get blood work done because I wanted to see the change in my T-Levels but unforuntely Labsafe.com doesn’t operate in NJ, so although I don’t have bloodwork numbers to prove it the stuff def. worked based on the fact my sex drive went through the freagin roof on both substances. I wouldn’t worry about testing positive with biotest products either.

I’m not sure about that. I’d go to their website and ask just to be sure. 'Cause that would really suck.

I would not recommend tribulus supplements. There was a lengthy dicussion on this a couple years back, and not much has changed since…

I think it’s worth posting again.

http://charliefrancis.com/community/showpost.php?p=64382&postcount=11

I agree and its waste of money.

It increased my sex drive, I thought it worked decently for a supplement.

I have heard that too. I never had success with it but I have friends who say it benefited them.

Decent for only increasing sex drive at best.

However there is some information around that suggests it depends on the type of dry root that is used for its real effectiveness. But I’m not sure how effective for increasing testosterone!

Most of the supplement industry competes for your sale, so far stretched claims are sometimes made to get your money when in reality the product is not that good but marketed realy well!

I don’t think there’s any doubt about it’s effectiveness - as numerous studies have shown tribulus does increase testosterone making it a potentially useful supplement for those with below normal levels of testosterone. However for a healthy male, the increases in estrogen from this supplement aren’t worth the trouble IMO.

I think you’d get better results with an aromatase inhibitor…

I used this product for about an 8 week cycle, on two separate occasions…

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mhp/t2.html

The primary ingredient is Tribulus, but it has some other things as well, including estrogen suppressors. I also used a ZMA supplement while I was taking it.

I did feel a dramatic increase in libido, and I did make some gains in the gym that couldn’t be attributed to simply a placebo effect. I’m in my mid 40’s though, I don’t know if this product would work better for an older athlete or not.

I plan on trying it again in the very near future, along with the ZMA.

Did you ever try ZMA by itself? That way you could see whether it is one or the other or the combo that works for you.

I just found three studies that show NO increase in t-levels. The nice graphs on the bodybuilding sites don’t reference their data.

Here are the abstracts:
Excretion studies with Tribulus terrestris. Van Eenoo, P.; Delbeke, F. T.; Desmet, N.; De Backer, P. Doping Control Unit - Dept. Pharmacology, Pharmacy and Toxicology, Ghent University, Merelbeke, Belg. Editor(s): Schaenzer, W. Recent Advances in Doping Analysis (8), Proceedings of the Manfred Donike Workshop, Cologne Workshop on Dope Analysis, 18th, Cologne, Germany, Feb. 20-25, 2000 (2000), 13-22. Publisher: Verlag Sport und Buch Strauss, Cologne, Germany CODEN: 69BNUX Conference written in English. CAN 135:222472 AN 2001:522950 CAPLUS

Abstract

Tribulus terrestris is marketed as a natural testosterone booster and is probably used by athletes. According to internet sources, Tribulus terrestris stimulates LH and consequently testosterone prodn. In this study the effect of Tribulus terrestris on urinary concns. of lutheinizing hormone (LH), testosterone and other endogenous steroids, monitored in doping control, was investigated. Four volunteers took two tablets of Tribulin, each contg. 250 mg of Tribulus terrestris, three times a day for four and a half days. The urinary steroid and LH profile of the volunteers was monitored before and after intake of the Tribulus terrestris supplement. No significant changes in endogenous steroid concns. were obsd.

Effects of anabolic precursors on serum testosterone concentrations and adaptations to resistance training in young men. Brown, Gregory A.; Vukovich, Matthew D.; Reifenrath, Tracy A.; Uhl, Nathaniel L.; Parsons, Kerry A.; Sharp, Rick L.; King, Douglas S. Exercise Biochemistry Laboratory in the Department of Health and Human Performance, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, USA. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism (2000), 10(3), 340-359. Publisher: Human Kinetics Publishers, Inc., CODEN: IJSNAA ISSN: 1526-484X. Journal written in English. CAN 134:85534 AN 2000:738711 CAPLUS

Abstract

The effects of androgen precursors, combined with herbal exts. designed to enhance testosterone formation and reduce conversion of androgens to estrogens was studied in young men. Subjects performed 3 days of resistance training per wk for 8 wk. Each day during Weeks 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, and 8, subjects consumed either placebo (PL; n = 10) or a supplement (ANDRO-6; n = 10), which contained daily doses of 300 mg androstenedione, 150 mg DHEA, 750 mg Tribulus terrestris, 625 mg Chrysin, 300 mg Indole-3-carbinol, and 540 mg Saw palmetto. Serum androstenedione concns. were higher in ANDRO-6 after 2, 5, and 8 wk (p < .05), while serum concns. of free and total testosterone were unchanged in both groups. Serum estradiol was elevated at Weeks 2, 5, and 8 in ANDRO-6 (p < .05), and serum estrone was elevated at Weeks 5 and 8 (p < .05). Muscle strength increased (p < .05) similarly from Weeks 0 to 4, and again from Weeks 4 to 8 in both treatment groups. The acute effect of one third of the daily dose of ANDRO-6 and PL was studied in 10 men (234 yr). Serum androstenedione concns. were elevated (p< .05) in ANDRO-6 from 150 to 360 min after ingestion, while serum free or total testosterone concns. were unchanged. These data provide evidence that the addn. of these herbal exts. to androstenedione does not result in increased serum testosterone concns., reduce the estrogenic effect of androstenedione, and does not augment the adaptations to resistance training.

The aphrodisiac herb Tribulus terrestris does not influence the androgen production in young men. Neychev V K; Mitev V I Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Medical University, 2 Zdrave str., Sofia-1431, Bulgaria. neychev@dir.bg Journal of ethnopharmacology (2005), 101(1-3), 319-23. Journal code: 7903310. ISSN:0378-8741. Ireland. Journal; Article; (JOURNAL ARTICLE); (RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED TRIAL); (CLINICAL TRIAL) written in English. PubMed ID 15994038 AN 2005484102 MEDLINE

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: The aim of the current study is to investigate the influence of Tribulus terrestris extract on androgen metabolism in young males. DESIGN AND METHODS: Twenty-one healthy young 20-36 years old men with body weight ranging from 60 to 125 kg were randomly separated into three groups-two experimental (each n=7) and a control (placebo) one (n=7). The experimental groups were named TT1 and TT2 and the subjects were assigned to consume 20 and 10 mg/kg body weight per day of Tribulus terrestris extract, respectively, separated into three daily intakes for 4 weeks. Testosterone, androstenedione and luteinizing hormone levels in the serum were measured 24 h before supplementation (clear probe), and at 24, 72, 240, 408 and 576 h from the beginning of the supplementation. RESULTS: There was no significant difference between Tribulus terrestris supplemented groups and controls in the serum testosterone (TT1 (mean+/-S.D.: 15.75+/-1.75 nmol/l); TT2 (mean+/-S.D.: 16.32+/-1.57 nmol/l); controls (mean+/-S.D.: 17.74+/-1.09 nmol/l) (p>0.05)), androstenedione (TT1 (mean+/-S.D.: 1.927+/-0.126 ng/ml); TT2 (mean+/-S.D.: 2.026+/-0.256 ng/ml); controls (mean+/-S.D.: 1.952+/-0.236 ng/ml) (p>0.05)) or luteinizing hormone (TT1 (mean+/-S.D.: 4.662+/-0.274U/l); TT2 (mean+/-S.D.: 4.103+/-0.869U/l); controls (mean+/-S.D.: 4.170+/-0.406U/l) (p>0.05)) levels. All results were within the normal range. The findings in the current study anticipate that Tribulus terrestris steroid saponins possess neither direct nor indirect androgen-increasing properties. The study will be extended in the clarifying the probable mode of action of Tribulus terrestris steroid saponins.

Nice work finding those studies! :slight_smile: Further establishes that healthy males with natural testosterone levels will not benefit from using tribulus.

Nice find, find anything on cell-tech…

Of course there are many studies on creatine, but I found nothing new on cell-tech’s formula.

No I haven’t. I’m impatient, and I think it would probably take me a full 8-week cycle on the ZMA, and then 4 weeks off, and another 8-cycle on the trib to get an idea about what’s working. So I just take both, knowing the somehow this combo works for me.

I’ve also seen studies that say anabolics such as stan, primo, hgh etc. don’t enhance athletic performance. Everyone knows they do, so these studies don’t mean alot to me. There are other studies that would contradict these. I can tell that the trib/zma combo I’ve used has an impact on me. I’m mid 40’s and lifting for 30 years. When I change something in my diet or supps, I am pretty confident I can detect the reponse in my own workouts.

Having done a quick review of available literature, I think I will try a ZMA only cycle to see if I get similar results. ZMA is cheaper than the trib anyway.

By the way Charlie, have you seen any positive results with ZMA in women?

Those studies were all performed on young males. Perhaps tribulus has more of an effect on men in an older age group? Have you ever had your T levels tested?

Yes, several times. When I was younger, my levels were higher than normal. When I gave blood, I was always asked questions about alchohol consumption in the past 30 mins etc, because of higher levels. At other times, my levels were in the lower normal areas, primarily a function of sleep apnea, I was told. I haven’t had them checked lately. Age probably does have an impact on test boosters, I would suspect.