treadmill or road

I’d also watch out for too steep an incline as it can cause your feet to slam into the deck of the treadmill prematurely ahead of your centre of mass, and can also result in excessive backside mechanics. As Charlie stated, it depends on your familiarity with working with a treadmill.

I think if you stick to Charlie’s concept of tempo training (recovery focused) you will not try to create too intense (or challenging) a training scenario and err on the side of less when (especially when you are trying something new).

Thanks for the replies. I did it today at 10 mph and 2 degrees incline, and it was harder on the hamstrings than before. My quads felt about the same, but my calves felt like they were getting more of a workout than on 0 incline. Is there any negative affects to using an incline, like less work for a certain muscle?

Hey Stafanie,

Since snow has hit Ive been running inside on a treadmill. Recently Ive done intervals with a 400m at 10mph(treadmill max) then go into a walk for 100m, then up to a jog at 5-6mph for 100m then right into my next 400m. Its not quite the speed youd get on the track but I def got a decent workout. Also I use a slight incline of 2degrees. It helps to make it feel like actually running. When it is just flat I feel like all Im doing is putting my foot out in front and the belt does the work by pulling it back, but with an incline it adds a vertical component and feels much more like being on the track. Also on the treadmill while doing the 400’s, watch out for hip height, its easy to let them become untucked.

Today was a balmy 45F outside and I hit the track for 15 100m tempo workout, and I was hitting pretty decent times. So Id say the treadmill work isnt too bad.

oooops…Stefanie (my bad)

Thanks for the replies.
The treadmill in my gym goes up to 12mph. Should I try doing my tempo to that speed? I’ve actually tried it for about 30seconds, but I’m not sure for how long I can do it and for how many reps.
But say I start with a 3 degree incline and 10mph and want to make the workout more challenging, do you recommend increasing the incline, or increasing the speed, or both? Charlie?

Stef,
Id say just play around with it and see what you can handle. My first time out I did it flat, and then once I felt comfy moving fast at that speed I moved it up to 2(next session). As for 12mph, that depends on you. 12mph is a 5 min mile, 2:30 half, 75s 1/4 and a 37 200m. I dont know what times you are using for your tempo, so again start off at like 9mph then work up to a faster pace on subsequent reps. Also watch out for acceleration. Most treasmills gain speed fairly slowly, but sometimes it can take you by surprise. Just play with it for a session or two and you will quickly figure out what speeds and incline feel most comfortable.

Originally posted by Charlie Francis

The incline keeps the workload up as you get more familiar with the treadmill and you’ve already topped out the speed.

Now that I’m reading this again, I realize Charlie has already answered my question:
Try to reach max speed on the treadmill and once I’ve reached that, then use the incline to keep the workload up, am I correct? So start flat, reach 12mph and when or if that happens ( :wink: ) then start using the incline.

12mph is a 5 min mile, 2:30 half, 75s 1/4 and a 37 200m.

Thanks slowman, that helps. Now I’ll have an idea of what I’m doing. Of course I could have figured that out myself :slight_smile: but it’s nice when it’s given to you, hehe.

Has anyone here used the nordic skier (sic) for Tempo work?

I’m suffering with a calf problem and am trying to limit the impact and stress, but want to keep doing something…

Works great if injured because it keeps the hamstrings [another often injured area] moving in their hip extension mode.

I don’t like that machine, once you build momentum the machine ends up doing the work for you (it carries your limbs through the range of motion without your muscles doing any work).

If you have calf problems I would rather do tempo in the pool or even on the stationary cycle.

Is the nordic skiier the same as the elliptical machine?

If not, how is the elliptical machine for tempo?

I was wondering about the same thing, cause the elliptical is even nicer to the calves, which is what I like about it. But I need a lot more time on it to feel like I’ve gotten a workout out of it, than using the treadmill.

Today it was raining, I was supposed to do 10*200m repeats, but I tried a treadmill tempo instead:
At a 3 incline, i was doing 10mph for one minute and resting at 5mph for 2 minutes in between. I did it 10 times. For the last one though, I brought it down to a 0 incline (I got pretty tired :frowning: ). It was so much easier…I felt I was going downhill.
You think that workout would be equivalent to 200m repeats?
I was angry, cause as soon as I got out of the gym, the rain had stopped :mad:

Jogging in place of tempo on pavement is an option but you should run slower and use your heels like a jogger would. The reason for this is that the stress would get placed on your whole foot and eleviate some of those shin splints. I know that as a sprinter you should be on the balls of your feet; however, with your shin splints slow down to about 40-60% for your jogging and use your heels. Your shin splints are most likely caused bc your running on your toes for 4-5miles instead of doing tempo at 75% and at the reps/recovery CF suggests; however, if after the tempo runs on the CFTS you still get shin splints try the program I’ve recommended for you above if you still decide to do a continous 5 mile jog.

P.S. Remember joggers use their whole foot bc it is more efficient form for jogging and sprinters use the balls of their feet with the heel touching down for a split second bc this is a more efficient form for sprinters.

Charlie or anyone:

Approximately what distance would this equate to (80-100 steps and spd=10 and inc=3)?

I use 85 steps to replace 100m for tempo, though the relationship is a bit vague because some people are more comfortable on the treadmill than others.

…Thanks…

Charlie:

Do you count the steps from when the treadmill starts moving, from when the athlete starts running, or from when the treadmill kicks up to full speed?

I keep the treadmill going throughout and have the athletes hop on and off.