Training your hamstrings

What does the EMG data on hamstring activation during the squat say? I can only remember seeing one set that suggested there is little difference between parallel and bellow parallel, and only slightly more than for a quarter squat.

I know I feel it more in the hammies the deeper I go, but I don’t seem to get the development. :confused: Glutes on the other hand really blow out.

On a side note, is it just me or do most of the athletes out there with great top speed but average starts have large hammies in proportion to their glutes. Im thinking of Donovan, linford Flo-jo and Marion. The only exception I can think of is Ben who seemed to have massive hammies compared to glutes yet theres no question about his ability to start - although he did accellerate relatively upright which would place more emphasis on the ham than glute.

Thoughts?

cortese how do you perform the RDL?

'bout the hams & squat, i don’t think they are much activated, at least you use a wide stance or shins-vertical style like in the PLing

I´ve heard from some physios at least that legcurls is a good way to strengthen the hammies after a injury. I´ve also heard that the motion of the legcurl is not consistent with the work they(hamstring) do on the track. Others say that they streghten and is a good way to increase the eccentric power that you need while sprinting. If I didn´t have recent injury I would not use the leg curl as regular as I´m doing to day(5-6 times per week 310 single 310 double up single down). So from what I´ve been learned it´s a good rehab exercise but maybe not the best if you don´t have any problems. Thoughts?

squat to the ground…

good luck…

Interesting - I got a slight strain in my upper hammy yesterday… and I’ve just re-entered a strength phase with high rep RDL’s…

high reps in a strength phase?..

The question is whether you are supposed to perform them that way. After all, the term Romanian Deadlift was coined after watching that guy (Nicu Vlad) perform the exercise. Whats also interesting is the heavy weight that he used. Personally I’ve never gone above 170 lbs. or so for the RDL.

Only difference is my legs are a bit more vertical than in that picture. Keep my back straight and hips pushed back as much as possible then come back up and “follow through” with the hips squeezing the glutes and hamstrings.

Placement Of Feet Is Important, Also When The Weight Is Going Down, Do Not Fight It, Let Muscles Move Freely…

Ciao

On the hamstrings - Yes.