Training to Enter the Next Level.

Long term goals - to make the team during the spring, I’m guessing the tryout will be 3.5 months away.

Short term goals - to ease back into training where I once was, and avoid another injury at all costs! Once I reach that level of confidence then I want to strive to get bigger, faster, and stronger.

What do you need to accomplish to reach that level of confidence? Work towards those goals directly.

Warmup (foam roll, hip mobility)

Technique Runs: 2 x 4 x 50yds, indoor rubber surface

Pillar: x 10
Pedestal: x 10

I started to do some plyo-pushups to ramp up the nervous system for my upperbody workout today, but I feel like I slightly tweaked something in my shoulder/pec area so I stopped. It’s nothing to worry about, I feel like I need a break from all of this upperbody lifting anyways. I’m also very sore in my TA area, I’m thinking it was from doing the hip thrusts yesterday. I’m also starting to have better muscle balance when doing the pedestal. This is probably because of the glute activation drills I have been doing lately.

Warmup (foam roll, hip mobility, sprint drills)

Ladders: 3 x 10yds, 15yds, 20yds, walkback imbetween reps, 2.5min imbetween sets
MT (Bomb): 3 x

Overhead Squats: 3 x 8, 65lbs
Barbell Hip Thrusts: 185 x 8, 205 x 8, 225 x 8
Bulgarian Split Squats: 35’s x 8, 47.5’s x 8, 60’s x 5
Hyperextentions: 2 x 8, 25lbs

I was lucky to have access to the game field since it was a Sunday. I had to deal with some light rain, and the MB throws became useless because it was slippery.

Warmup (static stretch, foam roll)

Bench: 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 5, stopped because pec felt weird again
Pullups: 5 x 6
Reverse Grip Lat Pulldown: 3 x 8, 145lbs

MT (Gas): x 10

I’m thinking there is a slight tear in my right pec from those plyo pushups I did last week. I should have taken this issue more seriously. I’m going start icing and take lots of iburprofen and only do pulling movements for now. I also found a partner who is a tennis player that was interested in doing a MB circuit today.

Forget upper body plyos, too much risk for no significant reward IMO. Have you been able to find a place to do OL’s?

I only did the upperbody plyos to ramp up the nervous system before heavy benching last week.

No I haven’t found a place to do OL’s. Did you ever do OL’s at the SLC?

I did some OL’s, nothing too heavy though because I couldn’t drop it. I did a lot of snatches off pins and heavy power shrugs.

I know somebody who can teach me the snatch. He recommends using straps that would help lower the weight down by easing up on the grip. Since I’m still new to OL’s, I think the power shrug would be a good lift for me.

I did power and hang cleans this past summer without bumper plates, but I don’t think they helped much just because I was very cautious with them and didn’t progress very far. More than anything I just want to get the 40 down, and get a higher vertical as I will start doing some jumps tomorrow.

Missed yesterday because there was an even going on at every field, and the track was taken.

Warmup (jog, hurdle mobility, hip mobility, sprint drills)

6 x Flying 20yds, 2min rest
Hurdle Hops: 30" x 4, 30" x 4, 33" x 4, 33" X 4, 36" x 4.
Low Depth Jumps: 2 x 3

Overhead Squats: Bar x 8, 65 x 8, 95 x 6
Barbell Hip Thrusts: 135 x 6, 225 x 6, 275 x 6, still very easy
Bulgarian Split Squat: 37.5’s x 6, 47.5’s x 6, 65’s x 5
Reverse Leg Press: 3 x 8

Felt a little sluggish during the sprints today. School has been taking a lot out of me with the dry core classes that I have to take.

Warmup (hip mobility, light static stretch)

General Strength:
Waterloo: 3 x 10

Waterloo is not my favorite…

Warmup (foam roll, 300yd jog, sprint drills, light static stretch, buildups)

Speed work: 240
2 x 20yds
2 x 40yds
2 x 60yds

Depth Jumps: 3 x 3, 12" box

No weights today, gym was closed. I also need to really focus on my mid-terms as I want to keep my GPA as high as possible just in case if I decide to transfer to a particular school.

Warmup (foam roll, hip mobility, static stretch)

Bench (light): 135 x 8, 155 x 8, 175 x 8, 185 x 8
Wide Grip Pullups: 4 x 6, focused on the negative

Bataan: x 15

Warmup (foam roll, jog, light static stretch, hip mobility, sprint drills, MB throws)

Speed work: 300yds
3 x 20yds
3 x 40yds
2 x 60yds

MT (Mortar): 5 x

Barbell Hip Thrusts: 135 x 5, 225 x 6, 275 x 6, 315 x 8
Bulgarian Split Squats: 27.5’s x 5, 50’s x 5, 70’s x 5
Reverse Leg Press: 3 x 8, 130lbs

I’ve been making some progress with my mobility. I think as long as I stay consistent with the foam rolling and 30-60sec hold static stretches, I’ll be good. I’m also hoping to get some film of my workouts with my Sony Ericsson phone that has an 8.1 mp camera on it.

Warmup (foam roll, static stretch)

Incline: 135 x 8, 155 x 8, 185 x 6, 195 x 5
Iso-Lateral Decline Press: 3 x 8
Negative Pullups: 4 x 4
Seated Rows: 3 x 8
Delt Triad: 3 x

I’m feeling pretty beat up from yesterday’s session. We’ll see how things go depending on what the warmup feels like tomorrow.

How are you liking the weighted hip thrust?

I’m feeling a lot more glute involvement in my sprinting, MB throws, jumps now. I’m going to keep progressing the weight safely until I can get an estimate of how much I can really do. BTW, it isn’t the most comfortable exercise and I would recommend using a towel around the foam pad on the bar.

Warmup (foam roll, 400yd jog, light static stretch, hip mobility, glute activation, sprint drills, buildups, MB throws)

6 x flying 20yds, last two had a 10yd run in.
Hurdle Hops: 5 x 5, 30-33", 8’ spacing

Barbell Glute Bridges: 135 x 10, 225 x 6, 275 x 6, 315 x 6, 365 x 4
Bulgarian Split Squats: 37.5’s x 5, 55’s x 5, 80’s x 5. Used straps on last set.
Chin-up burnout: 13 x, 8x
Single Leg-curl: 2 x 6

Not my best day, and I didn’t expect it to be a good day. I’ve had a cold the past two days. I slept for 13-14 hours on Tuesday after taking some nyquil. My allergies have really been flaring up on me. I’ve been recommended to start balancing my pulling strength with my pushing strength. It’s pretty bad when I can only do 13 chinups and bench 285, this issue really needs work.

Warmup (foam roll, light static stretch, 400yd jog, hip mobility, sprint drills, MB throws)

Speed Work: 300yds
3 x 20yds
3 x 40yds
2 x 60yds

MT (Mortar): 3 x

Power Shrugs: 4 x 5, 135lbs
Trap Bar Deadlift (machine): 3 x 10 w/ 135, 1 x 3 w/ 225. Started light and easy.
Bulgarian Split Squat: 47.5’s x 5, 60’s x 5, 85’s x 5

I just started using this pre-workout supplement called “Jack3d.” I think my focus really benefitted from using this. I previously just used caffeine + L-tyrosine. With the speed work, I’ve been doing this with cleats on field turf. I’m having some trouble dorsiflexing since I have new cleats that need some breaking in, might have to use my old cleats. I also feel that I’m not driving my arms vigorous enough when I’m at top speed. Surprisingly, in my warmups I did an OHB throw a yard farther than I usually do. This is a good sign. My training will be great as long as I can focus on constant glute contraction through every movement.

Warmup

Chinups: 5 x 6, used straps
CG Bench: 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 5
DB Rows: 3 x 10

Peestal: x 10

Low intense swimming afterwards.

It’s supposed to rain hard tomorrow, I may not get to do speed work outside, or I may wait till thursday. I’m also planning on doing some testing soon like the 40 and the VJ just to see where I’m at right now.