Training for Tryouts

The only untrained muscle that can lift the bodyweight 100 times when isolated is the calf. It is the strongest muscle in the body.

Bruce Lee said something like – the most power/force is applied when you strike something if you do not try to punch through it.

Charlie Francis said something like – when spinning a wheel by hand sharp jabs is the way to go.

By lifting your heels higher off the ground and keeping the bodyline I mentioned earlier you are overbalancing more. Do not try for triple extension go for distance.

so quick but powerful strikes as opposed to focusing on pushing all the way through, kinda like the force-impulse theorem

ill try it tomorrow

tues august 8

some mobility stuff

notes:
-back from a cruise. they had a rubber track and a weightroom with db’s up to 75 lbs so i still did some strength training and running, though definitely in lower volume. hopefully it acts as an unload as opposed to detrain. i kept with pretty much the same schedule just lighter weights and less volume of running
-plan for until i leave for college is as follows:

wed->testing, plyos, mon lifting
thurs->longhills, circuits c, tues lifting
fri -> distance, circuits b
sat -> stretch, self-massage
sun -> short hills/mechanical work, thurs lifting
mon -> tempo, circuits a, fri lifting
tues -> stretch, self-massage
wed -> testing, plyos, max lift testing (pc, squat, bench)

I know nothing about the force-impulse theorem

You simply gettting yourself in a position where you are falling to the extent you are maxamising the direction of the force which is towards the finish line. When you are getting close you will find on the second or third step that step will be that fast that you will completely miss the ground. Relax, go for distance and think about what you are trying to achieve. Use blocks and make the first movement a lift if the elbow on the same side as the rear keg (a moving object can be moved faster that a stationary one)

ok, sounds good. no blocks to use today but ill try the rest.

and here’s impulse -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_(physics) it doesnt really directly apply to anything like sprinting or throwing a punch but has that same mindset as bruce lee was talking about, either decrease time and do the same change in velocity to increase force, or in the same time interval have a larger change in velocity to increase force (either reduce gct or hit the ground and come off it with more speed)

wed aug 10

dynamic warm-up w/ flip and flag
stretch checks
2 build ups
4x30m 4.16, 4.10, 4.26, 3.97
4x30m fly w/ 40m build 3.38, 3.36

functional warm-up
3 verticals
mon lifting

stretch

notes:
-probably gonna end up taking tomorrow off, but not sure yet. i might be going into the city in the morning and wont be back late so no room for a workout. ill probably be burnt tomorrow anyways so nbd. i could feel my legs getting roasted while running and know ill be sore from lifting :stuck_out_tongue:
-i think i may have mismeasured my flys or something because those are really slow fly times even for me. i did have trouble getting into that bouncy hip height compact upright stride initially but even once i got it the times were slow. maybe i was tired or something, who knows?
-for some reason my 30m is much faster from a 2 pt stance. thats how i went sub 4 (plus i took the slight headwind id been using and make it a tailwind)
-didnt measure the verticals but using sady’s vert methods i was jumpin the same height so hopefully wth some practice i can be cracking 3 ft consistently

thurs aug 11

notes:
-new plan, had to take today off, mega sore anyways so nbd, i could probably use it:
fri->longhills, circuits c, tues lifting
sat -> distance, circuits b
sun -> short hills/mechanical work, thurs lifting
mon -> tempo, circuits a, fri lifting
tues -> stretch, self-massage
wed -> testing, plyos, max lift testing (pc, squat, bench) & medball work
distance and circuits are both mega low intensity so i think thatll be enough recovery

fri aug 12

functional warm up
4x60" hill runs r: ~5’

jump rope
circuits c
lifting tues
stretch

notes:
-still some quad and glute soreness
-cut the step ups short because i began to feel pressure in my lower back. i’m not a huge fan of step ups
-did some short blast outs from 3 pt and a couple transition runs from running a’s to top speed mech and i made sure to hit triple ext and at top speed not to lean my torso back but to keep the running a motion. both felt good and natural and looked alright. ill try to get some tape on my next speed day

sat aug 13

functional warm-up
30’ jog

jump rope
circuits b
stretch

notes:
-still minor quad soreness, shoulder area a bit fatigued but felt pretty fresh today, should be good to go HI tomorrow

mon aug 14

weigh in -> 148

dynamic warm-up w/ flip and human flag
stretch checks
3x20m hill fall start, 2pt, 3pt r: 2’,2’,4’
3x20m push-up start r: 2’,2’,4’
2x60m fef 2pt r: 5’,10’
2x40m 3pt r: 4’,8’ 5.36
3x10 fly w/ 50m build 2 pt r: 3.5’ 1.03, 1.04, 1.10

functional warm-up
lifting thurs

stretch

notes:
-didnt have time for half the sets of squats, i might be sore from the amount i did anyways so itll be okay
-got some video, will post them along with any times i got when i have a chance. still hard for me to feel comfortable at top speed during a fly, i feel better going from running a’s to upright running than i do acceling to it
-i felt i was able to push through 40 today, video didnt look so bad but the time was :confused:

mon aug 18

functional warm-up
2200m grass tempo circuit
(1+1+1++
1+1+2+1++
1+2+2+1++
1+2+1+1++
1+1+1

jump rope
circuits a
fri lifting

stretch

notes:
-minor pectoral soreness
-noticed in some video that that really slow portion of my race (20-50m) i think is a result of not raising hip height higher earlier. i see that i actually have a positive shin angle upon gc and that would be creating braking forces. the ultimate goal would be to not cast out so i can continue pushing and accelling greater, but clearly im not strong or experienced enough to maintain that position. i think the best fix right now to stick with is a less aggresive transition phase and once im not overstriding i can work on using my weightroom strength to try and maintain positions better

//youtu.be/eAhpzGkjWYA

10m fly, 50m build from 2 pt 1.04

//youtu.be/maahJ_mKm6Q
3 pt start
//youtu.be/ZooX7bgxFRE
40m 3 pt 5.36
//youtu.be/xYUa3EKEkIw
FEF 20,20,20 2 pt
//youtu.be/a7g5bSMxKXU
push-up start

//youtu.be/6C7FA2HaGX4
push-up start

//youtu.be/nQ40f_TQjGk
10m fly w/ 50m build from 2 pt 1.03

Don’t know if anyone else notices any differences from the earlier vid, looks ok from here.

not sure if possible for others to watch frame by frame but the push-ups starts look better than the 3 pt as far as hitting positions goes. and overstriding/positive shin angles/loud steps etc after the initial accel is very obvious, i’m going to try and eliminate them because they are clear braking forces

tues aug 16

elliptical
static stretching
self-massage

tennis

notes:
-hammys are sore today, rdl’s always do that to me
-testing day tomorrow. im gonna try getting moe hip height earlier in the transition phase an well see what it does to my 30 because im sure it will help my 30-50 phase which is always ridiculously slow. also i’m going to try to have more heel recovery on my 2nd step out of the 3 pt. because my leg hits the ground so straight it forces me upwards more than it should. goals for tomorrow: 4.00 30m, 3.00 30m fly, 36" vertical, 1:20 500m, pc 185, bench 205, squat 315

wed aug 17

dynamic warm-up
stretch checks
flip and human flags
push-up start and 3pt blast out
3x30m 3 pt r: 3’,6’ 4.23, 4.27, 4.27
3x30m fly w/ 30,40,50m buil 2pt r: 4.5,5, 5.5’ 3.23, 3.20, 3.41
3x vertical 28-30", 30-32", 31-33"
1x500m 2pt 1:23.09
50 contacts plyos
static stretch

notes:
-have video, will put them up soon
-video didnt look so bad, not sure why the times were so slow. i did have some hammy soreness going into the session today, but idk if thats enough to add a couple tenths to all my tims, maybe
-didnt have time to do the max testing. i will do that tomorrow, then i leave for college. i will have to take friday off, i plan on doing some sort of bodybuilding circuit sat then start back up with the normal set up for the college training. first practice is thursday. ill do the mon and tues weight days with circuits on both days and hill runs on monday and tempo on tuesday. ill take wednesday off
-i used the mentality “get out, get up” for my starting today, and thought of a runs during flys. both felt pretty good but i guess times speak for themselves. i did notice my shoulders are kind of high at least in the 30’s so i may be tensing up a bit

thurs aug 18

weigh in -> 149

functional warm-up
pc:
barx5 r:0
135x3 r:2’
185x1 r:5’
195x1 r:5.5’
205 r:5’
215x1 F

bench:
push-upsx6 r:0
135x5 r:0
185x1 r:3’
205x1 r:5’
215x1 r:6’
225x1 F

squa (down a bit past parallel, decently wide-stance)t:
bwx2 r:0
barx6 r:0
135x5 r:0
225x3 r:3’
315x1 r:5’
325x1 r:5’
335x1 r: 5’
345x1 F

100 medball throws@15/16lbs

notes:
-i was surprised how well today went with testing maxes. lifting not that heavy and sprinting i guess has done a pretty decent job of maintaining strength i used to have and probably increased it over the summer
-all fails were very close except for the squat. i’d say for my maxes 220 bench, 335 squat and 210 pc. not bad for 149
-still had some hammy soreness, i wonder if that affected my pc and squat, but who knows?
-leave for college this afternoon, i will keep updating this journal until official team practices begin on thursday during which i’ll switch over to only posting times or video or stats but no longer the training