Training for Tryouts

Are these “try outs” to make your college Track Team? Or football team?
I have never heard of Try Outs for college Track teams here in Aust. - NO such system bursting with people here! At least not where i have seen.

ill be doing testing on thursday and will be taking video, i’ll try to get something up then. i believe my best was a 4.08 and my worst was almost 4.3, which that variation isnt too strange considering my 100 ranged from 11.3-12.1 and my 200 from 22.8 to in the 24’s

hopefully i wont be too sore from the new program to run a good time, haha

i guess the problem with my backside stuff is more when i end up with anterior hip tilt so my heels get way up behind me like around my butt

i was actually thinking the contrary with the popping up, i tend to exit the blocks at a decent angle (see the pro pic) but then dont get much more upright through at least 40. i was thinking maybe upright earlier would prevent overstriding or at least get my hips in a better position

the “tryouts” are for track, but that’s really just what the coach calls them. essentially, for fall training he allows potential walk-ons to train with the team and cuts them as he sees necessary until the proper roster size is reached. approx. 10-20 people of the fall roster of about 90 will need to be cut

tues july 19

-functional warm up
-1 mi run

-jump rope
-circuits A
-weights tues
-static stretching

notes:
-quads are pretty sore, couldn’t do full range one legged squat. minor doms in lower glutes and triceps, lower back a bit sore too
-work tends to have a higher volume of LI stuff and a lower volume of HI stuff than i’ve been used to so I’m feeling more muscle and cardio exhaustion than that burnt out feeling I’ve come to know, haha. I’m sore but don’t feel overtrained
-day off tomorrow, hopefully i can shake off the soreness so i can do my testing thursday somewhat fresh (i plan to do 3x30m 3 pt, 3x30m fly 15m build up, 10xstanding vertical, 1x500m standing). i will do taping and try to get times/measurements for at least half)

Here’s something for your birthday wish list Freelap Touch and Release

Best,
Christopher

I’m sorry, but that is crazy! 90 poeple is too much for one guy, but, at collage, what about setting up an Apprenticeship system with the “human movement” or similar study field. And train everybody. Crazy!

Sorry I cannot find the pro pic in either this or the last journal.

hmm, check my profile? i have it uploaded as my profile picture -> http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/member.php?23776-tb2010&tab=aboutme&simple=1

that is cool, maybe ill look into it for next summer!

i believe the final roster is about 70, but that includes all event people and 20 or so distance kids from xc. and there are several coaches along with the head coach that are more specialized: a sprint and hurdle coach, a jumping coach, a throwing coach, a distance coach yadda yadda.

Nope can’t see any pics

Top left hand corner of the screen when you follow that link. IT’s only a tiny pic. It’s just under his Name.
He is coming out of the blocks.

I had to log in on the profile page to see it, a conventinal start. I will wait for the vid.

i’m actually kind of confused to why my profile picture doesn’t show up on my posts, haha. i don’t know why it doesn’t. in the video i will be going out of a 3 pt stance because i don’t own any blocks, though if i dig around i can probably find older videos of me exiting the blocks

wed july 20

weigh in -> 148

elliptical warm-up
static stretching
self-massage

shoulder/neck/quad massage
pool and hottub

notes:
-leg soreness much less today, though my quads are still kind of tender. back/shoulder/traps area are pretty sore today though, and biceps and back a bit too
-will do testing tomorrow as planned. taping for timing might be tricky because i’m not sure i’ll have a camera man, but i’ll figure it out :stuck_out_tongue: its suppose to be pushing 100* tomorrow, so itll be hot, but if i stay hydrated i think the heat will keep me loose and if i’m not too beat down from mon and tues hopefully i can turn out some decent times
-usually i weigh in on sundays but i was curious so i couldn’t help myself. i think the scale i use underweighs by a couple pounds, but i just use it for comparision

thanks bold

Yeah thank’s bold, it opens in a new page and I didn’t realise I had to log in again for the pic to show, silly me.

What I see is the left arm coming too high which is pulling the spinal column out of alignment. I would start by punching that hand more towards the finish line.

The last time I did this was with through private emails with silencer23, his goal was to get to a level so a certain coach would train him, not unsimilar to you.

If I get in the road you won’t offend me by saying so.

ill happily consider all the advice i receive! and honestly i dont think my left hand always gets up so high. that was from the first day i cued the wrist flick so it probably was a bit exaggerated, but it looked cool, haha

//youtu.be/9waicBxEyX0

this is a 30m from today, from the frame-by-frame timer i get 4.13 from the first movement to chest across the finish (beginning of the hurdle).

there was a bit of a tailwind, it was probably mid-90’s out and i still have some quad soreness, but thats a pretty typical run for me