training books

I just got “Power Eating” and “Science and Practice of Strength Training” for Christmas… I started on power eating yesterday, so far I am grasping the concepts well and have enjoyed it thus far… As for SPST, I’ve skimmed through it, but it looks to be a really complicated read. Anyone read this before? Thoughts on it? Do I need to read it like 2 or 3 times to grasp it>?

i found science and practiice really straight forward and well written, just take your time, make notes if that hepls you

If you read the intro, Zatsiorsky says it is like a textbook that is meant to be studied so it’s not your average do this for speed, do this for strength, and here are some exercises. Stay focused and digest the material.

When I read it, I understood the concepts presented but I feel as though I need to read it through a second time to really grasp it. I think I read through it a little too fast, right now I’m working on Supertraining and am taking my time so that I can take more away form it on my first read.

yeah, I will probably have to take some notes or use a highlighter… Thanks for the input.

You’ll want to read certain chapters 2 or 3 times whether you grasp it or not bc the info is so invaluable!

“Science and Practise” is a good book; it might need some time for “digestion” and a second time reading after some time…

Good luck with your studying :wink:

Were you at the Vancouver seminar last year 2004?

T-Mag.com is one of the best sources of up to date information on nutrition. I would recommend doing a search of that, as many books are left behind even if they are only a year or so old. Times are a changing!

Careful of getting all info from a vested interest- read the books too!

Maybe but they push their products bit too much. It depends on what you’re trying to do in terms of fat loss, gaining maximal muscles, athletic performance, etc…

This is the same company that came out with a supplement that would “inhibit” myostatin gene expression.

They have some excellent articles, just be careful with what you read from them.

It is like the stock pickers. They have to state on TV, when giving a recommendation, if they have a vested interest in the stock they are talking about. Many of the articles have that promotional side, which leads me to be that “dinero” is more important than “la verdad”, or the truth. Santana.

I think the most useful articles on T-mag are probably Ian King’s.

Yes and I would further suggest his older stuff is the best he has done.

CT has some useful stuff too, but not all is applicable to sports performance, in fact all his recent stuff is ‘aesthetically focused’

T-mag is losing it’s cred slowly

As for the the Prodigal Bicep ‘Guru’ … forget about it.

amazon.com now has this book.

Tell me what you think of this book,

Strength Training for Sport
by William, Ph.D. Kraemer, Keijo Hakkinen (Paperback - January 15, 2002)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0632055685/ref=sib_rdr_ex/103-7848752-1922234?_encoding=UTF8&p=S00C#reader-page

Nutrition books (since they were mentioned at the beginning of the thread) I would highly recommend for the athlete include:

print books:
The Paleo Diet (Cordain)
Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill (Erasmus)
The Metabolic Diet (DiPasquale)
Biochemical and Physiological Aspects of Human Nutrition (Stipanuk; an academic text that is actually objective and recognizes the immense data for higher protein and higher fat diets)

ebooks:
Muscle Building Nutrition (Brink)
Gourmet Nutrition (Berardi)

Are all these books beneficial for athletes or just particular ones?

Although none of them are written solely with athletic performance in mind, I feel that the principles espoused are applicable to creating a foundational diet for athletes in most sports.

Di Pasquale has probably the most experience creating diets specific to the training of athletes in a variety of sports, but the other books are certainly useful for other elements of the nutritional plan. His Anabolic Solution for Powerlifters book is probably most applicable to those in relatively anaerobic oriented sports, e.g. American football.

May we compare “Supertraining” vs “Science and Practice of strength training”