Train the Hamstrings with Heavy Eccentric Contractions to Prevent Injury and Improve

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Blog/tabid/130/EntryId/647/Tip-177-Train-the-Hamstrings-with-Heavy-Eccentric-Contractions-to-Prevent-Injury-and-Improve-Speed.aspx

just to open discussion…

Training the hamstrings in a variety of ways, with the bulk of the general strengthening methods used in the GPP and pre-comp phases, which can include heavy eccentrics will surely help to prevent injury…

With that said, nothing will do more to prevent injury then a proper training protocol that ensures that the workload is within the athlete’s respective recuperative limit.

I agree, and I don’t think that those kind of training should be maintained during the top speed work.

EXAMPLE:

GPP: Short hills + extensive tempo + controlled (eccentric hamstrings work (after 2-3 weeks intro)
SPP: accel + top speed + speed end. + hips extension focus

I’m not a fan of knee flexion exercises at all, especially glute hams and “nordic curls”. I think they actually increase your risk of a pull. Plus what is the point in training knee flexion for sports? The only time you curl your leg is to check if you stepped in dog crap.
Complexes of different hypers like the ones shown in the GPP DVD combined with barbell exercises should be enough to prevent a pull. However I agree with speedster in that the no.1 way to prevent ham pulls is smart training.

I think there Is time for everything In small dosage regarding weight training. I am also not a fan of GHR, If they are to be done, after a good prep. I also like the GHR bench more than the “natural” version who is problematic for the knee.

Regarding the specificity of movement, I agree that knee flexion might not be the most important mecanical movement in the sprint, Duh! But, we should not forget that when there Is an imbalance (for this example a structural imbalance In the hip extension fonction), It’s always better to isolate before and then to integrate.

Can you explain this please …

What is a ‘structural imbalance in the hip extension function’ …?

What is a 'structural imbalance in the hip extension function?

It Is very simple, when you do a hip extension couples of muscles fire (gluteus maximus, hamstrings muscles, adductor magnus) have major effect here.

structural
Structural imbalance is just when a muscle in the synergist have hard time follow the others strength wise. For example hamstrings muscles have hard time to “follow” the gluteus medius in producing hips extension.

There are other dysfunctions as well like (neural) the hamstring fire before the glutes when trying to produce hips extension resulting in traction of the femur upward before the actual hip extension happen.

SAHRMANN, Shirley A. (2002) Diagnosis and treatment of movement impairment syndromes. Mosby edition. 460p.

A ‘structural imbalance’ in hip extension suggests a mechanical issue - so it’s either one or the other - neural or mechanical.

I was using poliquin term about strength balance, or will u tell me that balance means that the training must be on unstable surface…?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/achieving_structural_balance

I understand that It can mean something else, just terminology here…