Tommy John

Doing some work on tommy john injuries. Saw this on TV and I can’t believe any coach would allow this. Goodluck Ny mets fans.

I view this as a form of child abuse!!!

Sad day for the sport of baseball:

Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that the Marlins anticipate Jose Fernandez needing season-ending elbow surgery.
It had been trending that direction, but this is the first we’ve heard of a Marlins source conceding that Tommy John surgery is a likely outcome. Fernandez has already undergone a pair of MRIs and a decision about his status should be made soon. The stud young right-hander has put up a 2.44 ERA and 70/13 K/BB ratio in 51 2/3 innings this season.

If you haven’t seen this young guy pitch - he’s a beast.

I heard he’s got some filthy stuff, man TJS is running rampant these days,

We have 2 camps for the reasons behind all these TJS:

1: We are babying these guys and they need to pitch more. Mr. Ryan believe these guys need to pitch more because back in the 80’s guys threw 100+ pitches every game and never had this many TJS.

2: We need to do a better job monitoring pitch count at the little league, middle, high school, and ncaa.

I could make a fight for both camps but I strongly believe overall baseball is 20 years behind in the strength and conditioning department and regeneration. I have similar thoughts with all of the Achilles injuries in football, I try to put a focus on getting therapy on the calves and reg mobility work on the surrounding areas. When football players are asked to complete those huge workloads I’m actually surprise the Achilles injuries numbers aren’t higher. The New England patriots had several tears last year and two of the players calves that I touched felt like cylinder bricks…

I love working with the injured or athletes that are tossed in the dumpster. I would love to make Vince Young my next comeback project!!!

Martin Perez was diagnosed with a partial tear of the UCL in his left elbow.
Torn elbow ligaments and Tommy John surgery go hand in hand, and it’s already been identified as an option for the 23-year-old. A non-surgical option also exists, and Perez will consult with the Rangers on the next move.

Another young talent…

The marlins trainers didn’t decide to do a mri until they saw Jose Fernandez fast ball go from 97 to 88-90mph… I think the kid was pitching injured the past few weeks because he was getting hammered…

What’s Young’s problem?

I thought his issue was between the ears?

He’s carrying too much weight, lacking general fitness, and need major speed/power work. Very similar to what Dan Pfaff talks about in his dvd’s, coaches think certain guys are done but once they are on a decent program they bounce back and have career years.

This Texas team always have crazy injuries and tons of lower body injuries.

Matt Harrison (back) has a displacement of a vertebra in his back and could be faced with spinal fusion surgery.
Harrison also has significant nerve irritation in the back. As an alternative to surgery, Harrison could also opt to live with the condition for the rest of his playing career, a more painful option but one that wouldn’t put his career in jeopardy. Surgery would almost certainly threaten to end his pitching career.

Wow!!!

Man that’s sad. Makes you want to stick with baseball or golf. Or not!

You would think those games would be easy on the body. I guess on average they are.

Hah I wonder if the rash of injuries is due to many reasons…

Ben has been working with some young baseball players with a lot of success. He attracks some interesting people just like Charlie did.
There are some people out there that see through the crappola politically and know how to get the training done and stop worrying about the rest.
It might be nice for our fellow Canadians to see that at their doorstep they have some of the best expertise in the world for training, strength and conditioning but it’s always about " let’s fire another coach" and see if they can save the world. ( yep, I am talking about the Maple Leafs. Poor sucker who just got the new job … how do you succeed under pressure like that?)
RB, it’s a great idea to specialize on the people that get cast aside by the Pro world. Knowing what I know from the various people that came to work with CF… they only came for one reason… They had no other choice to come and try and see if there really was something behind the training . It was always the same types of people. The guys at the end of their careers , had nothing to loose and needed help in fairly quick order and no time to be dicked by those who claim they know something… ( we won’t mention any names).
It’s all very simple is it not? Apply the general principles you have learned from Track that have worked repeadedly and some feel it’s magic.

I won’t say the team and I wont say who sent this document but those who knew CF might be able to figure it out if it matters.
The coach sending the training to CF several years ago did so with the knowledge of the owner of this MLB team. They wanted an opinion about the traininig from someone outside the club. Someone that knew something about the training and was outside the politics of the team.
I have said this before on the forums somewhere but there was a crazy amount of volume regarding upper body weights, exercises as was the occurance of shoulder, arm etc injuries. Sure you can make lots of arguements but you are correct RB without a doubt that the S and C world might know stuff about getting strong and maybe fit too but how about the performance aspect as it pertains to longevity, wellness and making sure you training people so they can realize their full potential. What a concept?
And early specialization is a problem but it’s done because of the lack of information of how to develop athletes opposed to getting talent and then ruining that talent.

Over the years there have been-

copy and paste CF’s work and put their own name on it
Chart Thief (s)
Tempo Thief (s)
PPL that Rename CF’s Vert. Int. and try to pass if off as their own work changing only changing the graphs around
Secret Meetings with the very Top Coaches who will never admit to it
Coaches that have turned their back on the CFTS only to have to come back after years of little return.

and Yes…the Coach that had his Program looked over by CF who btw is coming to the SACTO area later this month and who I will be listening to live.
I’m sure he has learned from his mistakes and is now helping others get to the next level.

CF left a lasting impression in Training. That is for sure.

We just need to Let bygones be bygones lol

It’s a crazy world. I interviewed with a MLB team a couple summers ago and the coaches got mad when I told them I view baseball as a speed/power sport and we would train as such. Sprint, Jump, Throw, Lb wts, and mod upper body wts. This team was doing total body band work, and squats etc on a bosu ball. I even saw players doing shitty stepups with 10lb db’s. The weightroom looked like a athletic training room. I’m surprise by the number of mlb teams that don’t even use MB!!!

Looking at the injury reports I see 18 Tommy john injuries this baseball season and we are not even half way through the season.

This is the nonsense I’m talking about.

http://nesn.com/2014/05/high-schooler-throws-194-pitches-gets-warning-from-david-price-on-twitter/

Yeah I think you are right.
One of my primary motivations on keeping this site around has been to give people a chance to see where the information has come from.
I don’t think Charlie professed to know it all and I also believe he gave credit where it was or if was and when it was due.
I find stealing of info annoying, sad and also a bit curious but I guess everyone is struggling a bit out there and maybe there don’t even realize what they are doing? Is that it?
My favorite thing was something that happened recently. My son was watching something on his phone of his dad and we he was re canting a story CF was telling… it was about coaches who mean well but have little clue… Coaches getting into their ahtletes faces before a game or race and saying really stupid crap that is totally unhelpful. James was laughing at the video of his dad and thought it was hilarious and we both started laughing about it because we both knew CF had a short fuse when it came to some things… so here was an example when I was pretty happy my son had full access to some obviously stolen content ( we own ) he found pretty easily.
AhHHH, the world works in mysterious or maybe not so mysterious ways sometimes don’t you think?

Starting pitcher program - took parts of Charlie 10 day taper.

Game day: Ice and take anti inflammatory. Drink plenty of water. Low volume mb tosses.

Day 1: Passive rest: Ice, stim, massage, shoulder prehab etc

Day 2: Active rest: Same as day 1 + Ext tempo and flushing weights

Day 3: Same as day 1+ low vol/int throwing (long toss)

Day 4: Same as day 1 + low volume/high intensity sprinting/wts. (bullpen 85% - 25-50% of previous game load)

Day 5: Same as day 1+ ext tempo

Day 6: Passive rest ice, massage stretch etc.

Day 7: Game day

Most programs will do long toss on day 2, I like to give them 2 days away from throwing.