Toe drag out the blocks

Not offended. In the context of high knees at the start and frontside mechanics the hammy is a stabiliser for the quads.

I view it as an effort to quicken the first few steps as if one was doing a ladder drills. Sprinters with longer strides would normally take fewer strides in the first 5m of race anyways. This practice of dragging the toe seems to exaggerate the “tripping motion” that the body is trying to compensate for in the beginning. The result is a faster stride rate that is comparable to their counterparts.
IMO

Did you know that if you drop a 16lb shot and fire the most powerful handgun at the same time the bullet and shot will hit the ground at the same time.
They both have to be at the same height at start.
Shot is dropped and gun fired at 90% to shot.

Have another look at the start, longer not faster.

:confused:

He is talking biomechanics.
If you’re going from knee height to the ground, the shortest way is straight down, but, if you quickly swing your foot out front, your foot will hit the ground further out, but, it will still hit the ground at the same time as dropping your foot directly down. Therefore, all you did by swinging your foot out front, is, increase stride length.
The constant in this, is Gravity.

Hopefully that explains it?

WhenLinford broke the WR every coach started teaching sideways movements out of the blocks…

When driving a drag car

it is shorter in a straight line
1st to the finish not 1st to leave the start

When the next fastest person appears the majority will copy something.

Enjoy what you are doing.

Because the hamstring is acting as a stabiliser for the quads as opposed to a break ( lift the foot). The less breaking force a muscle has the faster it will perform.

What would I know I am only a level4 coach. lol

THis helps. You guys are on such a level so I am always looking to learn. I was once told that learning can feel uncomfortable. I can see what your saying now I have to apply it to what I am seeing and using. THanks again.

Linford Christie never broke a world record (to my knowledge).

All sprinters “side-step” to some extent in the early strides from the blocks. It is a case of delivering power to overcome inertia from the set to first step, also a case of “making space” to drive the pelvis through, also a process of making time to coordinate arms and legs in this early acceleration phase. I cannot think of a sub-10 100m runner who has not side-stepped. But you need to straighten it up sooner rather than later. However it is a completely natural movement and process which shouldn’t be over-ridden because the textbook says the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Just my opinion.

He set a 200m indoor world record in 1995 running 20.25s.

Thankyou Robin I did not know that.

I consider myself a bit of a buff as a sprint historian, but that was new to me also. :slight_smile:

Ok it wasn’t Linford Christie and I didn’t know he broke any WR.

The timeframe was just before Carl Lewis came to Australia, I was coaching a kid called Jacquie Munroe, and have a vid taken at region where she won by 20m

I know of no text book that says the shortest distance between two points is in a straight line. The textbook is speed dynamics orientated to the best of my knowledge.

Guess if I had of followed the book I may now be in the revolving door.