Timing yourself

does the purple nail polish come with it? :smiley:

seriously…very good idea

Put it on ebay! :smiley:

As my friend who almost turned professional once said “timing yourself is ridiculous”. What he didnt say was that if you dont time yourself for the interval type work then you dont know what time you are actually running. If you are doing speed-endurance that is at 85-95% you can time yourself by simple getting a stop watch that has a long string at the end and rapping it around your hand untill its tight.

-dr.sprint

I don’t know, but I would think timing yourself (from start - not flying runs) gives you the advantage of skipping reaction time. With that advantage and the disadvantage of the trouble stopping your watch you might end up ±0…

To those of you who (Flash) who say that self timing is inaccurate, I strongly disagree with you. I have entire workouts of thirties, all within .05 of each other, and that’s not even a rare occurence. It’s gotten to the point where I can feel hundreths of seconds of difference. It is very accurate. I just wrap the string around my finger, and start on first step. I find that if you add about .7 you’ll get a fairly accurate FAT time (you’ll have to experiment yourself though). I will admit you do have a legitamate point about wrist tension though.

How much time should I add on? I press start a millisecond before I start moving. This is from a 3 point start. I press start when my fingers are still on the track surface. I’d say I end up pressing stop usually about a half meter or meter before the finish line as I anticipate the line rather than wait for it.

I don’t have to reach over as I press with the thumb on the hand that is carrying the watch. I’ve been adding 0.24 secs to my times.

Just get a reasonably small, hand held stopwatch that you can start and stop with your thumb so that there is no movement outside what would normally take place.

Alternatively, like one of the posts says the Casio Speedtrainer watches are brialliant and you can take splits etc with them. I have 2 but they dont make them anymore! I will take bids on them for when I retire cos they are gold dust!!!

Like Flash says, if you want consistent accurate times, buy a Speed Trap. This is as close as you will get to FAT. I have found it invaluable in my training. The price is steep, but you will use if for every speed workout and it tells you exactly where you are.

You can get start times, accelerations, flying 10/20/30/whatever. Once you do it you will never go back. Now if I could only find a coach that would train me short to long…