Thoughts on Charlie Francis and soccer

No problem :slight_smile:

Actually I’m working on two technologies for recovery, low level magnetic bioresonance mattres and grounding technology.

Chiropractic or osteophaty session, at visceral, spinal and cranial level is really usefull for ANS regulation.

I’ve tested much tools, but at the moment I’ve really good results with the above mentioned.

@ESTI: LLLT is a great tools, but in Italy, many Medical Doctor are counter many new therapeutic or recovery approaches.

Omega Wave is overpriced…there are a lot of options, much cheaper and IMO effective.
(I’ve bad experience from DiffECG from OW in example, I prefer other tests)

Right! I agree…

I agree with No23 about fitness test.

But we have to speak about kind of test and not mix different areas.

Vo2Max is a fitness test, and It’s usefull for control the start point and then progressive results from a kind of training, but Vo2 Max doesn’t tell you about your inner staus of your regulatory mechanism (functional reserve and adaptation in brief).
I can do HRV or similar, every day, 3 times a week etc…Vo2Max every day is stupid to do.
This is because I say it’s a waste of time.
Leave it to sport lab and medical doctors.

PS: lactate is another argument really interesting, there are a lot of test to do, from carbo load to metabolic fatigue…and training organization.

@speedcoach: recovery is not so simple to evaluate with only the help of your eyes or with experience specially when you work with a team and have different athletes with different skills.

At the end if you have enought informations about recovery, it’s not a bad thing!

Just to make my own position on Vo2 clear.

In ‘general’ I think it is very important.

The ability to manage O2 is critical to all sports and every sport.

I don’t think testing it is useful however and focusing on it is less important. Monitoring it is however - like Jamirok says though, not on a daily basis.

Every 6 weeks is fine - 4 if you’re paranoid.

I agree to this. Unfortunately, the soccer players who workout with me in off-season, all of them have fitness tests the first week of practice. Not one school out of the 20 I’ve come across, decided it wasn’t important.

I guess the question is how does one go about “breaking” tradition of this? Ultimately, it has to come from those in charge of the program/team.

Examples of tests used:

*Danish Test:
*2mile run
*Cooper
*Beep (continuous and intermittent recovery)
*1 mile
*“Gauntlet” consisting of 1 mile, rest 2 min, 1/2 mile, rest 2 min, 1/4 mile, rest 2 min, 2x200m, rest 35 second, 8x36yd (rest 15 second).
*Manchester Utd recovery test

Most common test is the 2 mile run, then intermittent beep.

Yeh, you’ll not change it really, all you can do is do your own work and let them test what they want to.

Charlie had some funny stories about test days - he had much the same problem of course with ice hockey players.

Thanks a lot.

1. now I guess: Oschman?
  2. please tell me one country where many doctors are in favour or new therapeutic or recovery approaches. It’s not that Italy is so different.

In the West anyway …

Tell me about it!

I’ve had experience in Germany and new technology and complementary approaches are welcome!

France, I know a guy in a team that have a 360° medical doctor and physio.

Ditto for Holland.

Speaking about ARP, other European country are much open…respect to Italy.

In Span, Applied Kinesiology is a must…

Italy has a really closed medical lobby…

I go…it’s late for me…

Jamirok,
I agree eyes don’t cut it, although I don’t train a massive amount of athletes. Just a visual on body language. Love to PM you if ok with a few questions. Unfortunately, I don’t get to control my players conditioning when season starts. I get them fit and prepped, then they get smashed in camp by coaches who have no clue what recovery looks like. They treat it as though the body can endlessly endure whatever they throw at them, and if they don’t peform, they are out of shape or lazy. The life of a private athletic prep coach.

PM me when you want.

The life of a “modern” physical coach is not simple, old school coach are too much interested to do their work, at any cost!!!

Off to class. When I get a free minute, I will PM questions. Thanks for be so helpful and open.

This is not exactly my experience, in the sense that a normal distribution holds, but you are much more experienced than me it this field, so your point of view is always very interesting.

I don’t work with soccer but I have an interest in proper training methods for many sports.

I’d be interested to see general recommendations by some of the experienced coaches around here as to how they would train a top level guy with the two months available in the off-season. Of course that means, as has been mentioned by a number of you, that maybe only a month of training-give or take a week or two- could be realistically done as they need more down time after 10 consecutive months of playing.

The other scenario is where the collegiate player is involved so naturally much more time to train would be available.

Nothing too detailed as I know that would take quite a bit of time but possibly a brief template or overview and for someone training the lower level player, how the training would transition during the training year as the player neared their season.

Thanks.

I met a brilliant massage therapist in Spain back in 2007 when I was working with Benicio Del Toro when he was shooting “Che”. We stayed at this therapist’s lodgings in the Spanish countryside for two weeks. He was the primary massage therapist for Miguel Indurain. We had very interesting discussions in French (I didn’t know Spanish and he didn’t know English) about recovery, regeneration and rehab using only the “hands” as the primary tool. In every country, I’m sure there are a handful of great craftsmen.

Jamirok, it depends on the people.
It’s too broad a classification to put complete countries in.
Some teams are open to therapies, but most/many are not.

It all comes down to the attitude of the head person - whether in a organization or team setting.

The osteopath of Lance Amstrong happens to live in my town. I went there for a tuning a couple of years ago.

Indurain was an amazing cyclist, a true great, for those of you who think cycling never existed before Jonny Mellow came along.