The Transformation of an Athlete - Live Strong's change from Boy to Beast

Let me start off by introducing myself. I am a 17 year old senior in high school that is an above average athlete, but not a good track athlete by any means. I have played other sports my entire life (mainly basketball) and have recently made the transition to track, and it is going to take a ton of work to get me to where I want to be. I have never trained for track seriously in my entire life, and I am going to this off season. I am still trying to grasp all of Charlie’s concepts, so if you see anything wrong with my plan or diet, please make a comment.

I have been on the board for about 2 years now, but I have never posted, because I could find most of the information I needed in charlie’s products or by making a search on the board. Clemson’s old website has also influenced me a ton, as I have read nearly every article and will try to apply his nutrition guidelines to my training.

To be honest, I am lazy as hell. I make training outlines all the time and set them up perfectly (diets as well), but I always find excuses to not actually do the training. I was supposed to start training at the end of may, yet I keep finding excuses why not to. This has hurt me in two ways: Obviously, my endurance has gone to an all time low because of the lack of training, and my diet has been terrible. I have always been pretty serious about diet, drinking one soda in 3 years (my mom forced it down my throat when I was vomiting out of control) and sticking to extremely healthy foods. BUT, the last few weeks I have been eating terrible and I feel and look a lot worse than I ever have in my life.

The good news is, I have been eating healthy for about 2 years now, so it will not be hard to go back to the healthy ways. I eat organic fruits and vegetables, have 5lbs of quality protein powder, and will use the HPF liquid multivitamin that clemson praises. My next post (later on today) will be my diet. It has been posted in another post by a member named “sprintspeed” as I will be using the same diet (he is my brother, I made that for him).

The first part of my GPP will be posted later on today, after the diet. It is based off of charlie’s dvd, but I will be sticking to bodyweight only exercises for the first 6-7 weeks. I have 40 weeks of training, so my gpp will be extended to around 15 weeks. My two biggest problems: Lack of endurance and extreme unflexibility. I will focus on this during the first 6 weeks of GPP when I do not touch a weight. My strength training will be focused on medicine ball work, upper body depletion (pullups/pushups), weighted vest exercises, yoga, and possibly kayaking/rock climbing. The GPP may not be ideal for everyone, but I feel 6 solid weeks of working with only my body and high tempo/circuit volumes will be unbelievably helpful for me. I can probably cut 4 seconds off of my 400m time by improving my endurance and my flexibility. Without rambling on too much, my training will be for the 400m and the 200m. I will try to increase speed and get into the best shape possible.

Lastly, I read a post by clemson where he told a member to “post pictures of his abs every week” to prove that he was seriously eating healthy and working out. I find this a good idea, and will post a picture of my abs and upper body once a month. This will ensure that I stick to the diet and the workouts.

Wow, what a long post. Sorry for rambling on so much. My next post will have my diet completely laid out with pictures of my abs, and the third post will be my gpp outline.

EDIT: I forgot to add, training will begin on June 20th! Stay tuned…

Here is my diet, as I said, I made it along with my brother and we will be following it together.

7:00am-
HPF Liquid Multivitamin
1 Cup Oatmeal with rasberries and other fruit on top
Vegetable Omelet
2 glasses water
Usana Multivitamin

10:am-
Homemade Berardi protein oatbar

12:30pm-
PBJ on Whole Wheat
Roast Beef on Whole Wheat
Carrots/Broccoli/Cauliflower with ranch dressing
1 Serving Peanuts
1 Apple
2 glasses water

4:00pm-
Tuna mixed with assortment of vegetables
2 glasses water

6:00 (post workout)
-Low carb grow mixed with gatorade

6:30-
Whatever we have for dinner, most of the time it is meat, vegetables, and rice

9:30pm-
-Cottage Cheese topped with low carb grow

10:15pm (right before bed)-
10g of glutamine in water

Other Breakfast options-
A)Oatmeal, Small Vegetable Omelet, Fruit Assortment, 2 glasses water
B)Yogurt Parfait, 2 glasses water
C)Cottage Cheese topped wit Pineapple, Muffin, 2 glasses water
D)Whole Wheat Pancakes with scoop protein powder, fruit assortment, 2 glasses water
E)Omelet with meat/vegetables, Fruit Assortment, 2 glasses water
F)Oatmeal with 2 scoops protein powder topped with raisins, 2 glasses water
G)Bran Porridge (JB recipe), Fruit Assortment, 2 glasses water
H)Oatmeal Apple Pie (JB recipe), Fruit Assortment, 2 glasses water
I)Muesli (JB recipe), Fruit Assortment, 2 glasses water

Other Snack Options-
A) Fresh Rasberries
B) Other organic fruit/vegetables
C) Cottage Cheese
D) Assortment of Nuts
E) JB’s oatbar recipe
F) JB’s protein muffins and other recipes

Hopefully that diet works out how I want it to. Now, the moment of truth. I am going to post pictures of myself that were taken last night, after the weeks of eating terrible foods. While this is not an excuse, I feel more embarassed than anything because you can’t even see my 6-pack anymore. I am 157 pounds, which seems light, yet my 6 pack is gone. Obviously, I am scrawny as hell in the upper body. Anyways, here we go:

Diet looks in check… Now to add in the quality training, I wouldn’t see why you can’t get good results. Keep with it man.

Here we go, here is the 7 week GPP program I made based off of the GPP dvd. Thanks to Nikoluski for posting his plan in the other GPP thread, as I used that quite a bit while designing this. I do not have any weightlifting for the first 7 weeks, with a major focus on upper body depletion, addition of weight vest in later weeks, and gymnastics movements (planche progressions). I will be doing yoga 2x a week except for week 1 (should I do more). I have one 20 minute general medball circuit in the AM on low intensity days (6 pound ball) and I may do general medball work before tempo days before my warmup.

My two main goals of this 6 week phase is to increase flexibility and improve endurance. Both should come through the workouts. PNF stretching once a week on top of microstreching each day with the fraid nots system. Please comment on this if you have an opinion.

Anyways here it is:

GPP Week 1
Day 1 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Hill Work, Heavy Pull/light push, abs microstretching
Day 2 (Low Intensity): A.M. Yoga workout, PM-Warmup 1, Tempo, Hurdle Mobility, abs, microstretching
Day 3 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Hill Work, Heavy Push/light pull, abs microstretching
Day 4 (Low Intensity): A.M. Yoga workout, PM-Warmup 1, Tempo, Hurdle Mobility, abs, microstretching
Day 5 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Hill Work, Heavy Pull/light push, abs microstretching
Day 6 (Low Intensity): A.M. Yoga workout, PM-Warmup 1, Tempo, Hurdle Mobility, abs, microstretching
Day 7: PNF total body

As Shown on DVD: Warmup 1+2, Hill work, Tempo 2x(3x100m), Hurdle Mobility, abs (150 on hill days, 300 on tempo)

Heavy Pull/Light Push Day:
I. Pullups: 3x maximum with 3 minutes rest
II. Pushups: Various reps (standard, incline, decline, Charles Atlas, various hand positions)-75 reps
III. 3x50 Fly Pull with light Tubing

Heavy Push/Light Pull Day:
I. Pushups: 4x 35 seconds with 2 minutes rest
II. Pullups- 2x10 reps
III. 3x50 Fly Pull with light Tubing
IV. 1x planche progression exercise

Yoga Workout-Undecided

GPP Week 2 (intro medball work)
Day 1 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Hill Work, Heavy Pull/light push, abs microstretching
Day 2 (Low Intensity): A.M. Yoga workout, PM-Warmup 1, 50 medball reps, Tempo, Hurdle Mobility, abs, microstretching
Day 3 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Hill Work, Heavy Push/light pull, abs microstretching
Day 4 (Low Intensity): A.M. Medicine ball workout (20 minutes), PM-Warmup 1, Tempo, Hurdle Mobility, abs, microstretching
Day 5 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Hill Work, Heavy Pull/light push, abs microstretching
Day 6 (Low Intensity): A.M. Yoga workout, PM-Warmup 1, Javorek Complexes, Hurdle Mobility, abs, microstretching

Notes:
-Tempo: 3x(100+200+100m), 3600m for the week
-Abs: (200 on hill days, 400 on tempo)
-20 minute medball workout: low intensity tosses shown on dvd, against the wall or as shown in the warmup section
-Javorek Complex Workout:
Circuit (45 lb bar):
Hang Clean
Military Press
Curl
Squat
Push Press
Lunge (each leg)
Bent Over Row

Do 10 reps of each exercise in circuit fashion. Do 3 minutes of jumping rope after each set. Go through the circuit two times, rest 2 minutes

GPP Week 3 (intro weight vest)
Day 2 (Low Intensity): A.M. Yoga workout, PM-Warmup 1, 50 medball reps, Tempo, Hurdle Mobility, abs, microstretching
Day 4 (Low Intensity): A.M. Medicine ball workout (20 minutes), PM-Warmup 1, Tempo, Hurdle Mobility, abs, microstretching
Day 6 (Low Intensity): A.M. Yoga workout, PM-Warmup 1, 50 medball reps, Tempo, Hurdle Mobility, abs, microstretching

Notes:
Tempo: 3x(100+200+200+100m)
Ab Work: 300 on hill days, 500 on tempo
Med Ball work: as on DVD (50+20+50reps)
Heavy Pull/Light Push:
I. 3x depletion pull-ups with 3 minutes rest, 5% of bodyweight load with weight vest
II. 100 various pushup reps with 5% load

I. 3x35 seconds pushups with 5% load
II. 3x5 wide grip pull-ups
III. 1x planche progression exercise
GPP Week 4
Day 1 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Hill Work, Heavy Push/light pull, abs microstretching
Day 3 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Hill Work, Heavy Pull/light push, abs microstretching
Day 5 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Hill Work, Heavy Push/light pull, abs microstretching
Day 6 (Low Intensity): A.M. Yoga workout, PM-Warmup 1, Tempo, Hurdle Mobility, abs, microstretching

Notes:
Tempo-3x(4x200m)
Abs: 350 on hill days, 550 on tempo days
Heavy Pull/Light Push:
III. 4x depletion pull-ups with 3 minutes rest, 7% of bodyweight load with weight vest
IV. 125 various pushup reps with 7% load

IV. 3x50 seconds pushups with 5% load, 2x planche progression excercises
4x5 wide grip pull-ups

GPP Week 5 (intro track work)
Day 1 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Hill Work, Heavy Pull/light push, abs, microstretching
Day 3 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Track Work, Heavy Push/light pull, abs microstretching

Track Work: As on DVD
Tempo: 2200m per workout
Medball Work: 20+50+20
Abs: 400 on hill days, 600 on tempo days
Heavy Pull/Light Push:
V. 2x depletion pull-ups with 3 minutes rest, 7% of bodyweight load with weight vest, 2x maximum duration lockoffs
VI. 150 various pushup reps with 7% load

V. 3x50 seconds pushups with 5% load, 2x planche progression exercises
4x5 wide grip pull-ups

GPP Week 6 (2x track work)
Day 1 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Track Work, Heavy Push/light pull, abs, microstretching
Day 3 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Hill Work, Heavy Pull/light push, abs microstretching
Day 5 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Track Work, Heavy Push/light pull, abs microstretching
Day 7: Pnf total body

Notes:
Track Work: as on dvd
Tempo work: 100+200+200+100m
2x300m
100+200+200+100m
Abs: 400 hill days, 600 tempo
Heavy Push/Light Pull:
I. 4x45 seconds with 10% load
II. 3x planche progression
III. 3x50 fly pull with light tubing, 50 reps pull-ups with 10% load (as many sets as needed)
Heavy Pull/Light Push:
I. 4x depletion pull-ups with 10% load
II. 3x50 fly pull with light tube/2x planche progression
III. 120 pushup reps with 10% load

GPP Week 7 (3x track work)
Day 1 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Track Work, Heavy Pull/light push, abs, microstretching
Day 3 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Track Work, Heavy Push/light pull, abs microstretching
Day 5 (High Intensity): Warmup 1+2, Track Work, Heavy Pull/light push, abs microstretching
Day 6 (Low Intensity): A.M. Yoga workout, PM-Medball work, hill work
Day 7: Pnf total body
Notes:
Sat warm up 1 (+ general Med Ball throws and/or with partner or wall, if…)*
Med Ball work: 8x med ball accel (1)
8x med ball accel (2)
total volume: 16reps
Hill work 8x60m on Sat –full rec

Ab reps: 400/800

Heavy Pull/Light Push:
I. 4x depletion pull-ups with 12% load, 3x lockoffs with maximum time
II. 3x50 fly pull with light tube/2x planche progression
III.120 pushup reps with 10% load

Heavy Push/Light Pull
I. 4x depletion pushups with 12% load
II. 3x40 fly pull
III. 3x planche progression
IV. 2x depletion wide grip pullups

Just a few comments, if I may…

It has been suggested by others in the forum (Clemson and Flash, if I am not mistaken) that PNF can be used on speed days with microstretching done on tempo days.

If one of your main purposes for this GPP is to increase flexibility, I would introduce hurdle work a bit later on (e.g., Week 3), especially if this flexibility “problem” is around your hip area. You should be able to have a greater range of motion after this, but on the hurdles (new element perhaps for you); this might not necessarily apply to you, just a suggestion -you know your self better…

Week 2, Day 6 (?), I suppose you’ve got Tempo again that it’s not in there -judging from weekly volume.

Also, why this “Javorek” routine? Just asking… Is this repeated in following weeks? I can’t remember, sorry…

I would look again the vest and %BW progressions; perhaps it’s ok for you, I don’t know. E.g., Week 4 you increase both depletion sets and %BW and you might have reached this % quite quickly (e.g., for the pull ups?). Just try it as it is and see how it goes…

When you get all these in, you should be feeling quite fit!

Good luck!
:wink:

Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow what you say and change the hurdle work to week 3. Also, the javorek complexes were put in there to provide a change up from tempo. I was planning on doing it more often, and changed my mind, and will most likely just do tempo on those days.

I will take a look tomorrow over the vest weight loads, and change them as you suggested.

Thanks.

would this be after the speed work?

Charlie has done it before speed work with his athletes and I like to do it after since I am not as experienced.

In heavy training I do it before and then after a few strides it resets the tone. Most research on preworkout stretches show a problem right after. Using a great warm-up for 30 minutes I have found that the phyiological impact is negated so you can do preworkout stretches provided you do special exericises to reset the tone and nervous system.

Clemson, thanks for this!

Live Strong, I hope you understand that those were just suggestions, not orders!
:slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies. I know that your suggestions are not orders, but they make sense and I think I should change them.

I am going to a school function called boys state for the next week, so I will not be around. Training starts immediately after that.

Alright, I am back from boys state and had a GREAT experience. Met tons of new people and learned tons about the government.

Training was supposed to start today, but it was moved to start tomorrow. I have to work another kids shift today at noon so I did not have time to workout. Also, my eyes were bloodshot red last night and I have a real sore throat this morning. I will have to watch out for that.

I was 156 when I left for boys state, and after 7 days of all you can eat buffet 3 times a day, I am 155 now. How I lost weight, I do not know. But after gpp, I would like to get down to about 148 or so.

The journey begins…

6/21/05 Hills/Heavy Pull (light push)
Today’s workout was a great start to the gpp training that I am doing. I did:

-Extended Warmup 1 (dvd)
-Hill workout for monday (week 1) off dvd
-Depletion Pullups at (10, 7,5) with 3 minutes rest in between
-25 pushups, 18 charles atlas pushups, 15 decline pushups
-150 ab reps
-30 minutes microstretching with the fraid nots

Overall, the workout went great. I was extremely dissapointed with my pullup repetitions, as 10 is pitiful and embarassing. I was able to do up to 24 just a few months ago, but I guess it goes away fast. Also, my quads felt extremely tight during hills, so I will focus on that when I stretch later. Other than that, it went great and I am looking forward to tempo tomorrow!

June 22, 2004
Tempo

Warmup:
6 minute jog
Body circles (head, arms, shoulders, hips, knees, ankles)
2x10 bodyweight squats
2x10m walking hip flexor stretch
15 second static stretching (arms, shoulders, hamstrings, quads)
dynamic groin warmup
2x10m running a’s
2x10m butt kicks
2x10m walking lunges
2x10m form kicks
15 kick throughs each leg

Tempo:
2x3x100m with 25 seconds rest between runs, 100m walk between sets

Really good workout today. That is the warmup I have been doing, and it takes about 25 minutes and really warms me up. The tempo was short meterage (sp?), but it was perfect for where I am at right now. I am in poor shape, so I get a good enough workout in, and it will allow me to progress.

My diet was decent today, not perfect, but what can you expect. Basically, this is what i have ate so far:

Meal 1: 2 eggs mixed with chopped carrots, celery, steak

Meal 2: Went out to lunch, longhorne steakhouse and I had a salad topped with steak and whole wheat bread (not perfect, but a pretty good solution to going out to eat)

Meal 3: Homemade protein bar (JB’s recipe), it is a peanut/banana recipe and has nothing bad in it (oat flour, oatmeal, protein powder, sugar for taste, natural peanut butter, bananas)

Meal 4: My mom made barbeque chicken sandwhiches, so I will eat one and load up on fruits/veggies

Meal 5: I will have a protein shake of some sort

Alright, I am going to eat now. I am going to do 30 minutes of full body microstretching with fraid nots after dinner, and 300 ab reps…

Keep Up the great work!

Thanks for the encouragement.

I will not work out today due to soreness that is left over from monday’s workout. I did not completely recover and feel that a day off would be beneficial. I will still do 30 minutes microstretching and 150 ab reps…

Updates…

Still a lot of soreness today. Do not know if I want to workout because of it. If I do, I will do a light circuit like javorek complexes. The soreness has messed my week of training up, so I will start week 1 over again on monday, except I will do tempo tomorrow also. Going on vacation, will be doing tempo and sprints on the beach. I am only bringing my fraid nots and a medball with me…

July 5, 2005
Hills/Upper body depletion

Got back from vacation the other day, and started my plan over again today. Got up early and got the workout in. Today I did:

-30 minute warmup
-10x10m hill sprints
-3x depletion pullups (stopped with about 2 reps left in me) The reps went 8, 5, 4
-20 seconds pushups (30 seconds rest), 15 seconds pushups (20 seconds rest), 10 seconds pushups
-8 minute contrast shower
-40 minutes stretching with the fraid nots

It was really hard for me to warmup today, I seemed really stiff and tight the entire time. My conditioning is very poor, as well as my strength. Judging by my pullup results, my strength is about 1/3 of what it was a few months ago, and my conditioning is probably down 50%. I will really focus on this and I should be back and better in a few short weeks. Tempo tomorrow!

NOTEAfter recent talks with a few members of the board, I have decided to start my original gpp outline in september. Until then, I will be doing lots of bodyweight work trying to get myself into prime shape to start gpp!

July 13, 2005
Rope Work+Circuits

3x3 minutes rope work with 1 minute rest in between sets

**Each of the following is done in CIRCUIT fashion. I do the first to exercises listed with no rest, then I take a 45 second break, and progress onto the rest of the exercises this way. I went through it 5 times. I did 10 reps of each exercise unless otherwise noted.

A. 20 Pushups
B. 10 Medicine Ball Slams (jump up and lift medball over head, slam it to ground, repeat)

C. Push Press (45lb)
D. Dips (5-7 reps, whatever i could do)

E. Plate raise (sitting down, lifted over head)
F. Tricep Extension
G. 20 Crunchers

July 14, 2005
Rope Work +GPP

3x3 minutes rope work with 1 minute rest between sets

GPP CIRCUIT: 5 times through done without rest (30 seconds each exercise)
-Jumping Jacks
-Split Shuffle
-Side to side jumps
-Crunchers

July 15, 2005
Rest

Very sore today. I just went on a 30 minute walk with a 20lb weight vest on. I will do 300 ab reps and microstretch today as well.

Almost 1 month in! Make sure you take some new pics so you can quantify it all at the end of the this thing.

Hope you’re holding out…

TC

sounds like lazy talk to me.